NZ young are leaving

Petals

Article on Newscom today quite sad for the NZ people.

ONE in four young Kiwis would rather live somewhere other than their home country, especially those from shaky Christchurch. A media poll found 24 per cent of New Zealanders under the age of 30 were either "considering" or "definitely" leaving to live overseas.

While the poll didn't say where they planned to set up base, recent figures show Australia is heavily favoured.

A net exodus of 3300 Kiwis came to Australia in May followed by 3100 in June - the heftiest departures across the ditch in 30 years.

Labour's economic development spokesman David Parker told Fairfax New Zealand the number of young people planning to leave was "shocking", and placed the blame squarely on the conservative National government.

"That's terrible and it's because the Kiwi dream is beyond their reach, partly because house prices are beyond their reach and

The trans-Tasman drift is one of the few pieces of bad news for the government, which has been polling with constant strength ahead of the country's November 26 general election.

Prior to winning the 2008 election, National leader John Key campaigned heavily on reducing the stream of young New Zealanders jumping the ditch, and narrowing the wage gap.

Mr Parker said the Government had clearly failed.

"The wage gap with Australia is growing rather than narrowing as the Government promised. The underlying problems in our economy are entrenched and they're not being fixed," he said.

The Government defended the results, saying living overseas was a rite of passage for many Kiwis, so it was natural some people would be thinking of heading offshore in the future."

Guest guest37336

ONE in four young Kiwis would rather live somewhere other than their home country, especially those from shaky Christchurch. A media poll found 24 per cent of New Zealanders under the age of 30 were either "considering" or "definitely" leaving to live overseas.

While the poll didn't say where they planned to set up base, recent figures show Australia is heavily favoured.

A net exodus of 3300 Kiwis came to Australia in May followed by 3100 in June - the heftiest departures across the ditch in 30 years.

Labour's economic development spokesman David Parker told Fairfax New Zealand the number of young people planning to leave was "shocking", and placed the blame squarely on the conservative National government.

"That's terrible and it's because the Kiwi dream is beyond their reach, partly because house prices are beyond their reach and

The trans-Tasman drift is one of the few pieces of bad news for the government, which has been polling with constant strength ahead of the country's November 26 general election.

Prior to winning the 2008 election, National leader John Key campaigned heavily on reducing the stream of young New Zealanders jumping the ditch, and narrowing the wage gap.

"The wage gap with Australia is growing rather than narrowing as the Government promised. The underlying problems in our economy are entrenched and they're not being fixed," he said.

The Government defended the results, saying living overseas was a rite of passage for many Kiwis, so it was natural some people would be thinking of heading offshore in the future."

Never been to NZ Petals, would love to, but never quiet made it, but the highlighted part is what interests me.

During my travels I have come across many Kiwis who think along these same lines. It does to some extent seem a rite of passage for many of the younger generation.

The Kiwis I have met have always been a friendly bunch (even at the rugby,:no:) and they view the world as somewhere to explore and admire.

I would imagine/hope that the escalation in these youngsters going over seas will soon enough be stemmed when the economic crisis is over, and maybe this economic crisis does play a significant part in the numbers as of late.

But NZ like any country needs its born and bred people to carry on tradition, culture and ultimately these young people will form a country that is one to be proud of for all.

No idea if I have answered your question Petals, but I 'think' this could be a sign of the times, and hopefully when the economic crisis is over many of the younger generation will still travel, but also return to NZ to carry the torch forward.

Cheers Tony.

I was in NZ, but moved to Melbourne a week ago with two close friends.

The amount of people here that are from Auckland/NZ is crazy.

We have found the cost of living similar to NZ, but wages here are much, much better.

(as well as super etc)

Easy decision.

The New Zealand government should look into that. If the New Zealanders gets good jobs in their country then why they move yo Australia. So the government should not give youngsters a reason to move.

Unfortunately the government is not really in the business of providing well paid jobs for everyone. It's been demonstrated in a few countries this is a sure fire way to go broke.

I'm sure John Keys and the rest of the government in NZ would love their young to stay and work there.

