Visa Approved - to go or not to go that is the million dollar question!!

Guest aohall

Guest aohall

Just had our visa approved, now feel quite scared and not sure what to do. where do we start!!!!??????????:eek::confused:

Guest robnnic

:yellow_guy_smiling_ WOW congratulations!!!! Can't help on where to start...oh maybe opening the wine to celebrate!!

Guest aohall

well yes, so much to do. Having 2nd thoughs - after waiting for so long you would think we would be jumping around!!!!:embarrassed::eek::eek:

Guest aohall

We have been granted a visa to go to the state of victoria. So now is the time to find the best place to go - any ideas on the good areas for schools etc????? Anybody know of any good rental agents as well would be great!!!!!!:biggrin:

well yes, so much to do. Having 2nd thoughs - after waiting for so long you would think we would be jumping around!!!!:embarrassed::eek::eek:

Hi there

First of all congratulations on getting your visa - Just thought that I would let you know that we were ecstatic when we got granted our visa but a couple of days later we felt really deflated! From what I have read on here it's normal to feel like that. Give it a week or so and I'm sure all the excitement will come flooding back :biggrin:

We now can't wait to go!! :biggrin:

Good luck! Where are you heading and when?

I am not in the same boat but I imagine that when you applied you applied because of the dream of better life.

You gotta keep that dream to mind and endeavor to make it a reality if though if the amount to do and organize like schools for kids, jobs etc all seems like a mountain climb at the moment.

Keep your eyes on the prize as they say and get out there!

Guest aohall

Thanks guys - I am sure what you are saying is right - expecially as i put our two children to bed and wonder what they will do out there. I have now gone from :eek: to probably :unsure: but yes - spoke to estate agents and also sent the passports in for evidencing - so am feeling more positive today - sure there will be ups and downs - :wink:. Thanks again for your messages of support xx

Once you get your visa you may well feel deflated. If your looking for a better life in Aus,forget it. Australia just becomes another place to live. At the start it may be exciting,but once into living here, it is just the same as living anywhere. Life in the U.k believe me is great. What a country it is. You just don't realise how spoilt we were there. Europe down the road, heritage, greenery,seasons, football, everything thats good in life is on your doorstep. We just don't realise when in England. How many people go to the Lakes, How may visit Cornwall, How may visit London. Theres alot of people in Aus who slates the UK, but thats just to keep themselves convinced.Everything is in the U.k. Australia is nice but not in the same league as the best country in the world. Give it a go but I will never be convinced that Australia is better than the UK. Never.

Guest The Pom Queen

Congratulations on the visa.

It is normal to have doubts we all had them. Personally for me it was the best move we ever made.

3-congrats3.gif

Once you get your visa you may well feel deflated. If your looking for a better life in Aus,forget it. Australia just becomes another place to live. At the start it may be exciting,but once into living here, it is just the same as living anywhere. Life in the U.k believe me is great. What a country it is. You just don't realise how spoilt we were there. Europe down the road, heritage, greenery,seasons, football, everything thats good in life is on your doorstep. We just don't realise when in England. How many people go to the Lakes, How may visit Cornwall, How may visit London. Theres alot of people in Aus who slates the UK, but thats just to keep themselves convinced.Everything is in the U.k. Australia is nice but not in the same league as the best country in the world. Give it a go but I will never be convinced that Australia is better than the UK. Never.

I guess feeling deflated for a bit might be a good thing , at least you are being realistic. We got our visa grant very quickly and were swept along with a rush of excitement. While preparing to go in 2009 we watched the exchange rate go very wrong for us and felt rushed to get over as we were reading that house prices were about to take off again.

So when we got there i took a major nose dive, things went very bad for us for a while (rushed into buying the wrong house coupled with problems with the tenants in our house in England).

After spending a year and a half in constant turmoil trying to decide whether to return or not (and doing many pros and cons lists) we are now back in the UK. So after all this soul searching and stress i am still no nearer knowing where i want to be.

I think anyone heading over should go without being to influenced but what they hear , Australia seems to evoke some very strong emotions in people and all to often people are very strongly in love with it or equally strongly hate it. I think i have been to both ends of this spectrum in the last 2-3 years and am now coming to terms with the fact that i am pretty neutral.

There really are so many variables that for me there is no clear 'winner'. As long as people don't head off expecting a sunny utopia where there is no crime, jobs just fall in your lap and lifes just one long BBQ then perhaps they won't set themselves up for a fall.

That said we ended up in a beautiful rental ,had good jobs , made some fantastic friends and i'm a bit puzzled as to why we're back. I think we're all pretty priveledged to have the choice of living in two such fantastic countries or maybe having that choice is curse , i could be looking at a life of indecision and ping ponging.

