Set up costs

woody465

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are hopefully moving to Sydney in October this year (our 457 visa application was lodged last week), I am just trying to pull together the list of 'set up' costs we will have when we first arrive so we can anticipate how much money to transfer. We are going to book short term accomodation for 3 weeks before we arrive so I am not including that in my set up and we will not be purchasing a car initally

So far I have:

Rental Bond

1 month rent upfront

Food ( Month before any pay)

Public Transport

Utility set up (unsure how this works but I have seen other people mention it)

Mobile phones

Is there anything fundamental that I am missing? I wasn't sure if there was anything else connected to renting or if you need to pay more than a month upfront?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

Unless you've timed for furniture to arrive by the time you get a longer term rental, you may need to buy some to keep you going, plus things like bedding, towels, crockery and kitchenware. Most likely you'll also need a fridge as most rentals don't have one included, and maybe a washing machine.

I'm keeping a list on my home PC of stuff we'll need to buy! Includes sofa, bed (which will eventually be the spare), big old fridge freezer, crockery set - mostly priced, as I've seen some things I like online!

I'm actually quite looking forward to it, not bothering taking any of our worn out stuff and I'm gonna love replacing it all with shiny newness! Been looking at stuff on K Mart and Ikea websites, and got my peepers on a side by side fridge freezer on The Good Guys site. Exciting!

Don't forget you can get second hand stuff via gumtree or even in The Shed forum here if pushed - we might have to get a washer that way!

Yes,whilst waiting for your stuff to arrive you will need a lot of everyday things to tide you by.Simple things like a bowel to wash your dishes in,cutlery,kettle,beds ,or sofa beds,fridge,washing machine,pegs,mops,brushes,quilts,pillows etc,etc,the list goes on and on.Sorry,the point i'm trying to make is Rentals here are completely Spartan in the extreme usually(not even a toilet roll hanging when you move in)Fortunately you can pick up these things for little if you look around,and rent more expensive items if you need to.Dont worry,you'll get by to start with,we all did.The survival instinct kicks in.Best Luck.:yes:

We rented furniture etc until our stuff arrived. You can rent everything from a sofa to a teaspoon - they do house packs or you can just rent what you need.

Also the supermarket shops to start with are more expensive because you have nothing at all so need all cleaning stuff, herbs,spices sauces and other store cupboard stuff all at once. It is surprising when you add it all up!!

Archived