central coast!

judyq

Hi, anyone on the central coast? Are looking at Perth but really like new sounth wales and used to live in Sydney! However Property is way out of our league!

Would love to hear about the central coast, job opportunities and house prices? Thanks !

Guest mr magoo

Hi, we moved from Hertfordshire (UK) to Sydney last October, and its great but way over priced. Currently looking to buy a place up the central coast, most likely Woongarrah area.

You can pick up a nice 4 bed with double garage for $400.000 or a large 4/5 bed with a pool for between 5/6 hundred k.

We have have researched the area online and driven up and looked around a few times and it seems nice enough place, you defiantly get a lot more for you buck.

Another place wee looked at is the Ponds, which is a lot closer to Sydney put still good value, http://www.domain.com.au/Search/buy/State/NSW/Area/Hills/Region/Sydney-Region/Suburb/The-Ponds/?ssubs=1&searchterm=the+ponds

Guest gellata

Hi I live on the CC between Empire Bay and Bensville I highly recommend it and love the life the houses are relatively cheap compared to inner Sydney and it's absolutely beautiful.. If you need any info let me know as I'm happy to answer any queries ... Cheers Amanda

hi, thanks to you both, great link mr magoo, spent hours looking at property! Gellata we are really interested in the job situation, where is the biggest town or city in your area? I currently look after the kids but hope to return to nursing, any big ish hospitals around?

My other half currently works for the fire service but looking to do anything!

Any help greatly appreciated !

Guest gellata

I'm at the start if the CC so an hour and a half from Sydney by me there is Gosford, a real dump but the hospital is ok, Erina is also quite big and the half an hour away us Hornsby which is the last Sydney suburb which has a hospital not sure further up the coast but I think Tuggerah is quite big you find people live in the smaller suburbs close to these places which are alot bigger. We are in a high risk fire area, not that there are lots of fires but we are surrounded by national forest so maybe work for a fireman. I'm an office worker so I travel into Sydney CBD each day, Chatswood and St Leanords are closer to us for getting to work on the train, you get much more money working in Sydney although there are lots of small business eg building,plumbing, pest control etc in the area... Hope that helps

Hi, anyone on the central coast? Are looking at Perth but really like new sounth wales and used to live in Sydney! However Property is way out of our league!

Would love to hear about the central coast, job opportunities and house prices? Thanks !

Hi there ....

There are a few hospitals about here, as already mentioned one in Gosford and there is also one in Wyong, there is also a private hospital as well in Gosford and no doubt there are others... I would have a look at www.seek.com.au and search nursing jobs on the Central Coast to give you an idea as to what is about.... as regards places to live we live in Avoca and it is beautiful (I am a bit bias tho) but Terrigal, North Avoca are all just as lovely... great beaches and cafe society. PLease feel free to PM if you have any questions as I am always happy to help... BTW we have a Central Coast Expat Facebook page as well called exactly that Central Coast Expats if you do end up here on the coast but as far as great info PIO is the place to be...

All the best

Nikci

I'm at the start if the CC so an hour and a half from Sydney by me there is Gosford, a real dump but the hospital is ok, Erina is also quite big and the half an hour away us Hornsby which is the last Sydney suburb which has a hospital not sure further up the coast but I think Tuggerah is quite big you find people live in the smaller suburbs close to these places which are alot bigger. We are in a high risk fire area, not that there are lots of fires but we are surrounded by national forest so maybe work for a fireman. I'm an office worker so I travel into Sydney CBD each day, Chatswood and St Leanords are closer to us for getting to work on the train, you get much more money working in Sydney although there are lots of small business eg building,plumbing, pest control etc in the area... Hope that helps

Hi,

We are quite near to Tuggerah - which is a stones throw from Wyong.

The F3 - Newcastle - Perth freeway is easily accessed and it takes us - usually - about 50 minutes to get to the the Sydney end and then do battle with the crush into the city. Our kidz are in Seaforth and door to door - which is only about 100km can take 1.5hors plus depending on time of day.

Commuters here are usually moving from 5.30am onwards.

Housing is a lot cheaper than Sydney and now there is talk of a second Sydney airport West of Gosford - so eventually that wil bring jobs and a need for suppliers.

Not sure about the job locally - but I do know there are lots of unemployed.

The usuall crack is find good jobs in and around Sydney and be prepared to commute. Tradies - man with a Ute - are unable to deal with numbers under 400 and "cusomer care" consists of.. " and how are you today" ( no answer required coz they dont listen!)

We are looking at moving soon and have been checking new or near new build, so if anybody needs more info on the area and houses, feel free to PM.

If you have not yet visited Oz, there is lots of confusing and conflicting stuff on this and other forum, basically arrive open minded - once on the plane forget everything about how things are in the UK.. coz they WILL be different here. The aussies are in the main open and friendly, as in any country, town or city, there will be dross to put up with. And be warned "nieghbour activity" that would have you phoning your local council or police to intervene - is accepted here with the same attitude a mother has for her brat screaming and throwing tantrums in the shops - and gets a.. "well, it his birthday and the impromptu disco will close down at 3am!"

TV is basically rubbish and if you dont get Foxtel and UK TV.. get some valium.

Weekdays finds most people in bed early- Friday night ( in the hot months) is BBQ & booze time. And Friday and Saturday nights can be noisy....

Food and most other things are dearer here than the UK, petrol is now equal to around a £1 a litre and the aussies dont like it!

Hi, noticed your comment on tradies. I'm a carpenter moving out to the central coast in november. is there work on the central coast or would i have to commute.

"Tradies" - if you did'nt know - are self employed tradesmen - most are either 1 man 1 ute outfits, - others have sons , brothers or friends as "mates" or gofors - some of the "bigger" ones who have connections with builders or material suppliers - may employ more staff.

House builders sell house and land packages.. the work is all contracted out to the various trades and depends who is one their books at that time.

Basically its like any self employed person.. work is where you find it and build up contacts and advertising.

Word of mouth is a big thing - at least in this area.

From experience... the good ones are like rocking horse **** and many make those who get themselves filmed on UK TV as bandit builders and con merchants - must have been here giving lectures on how to do as little as possible and bodge the rest!

A couple of brits came over - take part time jobs to get the basics and worked to build up their own business.

So in short, setting up and getting work is like any other place.. it will depend on what you do.

These are my views.. others will have their own.

• 1 month later...
Guest skieatwork

Hi Nikci

Cant find your FB page - perhaps you could post a link?

Robert

Hi there ....

There are a few hospitals about here, as already mentioned one in Gosford and there is also one in Wyong, there is also a private hospital as well in Gosford and no doubt there are others... I would have a look at www.seek.com.au and search nursing jobs on the Central Coast to give you an idea as to what is about.... as regards places to live we live in Avoca and it is beautiful (I am a bit bias tho) but Terrigal, North Avoca are all just as lovely... great beaches and cafe society. PLease feel free to PM if you have any questions as I am always happy to help... BTW we have a Central Coast Expat Facebook page as well called exactly that Central Coast Expats if you do end up here on the coast but as far as great info PIO is the place to be...

All the best

Nikci

Guest skieatwork
If you go into Facebook and type 'central coast expats' in the search box, it should come up and there should be an option to 'ask to join'

I'll look out for the request

Grant

Nope "0 search results" :(

Archived