Sorry to end on a negative note ,Australias great so's the UK ..........Nuff said.

Good luck to everyone heading off on what WILL be a great adventure whatever the outcome. Toad.:jimlad:

I guess Rio's post wouldn't have made you feel any better. Just to even things up don't think you can't have a better life. To us there is no comaprison and there just aren't the things we like to do now available in the UK.

The major one is the weather. Perth has a fantastic climate, probably the best in Aus. This means that we spend loads of time outdoors all year. We live very close to a fantastic beach the likes of which I have never seen in the UK. Bournmouth would probably be the closest, but still not as nice as here. The water is heaps warmer too.

The old furphy about "Europe down the road" sounds great but in reality how often can you afford to go? We lived in the UK a long time and when our holidays came around we used to head off to Portugal, Greece, Spain, France like most brits do for the sun. Here you can have that every weekend without getting on a plane and costing you a lot of money.

The lake district was never my cup of tea. Every time we went the weather was crap, the roads were busy, it cost a lot to stay anywhere and then cost a lot to stay occupied.

Same with London, worked down there in the early 80's for about a year and couldn't wait to get home at the weekends. All too busy, dirty, people rushing everywhere and only interested in making money and surviving. I stayed in Teddington too, one of the nicer places.

To me and the family Perth is a much better place to live. I can't speak for the rest of Aus as we've only lived here. I've visited most major cities and a lot of smaller towns. I could easily settle in Queensland or Sydney I think but Melbourne seemed a bit iffy on the weather front and looked a bit dirty to me. I couldn't have settled in Canberra as it's just too far away from a beach, is too cold in winter and looks like Milton Keynes.

Aus is so massive that it's hard to compare one place with another. It would be like the difference between living in London or the South of France for example. :cool:

Guest aohall

Sorry to hear that is how you feel. With everything you have listed on the history is what we will miss. But you could say we will be making a new history for our family - I have no doubts that we will miss the uk - but will give it a go - we can always come back !!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Guest aohall
I guess Rio's post wouldn't have made you feel any better. Just to even things up don't think you can't have a better life. To us there is no comaprison and there just aren't the things we like to do now available in the UK.

The major one is the weather. Perth has a fantastic climate, probably the best in Aus. This means that we spend loads of time outdoors all year. We live very close to a fantastic beach the likes of which I have never seen in the UK. Bournmouth would probably be the closest, but still not as nice as here. The water is heaps warmer too.

The old furphy about "Europe down the road" sounds great but in reality how often can you afford to go? We lived in the UK a long time and when our holidays came around we used to head off to Portugal, Greece, Spain, France like most brits do for the sun. Here you can have that every weekend without getting on a plane and costing you a lot of money.

The lake district was never my cup of tea. Every time we went the weather was crap, the roads were busy, it cost a lot to stay anywhere and then cost a lot to stay occupied.

Same with London, worked down there in the early 80's for about a year and couldn't wait to get home at the weekends. All too busy, dirty, people rushing everywhere and only interested in making money and surviving. I stayed in Teddington too, one of the nicer places.

To me and the family Perth is a much better place to live. I can't speak for the rest of Aus as we've only lived here. I've visited most major cities and a lot of smaller towns. I could easily settle in Queensland or Sydney I think but Melbourne seemed a bit iffy on the weather front and looked a bit dirty to me. I couldn't have settled in Canberra as it's just too far away from a beach, is too cold in winter and looks like Milton Keynes.

Aus is so massive that it's hard to compare one place with another. It would be like the difference between living in London or the South of France for example. :cool:

This is probable the sort of response I would put now!!!!!!!!!! We think so alike - we have been all round the world for our hols incl aus. Even with the children we have been to egypt and cyprus. This year as we knew we might be the last year or so here. We have booked a week at hoseasons in north devon - quote - can only cope with a week!!! The english family hols are just not our cup of tea - agree we like the sun and heat!!!!! We are also thinking of a weekend to show the kids london - but for the price of that you can fly two adults to Aus!!!!!!!! My husband just said - a place is what YOU make of it!!! So true - so lets see if we can make Aus our home!!!:yes:

Guest stuckinoz
Just had our visa approved, now feel quite scared and not sure what to do. where do we start!!!!??????????:eek::confused:

After being here for 4 years now, I would not come if I had the chance again. It is not ''a dream'' more like a nightmare. Good luck in whatever you decide to do..

Guest aohall

thank you all for your thoughts - we are now planning to put our house on the market in sept and will see if we can pack up everything by may next year - if we can then Aus here come - if not we will go to Aus to get the visa started and have a holiday doing a recky!!!!!!

:biggrin::yes::clown-biggrin:

Archived