how much are cars!!?

paigedean

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ebstar

From what i have found on the net and speaking to friends in Melb cars retain their value for years. One of reasons is due to the weather. Cars in the Uk can turn quite quickly into rust buckets needing welding/new panels etc. There also seems to be a big difference in the price of certain makes/models. From what i understand in the Uk you can pick up a cheap run about/banger for £500-£1000 in Oz you would need $2000-$3000. Someone else may be able to give you a more accurate guide for the area you are planning on living.

Guest RichB

Prices of second hand cars in Australia, just like everything else here Extortionate..really ridiculous prices, and it doesnt end there..You still have a rip off stamp duty to pay once you have purchased the car..I couldnt believe this blatant rip off, stamp duty on the car..and then on your car insurance you have to pay a stamp duty again plus GST...Never mind though..Your Government loves you..

Depends which car you choose. Some more, some less.

European models are usually much more expensive but they usually "up-spec" them (e.g. you won't find a BMW 316 available, the entry-level model now is the 320) and some other makes are only available with auto-trans, making them more expensive to start with. Some Japanese and Korean cars, bought new, are cheaper. For example the Prius (just happens to be the one I chose for comaprison) ranges betweem $35K and $45K. If you take a $2 to £1 ER, that's cheaper than the UK which the websites give me a price range of £21K and £24K.

Second-hand cars are expensive, by comparison. Generally, the appear to be in better condition. Not sure about MOTs (we live in the ACT) but you can get the NRMA (or the equivalent in Vic, Qld, WA etc.) to check a car out for a fee (I think it's about $200).

If you really want a European car and can afford it, I suggest you look out for a demonstrator. You can get a bargain that way.

The other thing to consider is leasing. If you're job involves travel (e.g. I manage an IT business and need to visit clients on an almost daily basis), you can claim the cost of fuel, repairs, rego etc as well as lease payments against tax (based on the percentage private versus business usage). This is how many people fund their purchase of expensive models like BMW, Lexus, Audi and Mercs.

Second hand cars are more expensive here, they hold their condition and value MUCH more than in the UK. People don't seem to swap and change vehicles every year either. There is no stigma driving around in a 20 yr old car our here, if it gets you from A to B its fine ,it doesnt have to be the model above the neighbours or the other school mums,lol.

Ebay and the Trading Post are good for getting to grip with prices on different models. Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest chris955

I'm not really sure why cars are so expensive, modern cars do not turn to rust like they used to even on the coast so that doesn't really explain it.

I have to disagree with Cal, people are definitely aware of what they drive and what friends and family drive. Maybe that is different in more rural areas ?

You really have to spend at least $4k to get a half decent banger, you can of course buy really cheap cars but they end up as money pits.

Guest siamsusie

Seeing Cal's husband is in the business Chris, I would have thought she knows exactly what she is talking about!

Guest chris955

Well I have owned plenty of cars in both countries and haven't seen anything to make me think they are any different. In fact the worst car I had was a Falcon that had lived near the coast and was a rust bucket. I'm not in the trade so it is just my experience ;)

Guest siamsusie

Our second car is a Mitsubishi Verada station wagon, brought from new, 17 yrs old, looks as good as new, excellent service record.

It has gone Karratha - Nullabor =Tasmania many times, worth about $2,000K if that, but I would have no hesitation in going around Australia in it again.

I agree with Cal second hand cars hold their price. We had a Passat when for 18 months lemon. Sold bought a Toyota Corona had it for 24 years had a Corolla for 22 years. We had the cars then the kids got them. At present we have a Starlet that used to be mine and I love it still, now daughters, about 13 years old from new. My mazda from new in 2002 oh Corollla from new in 2003. We never get rid of them till they cost us money for repairs.

All are automatics and the Toyota Corolla we had for 22 years never had a problem and hardly ever had the automatic serviced. Lot of clutches :laugh:

Have to say Toyota's go and keep going when the body drops off.

My brother had a Subaru since the 70's which has just gone to heaven, one owner. He was sentimental about it and just kept it going.

I agree with Cal second hand cars hold their price. We had a Passat when for 18 months lemon. Sold bought a Toyota Corona had it for 24 years had a Corolla for 22 years. We had the cars then the kids got them. At present we have a Starlet that used to be mine and I love it still, now daughters, about 13 years old from new. My mazda from new in 2002 oh Corollla from new in 2003. We never get rid of them till they cost us money for repairs.

All are automatics and the Toyota Corolla we had for 22 years never had a problem and hardly ever had the automatic serviced. Lot of clutches :laugh:

My brother had a Subaru since the 70's which has just gone to heaven, one owner. He was sentimental about it and just kept it going.

Do you live rural too then ?lol

Not that i do anyway, and even if i did ,my car being only 3 years old isnt exactly old,lol. but just wanted to check.

Cal x

Guest guest30038
2nd hand cars are expensive, not sure why, and remember there is no mot so careful choosing required, as at least with an mot basic safety is checked

In Qld, and I think perhaps in other states, the car cannot be driven without a "roadworthy" (MOT) and dealerships are required to have roadworthies on their vehicles. No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I've never seen a car for sale (other than private) that isn't issued with a roadworthy.

Guest guest30038

We bought a pulsar 12 yrs back for bridget.................to tell you how old it was, it was a Datsun Pulsar not a Nissan. It cost us 700 bucks and she got 10 yrs out of it with only the clutch needing replacing.

Then I bought a 2nd hand Pajero for 9k for myself. It had 180000 on the clock and we pushed that up to 320000 before we sold it for 5k 6 yrs later with it standing me only a radiator and clutch..............6yrs motoring for 4k............can't go far wrong at that.

I've now got a 3litre landcruiser that cost 15k with 130k on the clock. 5 yrs later it's on 200k with the only expense being the clutch. I expect it'll go another 100k

For me............I couldn't have asked for cheaper motoring.

kev

Guest chris955

I don't think anyone is saying they don't hold there value, after all that is why they are more expensive :wink: Older cars here definitely stay in better condition as far as rust goes, generally speaking but it doesn't account for why a 2 or 3 year old car is so much more expensive here when the condition would be practically identical to one in the UK.

I agree about Toyota's, we are looking at maybe a Prius in the UK.

Guest siamsusie
In Qld, and I think perhaps in other states, the car cannot be driven without a "roadworthy" (MOT) and dealerships are required to have roadworthies on their vehicles. No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I've never seen a car for sale (other than private) that isn't issued with a roadworthy.

WA dont require them Kev and neither does Tasmania.. but when we brought the Mits and the Toyota 4x4 over from WA, to get it re registered, they had to go over the pits before new number plates could be issued.

If your rego runs out then its over the pits for road worthiness

Guest chris955

For me the biggest difference between car ownership in the 2 countries is the cost of Registration and CTP, depending on the State it can be $1000 a year for a big car. A cheap small runaround can still be $600 a year.

For me the biggest difference between car ownership in the 2 countries is the cost of Registration and CTP, depending on the State it can be $1000 a year for a big car. A cheap small runaround can still be $600 a year.

Here we go again..... Always looking at the worst in Australia while brushing over the bad British points :SLEEP:

Guest John Farley
Here we go again..... Always looking at the worst in Australia while brushing over the bad British points :SLEEP:

Just facts from what i can see

Archived