Mattresses!

Guest Bazinga

Guest Bazinga

Please settle a row between Mr B and myself. I would like to take our mattress top, the kids ready beds (mattress plus sleeping bag) & the small (soft) mattress for the travel cot. He says there is no point as they're not allowed in the country? Same as our bed which is a metal flat pack jobby.

Who is right??!

I'm not bothering with our mattresses, but then again they're rubbish and need replacing anyway!

I think they're ok - haven't been told otherwise by the removal companies so far.... Others will know for sure

(edit)

And your bed will be fine for sure!

Hi we took our very large king size memory foam mattress with no problems at all, would have been good though if they could have shrunk it back to how it was when we first had it delivered to us, would have taken up a lot less room! :wacko:

Sorry forgot to mention, all our beds were wooden, and they went over fine also, as did metal computor desks etc!

Guest Bazinga

I keep telling him this! He won't believe me and he's AUSTRALIAN!

Thank you lovelies. I shall show him this post. We rent at the moment so don't own all our furniture. He thinks that we should just buy all new stuff out there!

Just remember that if you are lucky enough to secure a rental nice and quickly you may not have your container, so you will still need to buy things to see you through, we did buy some cheap airbeds and bed stuff fairly cheaply and pillows etc, we had two week delay between moving into our rental and our container arriving at the door, also kitchen essentials we had to buy etc x

Do you's think it would be a good idea to buy NEW memory foam mattresses here to take with us before they get "opened" ? We lurve our m foam mattress but wouldnt be a bad idea to replace it before we go.

I'm unsure of customs & tax etc for bringing new stuff into the country & how to get round it (i know about buying a new hoover & using it once or twice only)

Guest Hatton
Do you's think it would be a good idea to buy NEW memory foam mattresses here to take with us before they get "opened" ? We lurve our m foam mattress but wouldnt be a bad idea to replace it before we go.

I'm unsure of customs & tax etc for bringing new stuff into the country & how to get round it (i know about buying a new hoover & using it once or twice only)

Yes defiantly, after you have slept on a memory foam mattress you never go back, they are very expensive in Oz,:cute:

Yes defiantly, after you have slept on a memory foam mattress you never go back, they are very expensive in Oz,:cute:

Just remember that you've had them in storage for 12 months at least....right? Otherwise pay duties and taxes on them. :biggrin:

I have a feeling that the bed sizes are different here - you might want to check that out.

The Ergoflex is going for around $900 on line at the moment - much cheaper than the $3k for other brands.

Just debating whether to get a memory foam mattress or not at the moment. If anyone has one here, do you get hot in the summer???

Guest Hatton
I have a feeling that the bed sizes are different here - you might want to check that out.

The Ergoflex is going for around $900 on line at the moment - much cheaper than the $3k for other brands.

Just debating whether to get a memory foam mattress or not at the moment. If anyone has one here, do you get hot in the summer???

Yes, they are warmer than normal mattress.

Just remember that you've had them in storage for 12 months at least....right? Otherwise pay duties and taxes on them. :biggrin:

Perhaps be prepared to be asked for proof of this with receipts/delivery note etc?

We've some new stuff still boxed (and it'll remain that way till after the move to Aus now probably) but I can prove when I got it and that we would have owned it all for longer than a year should customs ask at the other end. Maybe they won't but can't be too careful with larger items like a mattress I reckon.

Hi Quoll, ours seem to stay cool in the summer, and all nice and cosy in the winter, we have just purchased single size one's for the kids, Wish i had got them sooner, They seem to sleep so much better for them, my son is a very warm child, never really feels the cold even when we had -6 temps, he doesn't find it hot at all on the warm nights :cute:

Mmm ok so mental note to myself.. when we finally get sorted out with whats going to happen re visas/hubbys work etc we should maybe buy the things we want to take over new (ie mattress/hoover) so we have reciepts showing we have owned them for atleast a year prior to moving over. (what a palaver)

Guess i need to check out Aussie bed sizes perhaps, our bed here is a normal kingsize.

Hi

does that go for every thing?

i was thinking of buying new to replace things that need it before we go as its so expensive out there.

thanks julie

Mmm ok so mental note to myself.. when we finally get sorted out with whats going to happen re visas/hubbys work etc we should maybe buy the things we want to take over new (ie mattress/hoover) so we have reciepts showing we have owned them for atleast a year prior to moving over. (what a palaver)

Guess i need to check out Aussie bed sizes perhaps, our bed here is a normal kingsize.

Check out Wikipedia for that info :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

For big things that people buy new and ship over, the general rule of thumb seems to be unpack it and use it a bit. So it doesn't appear 'new'. Of course can be a bit hard with a new smelling sofa or some such.

TBH buying a year in advance and using it a bit or keeping it packed with receipts isn't too bad if you plan this rather than in the run up to the actual move.

I believe so Julie :( Re the hoover , they have to be immulately clean i think which is nearly impossible i'd reckon so I was advised buy a new one here, use it lightly a couple of times, empty it out & swill the drum with disinfectant. Thats what I'm going to do as no way could i get my dyson holes all clean & inside hoses etc.

Archived