Outward bound ...

BearRules

Thanks for the good wishes! Our outward flight was delayed approx 1 hour, so we took off around 10:15pm. We flew premium economy with BA. Previous experience with BA meant I have previously said I'd rather chew my own arm off than fly with them again, but in the end they were offering 2 x 23kg bags per person and a lot of other carriers were only offering one bag for free (I'm easily bought).

BA premium economy isnt quite up to the standard of Virgin, but the food couldn't be faulted. Slept a lot of the way into Singapore where we had a 2 hour wait before reboarding for the flight to Sydney. Had a very nice surprise when we presented our boarding cards and they crossed out our seat numbers and wrote in some new ones ... upgrade to Business class! Ok, so now BA are my best friends ... hehe

Had a very comfortable flight into Sydney, being able to lie flat really helps for a nap! The flight arrived in Sydney just after 5:00am, and we were fairly whisked through customs, I expected lots of long winding queues with customs officers and sniffer dogs trawling through everything (big fans of Nothing To Declare), but it was very simple and straightforward. Outside the airport there were plentiful taxis and we were quickly off to our hotel, the Shangri-La.

We arrived at around 6:00am and were exhausted despite all the sleep we got on the plane. Of course, being so early, the room wasn't ready. So we camped out in the lobby and watched as the hotel started to wake up and lots of well dressed busniness people were wandering past us as we sat looking fairly be-draggled in our flight clothes. The bell-hop took pity on us, brought us a newspaper and was constantly checking for our room. A manageress also got on the case, and in under 2 hours we not only got our room, we even got an upgrade!

We are based on the 28th floor with a view over the harbour. The room is probably the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. The weather is attrocious, has hardly stopped raining since we arrived (I think we brought it with us, it was raining when we left the UK). Apparently its the wettest July on record for over 20 years!

We will be spending the weekend here, and then on Monday we are off to Hobart.

Colin.

Guest JamieandMel

Glad you got there ok,

so pleased for you guyts. It has finally stopped raining in the UK to it does look like it has followed you! only 11 weeks before we go. Can't wait.

Have fun

Hobart Ahoy!

We flew out of Sydney on Monday 25th July. The plane was a Quantas 737-800, the smallest I've ever flown on. It was very clean and comfortable, and the onboard entertainment worked a treat, though we just loaded up the sky map so we could track our progress to our new home. The flight time was approximately 1.5 hours.

As we got closer to Hobart and the plane dipped lower, we were able to see a lot of the Tasmanian landscape. In some ways it reminds me of flying over England, everywhere you look its all green. The main difference of course, is that over England, the greenery is all arranged like a large patchwork blanket, where all the farm fields are demarked by hedgerows. Over Tasmania, you can make out a few small patchworks of farms dotted around, but mostly its just a natural uninhabited wilderness. I think the biggest surprise for me, was how big the river Derwent is. It is simply huge!

We had a smooth landing at Hobart airport and thats where we got our first taste of life in Tassie. As soon as we descended the stairs from the plane, there was a short walk to the door of the airport terminal. Awaiting us at the door was a cute little dog who greeting us with no more than a disinterested sniff. The terminal building itself is just that, a small building. As soon as you walk in, you can see the exit immediately ahead. On the left is the smallest luggage carousel I've ever seen. Within 5 minutes luggage was appearing and the dog, having satisfied himself of the scent of the passengers, now jumped onto the carousel and started sniffing all the suitcases.

When we'd recovered our cases, we headed out through the far doors and into the Tasmanian evening. There was a mini-bus waiting, offering a journey to city hotels for $15.00 per person. We headed off to the right and approximately 100 yards away there is a taxi rank. The taxi fare into the centre of Hobart was $37.00 (plus tip), so whilst a lone traveller might save a few dollars on the mini-bus, I'd recommend a taxi for 3+ travellers. For those wanting to hire a car, all of the major providers seemed to be represented around the vicinity of the airport.

