Hi Folks

I've been offered a Child Protection job with DHS in Melbourne and am due over in October of this year, I have a Bsc Hons in Social Work, 4 years unqualified experience and 2 years PQ in CP.

I'm really looking forward to the whole experience and am keen to hear what other people's experiences have been.

I'd like to get a balanced and realistic view so would appreciate hearing the positives and negatives.

Thanks

Drew

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Drew

Welcome to PIO and congratulations on the job, how wonderful to have something already lined up.

Are you getting excited or a little bit nervous?

Kate

We are short of Child Protection workers, and it is hard hard work, but I hope you enjoy the experience. Some ex pat Brits who were doing CP in Gippsland found it too hard going, but certainly I don't want to put you off, I am sure you are up to it. I work in community welfare, it's pretty busy and can get a bit bureaucratic and busy sometimes.

Good luck with it, welcome, sure you will find your feet.

m2m - thank you for the welcome, yeah it feels good to know that I have work lined up straight away my partner is a metal machinist so I'm hoping that he will find a job easily enough when we get out there, I've checked out the jobs for him and there seem to be a few about! I don't really feel anything at the minute other than things pleased that things seem to be going in the right direction, I guess I'll start to feel more excited as the time gets nearer!

Olly - thanks for your reply, I think it's pretty hard work over here too I guess I'm just trying to get a handle how how different, if any, it's going to be to what I'm used to if that makes sense. What kind of community work do you do? On a totally separate note is that a GSD in your picture?

m2m - thank you for the welcome, yeah it feels good to know that I have work lined up straight away my partner is a metal machinist so I'm hoping that he will find a job easily enough when we get out there, I've checked out the jobs for him and there seem to be a few about! I don't really feel anything at the minute other than things pleased that things seem to be going in the right direction, I guess I'll start to feel more excited as the time gets nearer!

Olly - thanks for your reply, I think it's pretty hard work over here too I guess I'm just trying to get a handle how how different, if any, it's going to be to what I'm used to if that makes sense. What kind of community work do you do? On a totally separate note is that a GSD in your picture?

Hi DrewNE, I guess CP is pretty much the same as every other place, families and their circumstances are much the same the world over pretty much. I have worked for DHS at various times, and I am in an NGO at the moment, which has it's own little stuff going on:biggrin:I have worked in youth justice, outreach and disability support, as well as being involved in HIV/AIDS social support. I am hoping to have a career change soon though ! (pleeeeeez, LOL)

Yes it is a G/shepherd in my avatar, but not my dog. I have a boxer, who is double trouble. The Shepherd belongs to a friend, and I took a photo of him on his chair and thought it was cute, he's a big cuddly boy. I love the long haired shepherds. I think though, as with some breeds, they are for people who appreciate the breed, and misunderstood by some people who don't appreciate them. I have seen some of the white ones but mainly the brown and black coloured short hairs, not much variation from that in Australia, although I don't know too much about them, Kate has given some good advice above, and she would know more about them due to her professional experience. All the best with the move, and enjoy your new job.

By the way, is it in the regional area of Melb you will be working, or Gippsland way? ( I know they are super busy out there)

Hi Olly

Yeah I guess the majority of the issues are going to be the same, I guess it'll take me a little time to get used to the different ways of doing things etc etc. I worked for an NGO doing therapeutic work with young people and before that in an EBD residential unit with 5 young people - all skills I'm hoping to transfer in Oz! I'm going to be in regional Melbourne, based in Box Hill - if you know this area i'd appreciate advice on where to look for housing too?

When you say career change do you mean outside of the social care/welfare sector all together?

I am GSD crazy i have a black and tan bitch and blue and cream bitch, both long haired here in the UK, they're not coming out with me but have excellent new homes. I'm looking forward to getting, sorted, settled and a new pup in Oz!

Drew

Ah, you will be in DHS Box Hill Eastern Region. Their office is right near the transport hub in Box Hill Central Station underneath the shopping complex and a 2 minute walk.

Box Hill and surrounds has become very expensive to buy/rent, so you might like to take a look further our to the east, the main roads and Eastlink (freeway/tollway) all are very gettable. I am near Ringwood/Ringwood North , anywhere around here or Wantirna, Croydon, Lilydale, Mooroolbark even. There is a train and bus services from most of those, but they are really are a 15 minute drive. Doncaster and Templestowe skirts Box Hill but it is pretty expensive. Depends on what your budget is of course and whether you are renting or buying. That's about all I can think of for the moment. If you look at the train map of Melbourne and try and get something along that it is easy by train. Check them out:

www.metrotrains.com.au

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chris007

hi

7 years qualified, worked for leeds socil care for all 7 years, care managenment, cin, cpp & lac, court room, assessments etc etc

thanks

chris

Hi Folks

I've been offered a Child Protection job with DHS in Melbourne and am due over in October of this year, I have a Bsc Hons in Social Work, 4 years unqualified experience and 2 years PQ in CP.

I'm really looking forward to the whole experience and am keen to hear what other people's experiences have been.

I'd like to get a balanced and realistic view so would appreciate hearing the positives and negatives.

Thanks

Drew

Hold on to your hat!!:chatterbox:

Archived