Sydney drinks?

Guest jb3151

Hey All,

Same boat for us, me and Hubby James arrived in Jan.

Would be great to get together with some fellow POMS. The Rocks is perfect for us, keep us posted on the date.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stevehalloz
You must arrived about the same time as me - 3 November, 1978 - in WA and about a month later in Sydney.

I went in the Lord Nelson when I was intending to go to the last night out at ?Reeds? something like that. To be honest I went into the Nelson for a bit of Dutch Courage although I only wanted a schooner's worth not a pint!

Are you in Leichhardt? What's that pub about half way down Norton St? Royal Oak? I liked going in there when I lived in Lilyfield.

Pretend you are a Spurs fan and come to the Triple Ace pub - corner of Elizabeth/Campbell Sts - Wigan is the next game tomorrow from about 1030 KO midnight.

Pretend I'm a Spurs fan? Not going to happen, although I far prefer Spurs to Arsenal, but I've been a Swindon Town fan for 48 years and that's never going to change. My second club is my home town team Hartlepool United so I obviously go for the glamour teams.

The pub in Leichhardt (where I do live now) is the Royal and I've started to go there when it's too far to the Nelson. I'm watching the Rugby World Cup games at the Royal but I'll probably go to the Nelson (for the pints) for the pointy end of the tournament, in my England shirt of course.

And I got here October 1979.

Cheers,

Steve

Pretend I'm a Spurs fan? Not going to happen, although I far prefer Spurs to Arsenal, but I've been a Swindon Town fan for 48 years and that's never going to change. My second club is my home town team Hartlepool United so I obviously go for the glamour teams.

The pub in Leichhardt (where I do live now) is the Royal and I've started to go there when it's too far to the Nelson. I'm watching the Rugby World Cup games at the Royal but I'll probably go to the Nelson (for the pints) for the pointy end of the tournament, in my England shirt of course.

And I got here October 1979.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I lived in Norton St, Lilyfield for four months with my friends Peter & Julie whilst I was waiting to move back into my flat in Surry Hills. I hardly knew the Inner West before that but afterwards, walking everywhere, I got to know so much from Balmain to Annandale to Petersham to 5 Dock to Drummoyne.

The Royal became one of my favourite pubs and I used to love going in for a couple of schooners of Heineken. The staff are friendly - being greeted by a friendly face makes all the difference - 'Rosie' - she's still there I think as my friend Peter went in there recently and she asked after me. I bought her 'Cider With Rosie' by Laurie Lee for her birthday. Another young guy behind the bar, bit 'punk' looking, I asked him what music he was playing? 'Joshua Radin' - 'Simple Times' so I bought it. I went in a few months after I left and he drew me a Heineken without asking.

Didn't Don Rogers play for Swindon or is he a character on 'Crossroads?' or maybe both? That's the only Swindon player I can name, unless Ted McDougall played for them too? Swindon beat someone big too - was it Arsenal? I know I could 'Google' all this but sometimes it's more fun just to drag up my memories. 'Saints' are my local side and I spent far more time at The Dell than WHL.

October, 1979, I was living at the Royal Private Hotel in Neutral Bay with my brothers who arrived here in May & September of that year. So perhaps we ran into you if you were around The Rocks, Sydney Cove Tavern, The Jungle Bar?

Come down to The Triple Aces on Sunday night for Spurs V Arsenal - going to be a big night!

Dave

ps Hartlepool Utd? I always admired people who went for their local clubs, sometimes even a non-league one. Know a guy who follows Blackfield & Langley in the ?Wessex? League, goes to all their games.

Guest stevehalloz
Thanks Steve. I lived in Norton St, Lilyfield for four months with my friends Peter & Julie whilst I was waiting to move back into my flat in Surry Hills. I hardly knew the Inner West before that but afterwards, walking everywhere, I got to know so much from Balmain to Annandale to Petersham to 5 Dock to Drummoyne.

The Royal became one of my favourite pubs and I used to love going in for a couple of schooners of Heineken. The staff are friendly - being greeted by a friendly face makes all the difference - 'Rosie' - she's still there I think as my friend Peter went in there recently and she asked after me. I bought her 'Cider With Rosie' by Laurie Lee for her birthday. Another young guy behind the bar, bit 'punk' looking, I asked him what music he was playing? 'Joshua Radin' - 'Simple Times' so I bought it. I went in a few months after I left and he drew me a Heineken without asking.

Didn't Don Rogers play for Swindon or is he a character on 'Crossroads?' or maybe both? That's the only Swindon player I can name, unless Ted McDougall played for them too? Swindon beat someone big too - was it Arsenal? I know I could 'Google' all this but sometimes it's more fun just to drag up my memories. 'Saints' are my local side and I spent far more time at The Dell than WHL.

