Would I be eligible?

Guest Gazbjorck

Guest Gazbjorck

Hi folks, I am just looking for some advice really. I have just finished a 4 year uni course where I gained a BA hons in psychology. I have work experience working with people with special needs but would like to come to Oz to work as a psychology assistant and maybe continue my studies to gain my PhD and continue my career as a psychologist. I have relatives in Perth and have sat a mock visa questionnaire to find out if we had enough points to come over, the we being my wife and daughter. Apparently I have enough points, my question for now is, how accurate are these questionnaires? It was from the migration expert website if that makes a difference. I have always wanted to move to Oz as there is no prospects for my daughter here. I would also be grateful for advice on where to look for employers, if any, who may sponser.

I apologise if I sound as if Im rambling, my head if full of web pages and information overload lol. And then I found this site that may be able to steer me in the right direction instead of me going around in circles :)

Thank you in advance for any advice at all. As you may already have worked out, I am just starting on this journey that hopefully will end up with me in Oz

Gary

As a rule of thumb, yes the questionnaires thend to be reasonable. However, what I would recommend is that you go to www.immi.gov.au and read up on the visas, how they work, what the requirements are. If you have further questions about how they work, then come back here and ask them.

I will point out though, that you've managed to get very well qualified in the UK. Your daughter similarly has as good prospects of education and qualifications in the UK as in Australia. Nobody knows what the job market will be doing by the time she grows up. You should be coming to Australia because YOU want to, and it suits what YOU want out of life, not based on theoretical possibilities of what your daughter might want to do in the future and guesswork as to what the job market in that area will be doing by the time she's eventually qualified.

Guest Gazbjorck

Thanks RockDr, I will check out the site and no doubt be back to ask more questions. However, can I just point out that our motivation for coming to Oz is based on what would be the best for our family, daughter included. Not ONLY for her benefit but for our benefit as a FAMILY. I have looked into different aspects of coming over and weighed up the pros and cons and a move DOES suit us all! I agree that the education system here is very good, on a whole, but I believe at this point in time we would all benefit from coming to Australia.

Great. :biggrin: Sounds like you've thought it through much more than some of the posters we get on here... It always amuses me when highly skilled British professionals quote better opportunities for their kids as their major reason for moving.

All the best with the visa.

Those immigration questionnaires never seem to give the whole story and they can be misleading. For example, if you're a new graduate, a mandatory requirement is that you have post graduation work experience in at least 12 out of the previous 24 months. You must also be able to obtain a positive skills assessment from The Australian Psychological Society before you can apply for a visa so you should check to see if you meet their requirements - I believe they require you to have completed 6 years of study.http://www.psychology.org.au/membership/qualifications/

If you need further studies in order to meet the skills assessment requirement, you would probably be able to come to Australia on a Student visa but it will be more expensive to pay international fees in Australia rather than home fees in the UK.

You would need to be registered with AHPRA to practice psychology http://www.psychologyboard.gov.au/. In the first instance you would get only provisional registration and would need to have a 2 year internship. Getting a job which will give you that, however is a whole other problem. As Petals has said - unless you have a PhD or a Masters at the very least, you will be struggling to get employment as a psych these days (I am surprised that Aus still has psychs on its list of skills in demand, there are more psychs to the square inch than anywhere else in the world I reckon).

If you plan on doing your masters or PhD here it will be a very costly exercise and unless you are citizens it will be $10k pa plus up front

You dont need to be a member of the APS to practice although it does help if you are eligible. You can be an associate member with lower level qualifications

I dont know that Australia is going to be magically any better for any kids in the future - small pond, fewer opportunities really.

Archived