The drive into Hobart took no more than 30 minutes. We spent most of the journey in silent awe of the sheer natural beauty of the backdrop. It was also a time to reflect on where we were, and what we were doing. As much as you can plan for a new life in a strange new country, you can never prepare for how you will feel when you get there. It really is an overwhelming feeling, and you should expect to find yourself questioning whether you have done the right thing.

We arrived at the Hotel Collins, on Collins street in the centre of the Hobart CBD. Having just left the luxurious Shangri-La in Sydney, and feeling overwhelmed by the situation, our initial impression of the hotel was not great. If I'd had the chance at that moment to walk out and find somewhere else, I think I would have done so. But after being in the hotel for a few days, it has really become a home from home, and I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather have stayed. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a CBD location.

Our room is a 1 bedroom apartment on the 10th floor. We are on a corner, with one side having a beautiful view of Mount Wellington, and the other side having a view of the harbour. There is a free broadband connection in the room, and we have a small kitchen featuring hotplates, kettle, toaster, microwave and fridge-freezer. The hotel is right near all the city centre shops, and a short walk to the water-front.

Our first full day in Hobart was Tuesday, and we went meandering around town looking at the shops. We discovered Banjos bakery, which has instantly become our preferred place to go for breakfast, and sometimes for lunch too. I highly recommend the sausage rolls! On Wednesday we walked down to the water-front and around the Salamanca market area (the market itself opens on Saturday, something we are looking forward to doing tomorrow). We took a $15 per person (return) ferry ride to MONA, the Museum of Old and New Art. The museum itself is free entry, and its well worth a visit. The ferry took around 30 minutes and was a great chance to relax and enjoy the views.

One of the annoying things we've experienced was trying to get our iPhones connected up. After a bit of research, the general opinion seems to be that in Tasmania, Telstra is the only way to go. We had Orange in the UK, and it was generally a rubbish connection, often only getting 1 bar in the house. So determined to get the best option, I picked up a couple of $2 pre-paid sims for Telstra. After spending a stupid amount of time going through the setup, I got to the stage where the phones were on the Telstra network, albeit with no credits. To buy credits, you can setup an online account ... or rather I should say ... you can't. I tried to, and was told there were problems, and please try again 24 hours later. Hmm ... so 24 hours later I tried again, and guess what ... problems, please try in 24 hours. At this point I decided if the company doesn't want my money, I'm not going to kill myself trying to give it to them. I went out and bought a couple of Virgin $2 pre-paid sims. Within 10 minutes both phones were up and running with 5 bars. I did have to reset the phones before they would allow data to be downloaded.

Yesterday we decided its time we started getting organised. We went out and put down a deposit on a car. We aren't going to pick it up until we have found a rental, since I think it will make life a lot easier getting insurance if we have an address! We went to look at our first prospective rental on the North side of town. It was ... how one say it tactfully ... goddamn awful? We are now going to be looking for a rental full-on until we find something suitable.

Looking back, its hard to think we've only been in Oz for a week, and only in Hobart for just over 3 days. We are finding our way around easily, everyone we meet is really friendly and very interested in our relocation. We still get a lot of "wow" moments when walking along and suddenly seeing the mountain peeping out between buildings, Hobart really is a beautiful place. We are already starting to feel like this is home, and as soon as we find a rental and pick up the car, I think it will just feel like business as usual. We haven't even scratched the surface of what there is to explore here, but then we have a lifetime so I'm sure we will get round to everything eventually.

Colin

Hobart Ahoy!

I think the biggest surprise for me, was how big the river Derwent is. It is simply huge!.....

We had a smooth landing at Hobart airport and thats where we got our first taste of life in Tassie. As soon as we descended the stairs from the plane, there was a short walk to the door of the airport terminal. Awaiting us at the door was a cute little dog who greeting us with no more than a disinterested sniff...............

