General Accountant Skills Assessment ICAA

p12aks

Hi Everyone,

I submitted my skills assessment via ICAA mid June and it is still in progress. I have since heard that I also need to do a skilled employment assessment?! Can anyone tell me how true this is and if so what I need to do???

Here was me ready to submit my s175 application as soon as I received my skills assessment back!!

Someone help please, panic stations at the ready!

Many thanks.

Guest NatsB

We are in the same position, and i also noticed the new skilled employment assesment section with horror..... But if you read the websites carefully, they offer to assess your skilled employment and advise you if it is suitable (well, the CPA one anyway) - but this is not a requirement for the visa application.

On the visa application they simply ask for proof of employment in the form of a letter from your employer outlining your role and major responsibilities.

I may be wrong, but seems like we don't need the employment assessment... And it could always be done at a later date if they ask for it.

Please jump in and correct me if you know better!

Nats

Guest NatsB

Just to add - the skilled employment assessment seems to require exactly the same paperwork as the actual visa, so I suspect that it is for those people who are concerned that their employment might not be up to scratch and want the added security of knowing it has been approved before sinking their money into their visa application.

We are also waiting for our skills assessment back and with then be applying ASAP.

Nats

Guest LynseyB

I submitted my skills assessment to ICAA for Accountant General on 1st June. I received my positive assessment back on 14 June.

When I looked at the Visa requirements to claim points for overseas work experience it says that it should be at a skilled level which I took to mean from the skills assessment. I then emailed ICAA to ask when my skills assessment was assessed from and this is the reply I received:

"The assessment has been based on your membership to the ICA Scotland as it is a fully recognised accounting body and as such is recognised as meeting all of the requirements for migration purposes.

As this qualification alone meets these requirements the Bachelor degree subject content did not need to be assessed individually and has therefore been noted on the assessment results that you hold that degree.

The assessment carried out is only on the qualifications as a whole, not the work experience.

If you wish to claim additional points for skilled employment you can apply for a separate Skilled Employment Assessment (see link below for additional information and the application form). Please note that this is not compulsory.

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/How-to-Apply/Skilled-employment-assessment.aspx"

I am not proposing to claim points for the overseas work experience anymore as I have a feeling that as the ICAA have this assessment in place, DIAC will require this and that just employment references will not be adequate - just my opinion though and not based on any facts.

I was hoping for something along those lines as I have the 65 points without the 5 points for working 3 years in the field.

So am i right in thinking that I don't need the employment assessment?

Points achieved as follows:

IELTS: 20

Degree: 15

Total: 65 points??

Guest LynseyB

I am exactly the same as you.I don't want to have to go to the extra hassle expense if I don't have to. I posted another question on here asking if the number of points affects the priority of processing and I was told it doesn't until jul next year so I don't see the point of claiming extra points.someone correct me if I am wrong here though

Guest NatsB

When I looked at the Visa requirements to claim points for overseas work experience it says that it should be at a skilled level which I took to mean from the skills assessment.

Skilled level work is relevant work post qualification - work while studying or pre-qualifying does not count, I'm fairly sure this is the distinction they are making.

Am I reading it right that your concern is that your experience is being dated from your ICA membership date rather than your degree date?

Nats

Guest LynseyB

Yes that was what my worry was. If I can only count work experience from date I received my ICAS qualification then that is fine but I worked as an accountant doing the same tasks from finishing my degree until I qualified as with everyone else to get your accountant qualification you have to pass all exams as well as have three years work experience. This is obviously pre-qualification but you are doing the same tasks. Booklet 6 states working at a skilled level so I wasn't sure if that started post-degree when I was working as a trainee chartered accountant.

Guest NatsB

If you needed the points you could push for them to formally change your assessment- you are NOT required to hold professional membership to qualify for the skills assessment, so it's unfair to take that as your starting date for skilled employment. I would (and plan to) fill in the visa form taking your degree date as qualification date.

I wonder if we will have the same problem - degree was obtained in 2000 but only got round to doing ACCA in 2007. Like you we have 65 points without any work experience counted.

But we have fellow students who got in on skilled migration just with their degrees.

We have applied to CPA though, as they are more closely affiliated with ACCA. Maybe they will look at it differently.

I'm still waiting on my skills assessment from ICAA and am hoping to get through on my degree as I am only part qualified. Studied accounting and finance at university, hoping my modules covered 9 of the 12 they need!! Fingers crossed.........

Guest NatsB

My husbands best friend got in on a Bachelor of Accounting Science degree without a problem.

I think it's a poor showing by the assessing body if they don't look at the degree just because you have an acceptable post grad qualification too.

Imagine an engineer works for 10 years after getting his BSc, then decided to do a masters degree and they suddenly discount his 10 years because his masters degree meets the requirement and that now becomes his 'skilled work' start date. It's not fair.

Nats

Guest NatsB

As this qualification alone meets these requirements the Bachelor degree subject content did not need to be assessed individually and has therefore been noted on the assessment results that you hoany that degree

Do you have a paper copy of your assessment? What does it actually say about your degree?

Nats

Guest NatsB

This is what the CPA website says:

A suitable assessment will also contain details of the comparability of your degree qualifications for the purposes of awarding points for the skilled migration points test. Please note, determination of points under the skilled migration points test remains at the discretion of delegated officers of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

If your assessment says your degree is comparable, the surely you can use that as your start date? The actual visa requirement is o hold a degree equivalent to an Aussie bachelors.

Nats

Guest NatsB

And some more from CPA on the employment assessment - note the disclaimer in the last paragraph.

Points Test*

A suitable assessment will also contain details of the comparability of your degree qualifications for the purposes of awarding points for the skilled migration points test.

If you have applied for an assessment and also provided evidence of skilled employment for consideration, you will receive an assessment result advising whether you have suitable qualifications and an additional letter regarding your skilled employment claims.

The letter regarding your skilled employment will provide information about whether your employment claims equate or do not equate to work at the skilled level for your nominated occupation.

* Please note the advice given is the opinion of CPA Australia and does not guarantee the awarding of any points under the skilled migration points test. Determination of points under the skilled migration points test remains at the discretion of delegated officers of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Archived