457 visa conundrum

l55lee

Hi Folks

I’m in a bit of a conundrum. A distant relative of mine is the CTO of a large Australian employer whose head office is in Perth. During a visit back to the UK he offered me a job as an IT Project Manager. I did some research and suggested that he speaks with his HR people about sponsoring me with a 457 visa; my intention is to seek certification as an ICT Business Analyst 261111 (I’ve got 10 plus years’ experience in similar roles) and they’re both on the SOL and ENSOL. He came back to me yesterday with feedback from his HR Manager with the following response “Although there is no problem with my offering you a position, under federal law, in order to sponsor immigration, we have to prove that the position cannot be filled by an Australian resident. It would be a heck of a job to do that across all of Australia”.

They’ve been struggling to fill the post and have been using the services of a contractor whilst trying to recruit into it. The only interest that they’ve been able to muster is from the east coast but the potential candidates are seeking relocation which the employer is not offering. My relative has offered to keep the offer open 12 months to give the opportunity to get a visa. However, as I don’t have a degree I’m unable to get enough points for 175 visa, they work out as follows;

• Age 39 – 25 points

• Superior English – 20 points

• Eight years’ overseas experience – 15 points

My wife is a Graphic Designer 232411; her job can be found on the ENSOL but not on the SOL.

Any thoughts/advice on what I can do here please?

Thanks!!

Lee

Hi Janine

Thanks for your reply; I haven't yet procured the services of an immigration agent. I thought that I'd gauge the response of the experts on this forum first of all... :cool:

Thanks again

Lee

Hi Lee

457 isn't points tested. Check out the DIAC website for eligibility for all visas. Don't feel that you need an agent - the hardest part is finding an employer and you've already done that! Some good agents like the visabureau will give you a certain amount of free advice. We're going it alone.....

Good luck

Ann

Hi Ann

Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to ascertain what my options are if I can't follow the 457 route. If anyone has any thoughts on whether the 457 is an option that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Have they tried to nominate the position yet? Surely if they've been trying to recruit for that job for a while it would be eligible to be filled by a 457 person.

Myself and my boyfriend Andy are currently going through the 457 experience. The job I am going for hasn't been advertised by the employer except through recruitment companies. They seem to have no problem nominating positions and handing out tons of 457's. Andy has just had his medical and has had a verbal offer this week which we're pretty pleased with. Full relocation as well!

Have they tried to nominate the position yet? Surely if they've been trying to recruit for that job for a while it would be eligible to be filled by a 457 person.

Myself and my boyfriend Andy are currently going through the 457 experience. The job I am going for hasn't been advertised by the employer except through recruitment companies. They seem to have no problem nominating positions and handing out tons of 457's. Andy has just had his medical and has had a verbal offer this week which we're pretty pleased with. Full relocation as well!

I have to agree with you on this one, We are going through 457 and the employer hasnt advertised and as long as he has shown willing to employ apprentises to keep the work in oz its fine. This is why ibve suggested to speak to an agent for the question raised.

Hi Folks

I’m in a bit of a conundrum. A distant relative of mine is the CTO of a large Australian employer whose head office is in Perth. During a visit back to the UK he offered me a job as an IT Project Manager. I did some research and suggested that he speaks with his HR people about sponsoring me with a 457 visa; my intention is to seek certification as an ICT Business Analyst 261111 (I’ve got 10 plus years’ experience in similar roles) and they’re both on the SOL and ENSOL. He came back to me yesterday with feedback from his HR Manager with the following response “Although there is no problem with my offering you a position, under federal law, in order to sponsor immigration, we have to prove that the position cannot be filled by an Australian resident. It would be a heck of a job to do that across all of Australia”.

Their advice is completely incorrect as there is no requirement under the 457 program to show that the position cannot be filled by an Australian resident.

Archived