October, 1979, I was living at the Royal Private Hotel in Neutral Bay with my brothers who arrived here in May & September of that year. So perhaps we ran into you if you were around The Rocks, Sydney Cove Tavern, The Jungle Bar?

Come down to The Triple Aces on Sunday night for Spurs V Arsenal - going to be a big night!

Dave

ps Hartlepool Utd? I always admired people who went for their local clubs, sometimes even a non-league one. Know a guy who follows Blackfield & Langley in the ?Wessex? League, goes to all their games.

Hi Mary Rose,

Actually Swindon and Hartlepool are both my local club - I moved from Hartlepool to Wantage (20 miles from Swindon) when I was 11.

And yes, Don Rogers scored twice when Swindon beat Arsenal 3-1 after extra time (Roger Smart got the other) in the League Cup Final on 15th March 1969. We also beat Coventry and Burnley from Div I and Brian Clough's Derby County who were top of Div II on our way to Wembley. I was of course at all those games.

We also beat Arsenal 4-3 in the League Cup in 1980 but I missed the game, having just arrived in Oz the year before.

Guest stevehalloz
Hi Mary Rose,

Actually Swindon and Hartlepool are both my local club - I moved from Hartlepool to Wantage (20 miles from Swindon) when I was 11.

And yes, Don Rogers scored twice when Swindon beat Arsenal 3-1 after extra time (Roger Smart got the other) in the League Cup Final on 15th March 1969. We also beat Coventry and Burnley from Div I and Brian Clough's Derby County who were top of Div II on our way to Wembley. I was of course at all those games.

We also beat Arsenal 4-3 in the League Cup in 1980 but I missed the game, having just arrived in Oz the year before.

Oops, sorry, I mean hello Dave.

I'm afraid 1am is way past my bedtime unless England or Swindon are playing, but thanks for the invitation.

Oops, sorry, I mean hello Dave.

I'm afraid 1am is way past my bedtime unless England or Swindon are playing, but thanks for the invitation.

It should be long past my own bedtime although as I'm bludging at the moment it's no problem. Many of the guys will be going on to work afterwards or after a couple of hours sleep. It's gets harder as the clocks change and we go to ten, then eleven hours ahead. There are times when I don't want to go, would be so much easier to record it and get up without knowing the score but it's such a good feeling when all the others greet me. Most of them live much further away than me. Come down for a Saturday game when you don't have to work.

PS Don Rogers was a character on Xroads! and I see 'your' Don played over 400 games for you.

Guest wesleynicks

Wow this posting is getting some hits! Lol!

My partner and I are both aged 26 and moved to Sydney 2 weeks ago!! We too really really our friends and family!!! We are keen to meet people to help us settle in because it's just so hard not having friends around to chat and drink with etc!

Anyway, count us in! We live in the CBD so centre sounds good but were easy!

Wes and Suzie

Guest smc3004

Hi. Just checking if anyone planning on meeting up? Been here a month now - would love to meet up with other brave people!

Guest Lizzie1986

Hey guys :)

Ben and I will be at the opera bar this Saturday at 8pm, hope to see you all there. If any one needs to get in touch then just drop me a txt on 0405539825. Can't wait :)

Guest guest59412

We'll be there.

See you Sat.

There's far too much beating around the bush with all of this and I'm just glad that the bull has been taken by the horns and a decision has been made.

Nice 1

Guest guest59412

Not too sure, It possibly could be but we could always move elsewhere if needs be.

Liz has had some replies via text, at the moment I think there's two couples. We could always meet else where.

Ireland vs Wales is on at 18.00

England vs France is on at 20.30

Not too sure which game Niall is interested in.

Niall's irish so will certainly want to watch the irish game. I guess it's more out of interest then a need to watch the England game for him! Don't re-arrange location based on that though! We'll come for a drink and if he wants to watch it we can head and watch the 2nd half!

We're keen! I'll text Liz now so she's got my number.

Guest gazandruth

Hey everyone me and my boyfriend are interested in meeting up this sat we are living in manly what's the plan ? Opera bar 8pm?!;) x

Ruth and gaz x

Guest Crimson

Opera bar at 8pm on sat is the plan then guys.

I think there's 4 couples up until now.

Is the Opera bar good for everyone else?

Cheers

Guest Crimson
Hey guys :)

Ben and I will be at the opera bar this Saturday at 8pm, hope to see you all there. If any one needs to get in touch then just drop me a txt on 0405539825. Can't wait :)

Check it out!

Archived