Is a 16 yr old allowed to work full-time?

the_whites

My nephew is considering going to Australia with his father. He has just left school after completing his GCSE exams. Is he able to take up full time employment in Australia at 16? Or will he have to do a year at school? Not sure what the leaving age is in Australia.

Guest towfeeq
My nephew is considering going to Australia with his father. He has just left school after completing his GCSE exams. Is he able to take up full time employment in Australia at 16? Or will he have to do a year at school? Not sure what the leaving age is in Australia.

I guess no, but I'm not sure. And also I'm not getting the reason that why so early the need of full time work has got important for him?

I recommend that he should spend another two years in school.

He is not the most academic of kids but wants to get into an IT career. He spends all his time fixing computers etc so would want to look for a trainee role. Given the choice he probably would rather not work full time but the issue was more whether he would have to go to school if he went or if he could in fact work

He is not the most academic of kids but wants to get into an IT career. He spends all his time fixing computers etc so would want to look for a trainee role. Given the choice he probably would rather not work full time but the issue was more whether he would have to go to school if he went or if he could in fact work

In WA I believe you are allowed to leave school if you either have a full time job, apprenticeship or further education such as TAFE.

School leaving age depends on the state but I think the states are now pretty much all in line with 17. However you can leave earlier if you are working or studying at TAFE.

Unless dad has connections, the lad is going to be struggling to get a job where he has to compete with all the other nerds who have their year 12 certs. Year 12 is almost mandatory these days for even the most menial of tasks. He would probably be better aiming for TAFE to finish his education as he can do trade related courses.

In WA I believe you are allowed to leave school if you either have a full time job, apprenticeship or further education such as TAFE.

Yeah, here in WA you can leave at the end of year 10 if you have the above.

Archived