Renting - Making an attractive offer

EasyTyler

Hey all,

I've recently relocated from the UK into my girlfriends place in Melbourne. It's pretty small but took her ages to secure because of all the challenges of renting - it's certainly different from the UK where the application + acceptance process seems a lot easier.

We've been looking for a larger place and found one that my gf has fallen in love with. It's spacious and in a great location, but has a horrid bathtub that has cracks allover the floor and ideally needs replacing.

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on making an attractive application? The cover letter, application by me with no Aussie (or UK) rental history etc.

2) To "sweeten" the application ourselves we have decided to offer some money towards the replacement of the bath - we love the place as somewhere to live, but the bath is ultimately a bit of a showstopper. It's 500 bucks which ultimately pulled out of nowhere... doe you think this would get their attention?

TIA for your help!

~Tyler

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Tyler

Anything is worth trying and if you don't ask you will never know.

Add a covering letter explaining you have just arrived from the UK, if you have a bank account with a bit of money in do a copy of the bank statement, also if you have an Australian reference that will be good and if you have a job offer put in a copy of this.

Another thing is if you can afford it to pay say 3 months up front. See if your girlfriends landlord can provide you with a reference.

Good luck

Kate

Guest Wildred12

You must find it for yourself. Don't hesitate to ask since it is your right. I guess what you are offering is good. There's no other way you can make it but to start opening and sharing what's in your thoughts.

I got my 1st rental when i came over by offering to take it for a min of 3 yrs and asking if they objected to me replacing the old carpet with wood flooring at my cost.They jumped at it but i was happy as every rental viewing i went to was kaos with more than 20 families at once and all offering higher rentals.The way i saw it was that i realy liked the home and at the end of the day i had to live there so wanted it nicer as the carpet was old and i got the flooring cheap and fitted it myself.

If you go down this route, make sure that the fitting gets done through the landlord's agent and uses their recommended plumber. A few years down the road you don't want to be hit with a bill for repair of a rotten floor because the landlord is claiming that you didn't install the bath properly and it leaked.

I don't know how much worth a cover letter has; with my properties the agent deals with applications and passes them on to me and ultimately I choose the person I want. I don't get any more information than the basic who they are and the majority of the decision is based on past references. If you have a past rental history then get written references. My agent also recommends that we don't take anyone on for more than 6 month lease as it's actually hard to get someone slung out unless it's the end of lease - if you're after longer try telling them a year but say you're willing to have 6 months at a time. I like people who look like they're wanting to stay a long time (saves on advertising fees) but both parties need a trial period first.

Archived