Where in Tas would you go if you were starting again?

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Hi all

Unfortunately I have just separated from my wife and I'm feeling pretty Cr*p. When we got together she said she would live in a tent with me no matter where it was. After 4 years this has changed I'm told and she no longer wants to have kids either. I got my residency out of it but its little consolation to me to be honest. I'm fed up with Sydney and fancy a sea change but my wife would not even discuss this which ultimately led to our break-up amongst other things (long story). I've been in Sydney for two years.

Ive always wanted to live in Tassie even before I visited there. We went a few weeks ago and It confirmed everything I suspected - it really is a special place. Anyway, I'm going to buy a car in the next 3 months, pack up my stuff and jump on the ferry to Tassie. But where do I go?

As an overview, I'm 39, healthy and a Graphic Designer by trade but I'm open to any kind of work.

The Huon Valley looks interesting, as does Cygnet or maybe launy but I'm still looking.

I have some savings that could get me by a month or two until I found me feet.

Siam Susie (hi) was always helpful in the past when I had questions about Tassie but I'd be really delighted to hear everyone's views. The whole prospect is scary and exciting but it feels right.

Do you think I'm mad?

Guest siamsusie
Hi all

Unfortunately I have just separated from my wife and I'm feeling pretty Cr*p. When we got together she said she would live in a tent with me no matter where it was. After 4 years this has changed I'm told and she no longer wants to have kids either. I got my residency out of it but its little consolation to me to be honest. I'm fed up with Sydney and fancy a sea change but my wife would not even discuss this which ultimately led to our break-up amongst other things (long story). I've been in Sydney for two years.

Ive always wanted to live in Tassie even before I visited there. We went a few weeks ago and It confirmed everything I suspected - it really is a special place. Anyway, I'm going to buy a car in the next 3 months, pack up my stuff and jump on the ferry to Tassie. But where do I go?

As an overview, I'm 39, healthy and a Graphic Designer by trade but I'm open to any kind of work.

The Huon Valley looks interesting, as does Cygnet or maybe launy but I'm still looking.

Siam Susie (hi) was always helpful in the past when I had questions about Tassie but I'd be really delighted to hear everyone's views. The whole prospect is scary and exciting but it feels right.

Do you think I'm mad?

:hug: lovely to see you and Tasmania could be one of the most therapeutic places you could come to.

If you decide to wish to live in Tasmania, my advice would be perhaps to fly into Tasmania and have a look around at employments prospects, accomodation etc.

Buying a car on the mainland will involve you having to put the car over the pits and re rego'ing it if you do decide to stay, which is just another expense.

We have a spare car you can borrow (an old one but upto date service wise... she has seen a few kms from Karratha to Tasmania quite a few times but she goes like the clappers.) and you can look around the island , just to get a feel for the place.

Workwise, I cant help you, maybe Hobart is better, its a gorgeous place... I am at Greens Beach which is 40mins from Launceston & Devonport (where the boat comes in).. a gorgeous national park across the road..beaches etc ...Cradle Mountain and Ben Lomond are in our vacinity ....rentals shouldnt be hard to find throughout the island .

Skani one of our members in Hobart is also excellent at giving advice on the island etc, I am sure she will also pick up your post and reply.

I am very very sad to hear of your situation, and you know whatever I can do to help, I will.

:hug:Susie xx

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Thanks Everyone, especially Siamsusie - What an incredibly generous offer. I have so much to digest right now but I wouldn't feel right taking off with your car (i've heard about the roadkill stats over there). That's interesting about having to re-rego the car, I hadn't considered that expense.

Guest siamsusie

To be honest Tayconnors I dont see that much road kill here compared to WA for example.

The Nullarbor had to be the worst for me, it forever stuck in my mind when I first came to Australia.

Night driving without street lights.. I am very careful of the wildlife.. the size of the red roos in WA used to quite off putting when they crashed into your car from no where!

You know where to find me and the offer still stands.. I will pm you with my phone number.

Susie x

Guest stormgal

hey Taytoconnorrs!

Your story sounds so familiar to mine lol. I'm also looking at tassie, but haven't been there. I know what you're talking about because I recently ran across some pictures and videos from the internet, and loved the way it looks! I found exactly what I love.

Guest Taytoconnorrs

I went to a fantastic wildlife park that was about 35 mins out of Hobart called Bunarong wildlife sanctuary. They do fantastic work there, Tassie devils, wombats, Koalas and we even hand fed roos, they are incredibly affectionate which surprised me. The guy that runs the park claims that Tasmania has the highest rate of roadkill in the world!!!!!!! He gave some great tips too, saying if you ever come across Roadkill you should move it to the side of the road to prevent other animals being killed who are feeding on the carcass and also check the pouch for joey's as they are normally fine even though the mother might not have made it.

I'm sorry to hear of your personal situation, Taytoconnorrs, but a choice between Sydney and Tassie is a no brainer for me!

I guess, jobwise, the Hobart area would be the best chance for you but that gives you the option of living in many pleasant areas surrounding it.

Some people live in the Huon Valley and commute to Hobart and Cygnet has been a centre for people wanting a creative, alternative, self sufficient community for several decades now.

Hobart has, for its size, a very active visual arts community. The job grapevine is also very active here so becoming involved and making personal contacts is very beneficial - even if initiallly it is on a voluntary, non commercial basis.

• 1 month later...
Hi all

Do you think I'm mad?

Hi Tayto, just wanted to know how things are and if you've decided to go to Tassie. (BTW, I'm a long time reader of PIO, and have taken interest in your story, as I know how starting over is :no:

Archived