Help me plan my Dad's first trip to Oz!

Guest Angelica

Guest Angelica

My lovely Dad (70) is flying over in September to visit us for 3 weeks.

Its his 1st time to Oz and I want him to love it as much as we do. He has always wanted to visit as he loves the sea and the heat, but has never gotten the chance. He is fit & well and able to get around just fine, so walking around all day isn;t too much of a problem.

So at the moment, as we are living on the central coast, this is my plan of action....

Central Coast

Terrigal & Avoca Beach for those relaxing days, they are 5 minutes away.

Around Sydney

Opera House

Harbour Bridge

Sydney Tower

Manly & Oceanworld

Sydney Aquarium

Darling Harbour

Chinatown

Botanical Gardens

Bondi to bronte coastal walk

Blue Mountains

Queensland

This is the bit I am stuck on, I REALLY want to take my dad up to the Whitsunday's so he can go out on a boat and do some snorkelling, see the beautiful beaches, but am sure of the best way to get there (fly?) and also how much time to allocate, a long weekend, is that enough? Can anyone give me some advice on where to stay, I went about a hundred years ago, well 14 to be exact but can't remember much (I was a backpacker! :goofy:)

ETA - just found this site - which answers most of my questions.

http://www.tourismwhitsundays.com.au/visitor-information/faqs/

So I know it sounds like alot to pack in, in 3 weeks, but have I missed any of the really good stuff out, the thing is if he loves enough he might join us out here and that would be AMAZING!!

Thanks for your help in advance.

:hug:

Guest Home Loan Experts

Ku-Ring Gai Chase National Park is always a favourite for me when friends come from overseas. The view from West Head Lookout (at the end of West Head Road) is absolutely amazing and is easily accessable without any bushwalking. If you are so inclined then grab some fishing gear and head down to Flint & Steel Beach however this is a bit of a tricky walk and will take 20 to 40 minutes or so to get from the car to the beach.

Whitsundays is fantastic. I've always flown into Hamilton Island, which is expensive but a great way to get right into it. You would then need to go on a boat tour to see the amazing reefs and beaches. Going on the mainland is cheaper for accommodation however I don't know where you fly into. Tin Can bay is getting popular and Airlie Beach is too.

For the Whitsundays, you can fly into Proserpine pretty cheaply and then get a bus or other transfer to Airlie Beach. There is a huge amount of accommodation there and it does vary in standard. Some parts of the town are more backpacker orientated than others but I've been twice now (neither time as a backpacker) and loved it. From there you have a great base for boat trips etc and they pick up and drop you off at your accommodation.

In terms of boat trips, I can highly recommend the Ragamuffin. A great day out!

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

Not sure if you're after more on Sydney but...

Chinatown - I recommend Marigold restaurant for Yum Cha.

Harbour Bridge - I took my Mum up the Pylon Lookout, a great alternative to climbing the bridge + good views of the harbour.

Blue Mountains - Zig Zag railway - we went recently and whilst we were there I thought how much my Dad would love it when he next comes.

Have a great time!

Guest Angelica

Yipeeeeee - thank you all so much, this has given me loads to go on.

It really means so much to me that we make the most of his time whilst he is here and that he has the time of his life, so real life recommendatiosn are invaluable.

Thank you !

Anymore...............................

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite as far north as Whitsundays, but what about Hervey Bay and then going whale watching from there? It only needs a few days I'd say.

We went with these http://www.bluedolphintours.com.au/

We also stayed at a place called quarterdecks http://www.quarterdecksretreat.com.au/ I managed to find a really good deal when I booked, but I don't know how now.

Port Douglas is nice for a break too, and we went out on the Reef from there. Can't remember the company now though sorry.

Archived