The drive into Hobart took no more than 30 minutes. We spent most of the journey in silent awe of the sheer natural beauty of the backdrop................

We went to look at our first prospective rental on the North side of town. It was ... how one say it tactfully ... goddamn awful?...............

Colin

Great post, Colin - very interesting to read. Sorry we couldn't continue the beautiful weather of early in the week but I believe this rain will mostly clear by this afternoon.

Re the size of the Derwent: yes, we call it "the river" but it is actually a harbour at Hobart, several miles across.

The sniffer dogs at the airport are not drug detectors, as many passengers think, but are Quarantine Service dogs looking for fruit, vegetables or other plant material which may bring in horticultural diseases or pests. That is because Tassie is free of many of these diseases/pests which occur on the Mainland and they are trying to keep it that way.

I don't know what sort of budget you have for a rental and the rental market is fairly tight here but you probably have a better chance of finding nicer rentals on the southern side of the city or some areas of the eastern shore - Howrah etc.

Yes, the sheer natural beauty of the backdrop creeps into your soul. Hope you have a great life here. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. I live in Hobart and have done for all but 16 of the last 58 years.

Vivien

Really good post Bear Rules. Looking forward to doing the same hopefully soon.

It sounds like that's the first time you've seen Tassie? If so then well done! I remember our drive from the airport to Hobart (in that mini bus) and by the end of that drive we had both decided that we wanted to live there.

Fantastic to hear your story, it makes exciting reading. Keep posting! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

We've been in Tassie just over two weeks now. The first week the weather was lovely, cold but clear blue skies. We've had quite a few consecutive dull wet days this week, but today is back to blue skies again!

Its been an intense period, dominated by the search for a home. We highlighted all the places that looked likely candidates from realestate.com.au and spent a day driving around them all. Its a great way to narrow down the list, the pictures never really do justice. Once we had a shortlist, we contacted the agents. In general, phoning the agent in the morning got us a viewing the same day. 10 days after arriving we signed a lease!

We've chosen to live North of Hobart in Rosetta. Its 2 minutes drive into Glenorchy. We chose the North side because Sam has a job at the Calvary hospital in Lenah Valley. Our road is very quiet, with a lovely big tree-topped hill directly opposite the front. The house is a brand new 3 bed with double garage (electric garage doors are so cool). We are paying $340 pw which I think is good value, based on other properties we've viewed.

Since signing the lease, we've spent a week shopping. First priority was a bed (it will be the guest bed once our shipping arrives). We went to FortyWinks in Hobart and bought a nice bed which was delivered next day. We've spent a lot of time and money in Harvey Normans, who seem to stock everything. Got most of our kitchen stuff from Your Habitat, and picked up a few things from Mitre 10 which is a B&Q/Homebase type of store. Bought a nice sofa from Harvey Normans in Cambridge (13km outside Hobart) and it was delivered next day along with a dining table and chairs.

Yesterday we got our landline connected by Telstra, and hope to have the internet connected early next week. We are now very settled into our new home!

With things at home now organised, yesterday we took time out and went to the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. After being in Oz for almost a month it was the first time we've seen any of its famous wildlife. Saw the Tassie Devils (very cute and scary), got to stroke a wombat and koala, and of course hand-fed the kangeroos. The park was very quiet and peaceful, hardly any visitors this time of year. The tour guide was very informative and I would definitely recommend joining a tour (free of charge) if you go.

I hope you continue to enjoy following our adventure, and I look forward to hearing all about yours!

Colin

Hiya BearRules

How nice to hear of your experiences! We too are newcomers to Tassie, but feel so feel we can really relate to you.

Think we might have a ride to the wildlife sanctuary you mentioned it sounds like the kids would love it.

We've settled at Kingston and love it! All our kids are settled at school, the eldest started driving today (on his 16th bithday) and we've both found jobs.

Things couldn't be better at the moment!

