Help tracing ancestry ..

Jackboots

Just wondered if anyone on here would know how to trace an ancestor from the uk turn of the last century and if you did find them how would you obtain a Birth certificate or marriage license ( who would you apply to for this .. the council ??) .. also would it have an address on do you think as to where they came from ? they emigrated to Australia after the war .. any help thanks .. i have looked at the english census .. thats my first start .. :rolleyes:

You can order certificates online from the GRO - see

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Birth certificates often have the address where the person was born and/or address of the parents.

Marriage certificates usually have some sort of residential address for the bride and groom at the time of marriage.

Did you find the person on the census - which census did you look at?

I've done lots of ancestor tracing in the UK so ask away!

Vivien

We have done our family trees and you start by looking up the census records. Knowing the date or approximate date of birth helps. You can use ancestry united or Genes united we used Genes as its cheaper. Once you think you are on the right path you can then apply for a copy of their birth certificates and marriage certificates etc, I think they cost about seven quid. We got all the documents for our ancestors as you really need to check and cross check that you have the right person.

Over the years names can be misspelt and names change that is how our surnames have evolved. We found many different spellings as people were not literate and the people who wrote the records just guess the spelling.

It helps to have a date of birth to work back from say mum and dad and then their parents etc, then back again and census checking census.

It does not come cheap when you get into it. Nothing is free once you find a link good luck.

Thank you so much .. its actually not for me its for someone i know and she is going to the uk for the first time ever on holiday her parents migrated here just after the war and she would love to visit her mothers place of birth .. so i said i would ask around where to start .. here seemed logical as people are more likely to know something moving to and fro etc with the connections either end .. i hoped .. thanx much appreciated :)

Does she have her mother's Australian death certificate? (I assume her mother died in Australia after migrating?) That will sometimes give the actual borough/town/village, although sometimes you get only the county or the country.

If she knows her mother's date of birth I can look in the UK Birth Index as I have subscriptions to a couple of family history sites. You could PM me her mother's name and DOB if you like.

Vivien

Hi Sharon

Just thinking about this a bit more: her mother's Oz death certificate may also have where and when she was married.

And your friend's own birth certificate may have the birthplace, age and year and place of marriage of her parents.

I say "may" because in Oz certificates vary from state to state and this information is not always given.

However my NSW birth certificate has all those details for my parents including details of my mother's birthplace and their marriage in England.

Vivien

My dad's into all that sort of thing, he maintains the easiest way is to join your local family history society. Most of these family databases you have to pay to access, but the societies have free access for their members.

Just wondered if anyone on here would know how to trace an ancestor from the uk turn of the last century and if you did find them how would you obtain a Birth certificate or marriage license ( who would you apply to for this .. the council ??) .. also would it have an address on do you think as to where they came from ? they emigrated to Australia after the war .. any help thanks .. i have looked at the english census .. thats my first start .. :rolleyes:

Hi

I have a subscription to Ancestry.com for UK records. I'd be happy to do a few lookups for you if you want to PM me with more details. With regard to ordering UK certificates, you order direct from the Genral Registrars Office as they are the cheapest.

Thanks

Thank you all , she has names and where abouts .. she just wondered where to get the certificates from .. ie: birth and mariage for the address born etc .. i have passed on all the info and websites .. thank you so much for the help and advice :)

Guest VickyMel

Within Australia I noticed there were some migration museums - I wonder if one of those might have details about how you might trace some information on migrants. They may have some useful records of who was coming in and details about their origins.

Thank you all , she has names and where abouts .. she just wondered where to get the certificates from .. ie: birth and mariage for the address born etc .. i have passed on all the info and websites .. thank you so much for the help and advice :)

Website for ordering UK Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates is

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

For census records you'll need subscriptions to websites such as Ancestry.com, or you can visit local libraries and family history centres that often have free access.

For census records you'll need subscriptions to websites such as Ancestry.com, or you can visit local libraries and family history centres that often have free access.

Census records are only available up to and including 1911 as the Census Act applies a 100 year non disclosure.

To order from the GRO, IIRC, you will need the reference number which you can get from FreeBMD or, if she was born after the indexing period then you will need to get the reference number from the index fiches which you can find in many large libraries (if you dont know how to do that, send me a pm and I can look it up for you).

If you dont know the reference number then you can write to the Superintendent Registrar of the district in which they were born and supply name and date of birth - you will have to pay them by cheque though rather than credit card which you can use if you get them from the GRO.

Archived