As he says though, kiwis are very aware that they can move around and find better options sometimes. Especially in Oz and it's fairly easy to move back and forth so why not?

Doesn't mean it's forever and a lot of them will return when they get older.

A shame. But saying that pretty much every Kiwi I've ever met overseas has always said they want to end up back in New Zealand. They want to travel, live overseas for a while, be it a year or 10 but they want to go home once done.

The poll was worded such that any young kiwi thinking about going to live abroad for a year or two, would answer yes. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the number of people thinking about migrating permanently to another country. Personally I'm surprised the numbers weren't higher.

Ever since we came to Oz in the 1970s and for many years prior Kiwis have been coming here because there is more work and more chance to get on in life. So nothing new there. New Zealand is gorgeous but has a low population and not so many opportunities. I always liken it to Tassie.

• 2 weeks later...

We lived in Bucklands Beach Auckland from 1972 till 1986,when i was made redundant and came to Queensland.I have 2 sons and one daughter still liveing there,and one daughter here,she had the misfortune of marrying a obnoxious Aussie she met in NZ. But i would have to say,we had a much much more satisfying,peacefull, life in NZ than here in Queensland,Life is easier,not half as many restrictions,People have manners and are polite,things not heard of in australia,everyone is out to rip you off.If you have a good well paid job,NZ is the place.As a matter of FACT.Australia is faceing the big EXODUS,new arrival from 2009.48% of Kiwi's and 45 % of poms returned home.The caption read Australia no longer the LUCKY country.I have always thought the Lucky Country related to Thugs,Rip OFF artists and criminals in general.they don't seem to dish out much punishment.

Interesting guess we can read different nos from different people. Saw one of my Kiwi friends last week and they live on the GoldCoast and she was telling me her Grandaughter is the only one in the netball team she plays for who is not Maori. Also one of the primary schools nearby has more Moaris than any other people.

I lived there for eight years and even though we visit my oh brother and I have a lot of friends there could not live in NZ again. Also could not live in Queensland lol.

Guest Hatton

A lot are saying they find NZ boring to be honest and want to sample some life in their younger lives, you cannot blame them to be honest as you are only young once.

Loads of NZ folk travel around Cornwall in the summer months.

Guest Darla R

We moved down to the Gold Coast a few months ago. I'm Irish but lived in New Zealand for a while before coming over here. There are so many Kiwis down this part of Queensland. I've met some who've been here so long they've lost their accents, none of them have any desire to go back. They're well set up here and look at me like I'm mad if I ask if they want to go home one day.

Maybe the newer arrivals are finding it hard though, perhaps the more unskilled are finding it hard to find work. The lower paid tend to gravitate towards areas that aren't so desirable and that's where most of the trouble is. Second generation kiwis here are leaving school with no qualifications and no jobs = life of crime and increase in crime rate because they can't claim dole. It's hard to get on if you don't have a trade or tertiary education behind you

It's a great place to be if you're earning good money and living in a nice area. But then that's the same all over the world isn't it.

• 10 months later...

Think a lot of young people today want something else, they see Europe and Asia and the rest of the world and find NZ a bit boring and to be honest a bit like living in the past to be honest, I have not met many new zealanders but the Aussies I have met cannot believe how exiting and vibrant the uk is so I guess it is the same for new zealanders.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

This doesn't surprise me, i don't fancy New Zealand either, it reminds me too much of the Uk.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
how many young English would leave england given half a chance? 4 in 4 lol

I think it it would be more than that, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We went on holiday to NZ to see friends from England there and loved it. However, we were shocked to see how low wages are compared to house prices so it is no wonder that many Kiwis have to emigrate to find decent work

A lot of my work mates have joined the NZ service and i saw the wages they were offering, it was about £13k starting pay, going up to about £20k and the cost of living appeared to be no different than the UK.

Young people have been leaving NZ for a long long time, We went to live there after Africa and we left, I left with three friends and went to Sydney, my parents went to Perth. So many many NZ people I have known moved to Aus.

Do not know what the answer is as NZ is a lovely place just bit lacking in the money department and the cost of living is not cheap.