Chris x

Hi all, looks like being another nice and dry day in Hobart. To answer a few questions, firstly we didnt look East of the river for houses. We started at the Calvary hospital and then spiralled outwards to minimise work travel time.

I'm not sure if furniture is expensive compared to the UK, but it always seems expensive anyway doesnt it. As a few examples, we bought a Queen size bed for the guest room as a filler until our shipping arrives. It is very comfortable, we didnt just go for the cheapest, but rather the cheapest which suited our personal comfort needs. It cost $1400. Our sofa is a large leather corner sofa, great for 2 of us to sprawl out on. It was marked up at $2600 but we bought it for $2300. We didnt ask for a discount, it was offered freely. We bought a glass top round dining table with 4 chairs for $610 (was marked up at 700).

On a related note, shopping at Harvey Normans is an experience unlike anything I've seen in the UK. The shop has lots of sections, but they are all separate, so you cant say pickup a printer in the computer department and then go pay for it in the kitchen department. Also, the sales people must rely very heavily on commission. You will get asked if you need assistance a lot, and if one person asks and then you end up making a purchase via a different assistant, be prepared for the first to come swooping in at the cash desk and for the assistants to play out a silent mime along the lines of "I saw him first, this was my sale ...". My advice is even if you know what you want, grab an assistant anyway. They are very eager to help and often get you a discount at the till. Also, prices marked up as sale prices are not tied into the barcodes. So for example, a $50 item might be on sale for $30, but at the till it will still register at full price. Unless you point out the sale price, you might get over charged.

Guest siamsusie

You will find that the sections are actually franchised Bear Rules within Harvey Norman.

The franchise are just buying floor space under the HN name.

Yes the discounts are well worth having, I am certainly not shy is asking politely although my husband walks away

Thanks Susie, now it makes sense! Though I wish they could improve their receipts, it feels like you come out carrying a novel sometimes!

Hi to Chris and family, how long have you been in Tassie? We drove down to the Kingston area whilst house hunting, its very beautiful around there. How is travel time into Hobart in the mornings?

Continuing our adventure story, on Friday we drove out to Seven Mile Beach. Its around 30km from Hobart. Wow! Its just lovely there, so quiet and peaceful with the waves lapping on to the beach, and we couldnt believe the number and size of the shells along the waterline. We were there for about an hour and saw maybe 6 other people. Will definitely be going again!

Yesterday morning we hit Salamanca market. For me the best part is when after staring at stalls for an hour you glance up and get Mount Wellington as a backdrop. It reminds that you arent just in any old market, you are in Hobart!

After the market we walked along the sea in the harbour, before popping into town. Then we took our first drive out to Eastlands in Rosny Park. This was our first time shopping at Woolworths and we were very pleased to find both Sarsons vinegar and proper mint sauce! Its the little things that matter in life.

Today we are planning a trip to the Royal Bottanical Gardens. Hoping we get internet soon, typing these reports on an iPhone is just ...

Then we took our first drive out to Eastlands in Rosny Park. This was our first time shopping at Woolworths and we were very pleased to find both Sarsons vinegar and proper mint sauce! Its the little things that matter in life.

At the 2006 census 44% of all migrants in Tassie came from the UK - higher than any other state - and I suspect we do quite well for British food products as a result.

Another tip I've been given about Hardly Normal (sorry...Harvey Norman) is that if you are looking for appliances, research this site first:

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

If they are selling for a lower price, take in a printout and H.N. will match the price.

I haven't yet had the chance to test it, but worth keeping in mind.

Vivien

Hobart

Thanks for the tip about Seven Mile Beach, BearRules.

My niece is moving down here from Canberra and she loves beachcombing for shells here - one of the reasons she wants to move. We had a severe storm with huge swells in early July - I think the wave rider measured a record breaking 18 metre swell off the West Coast - and it's probably the reason Seven Mile is so good for shells at the moment.

Archived