Probation period?

Guest MongooseB

Guest MongooseB

Hi,

My hubby received an offer from a company in Perth, initial e-mail stated a permanent position, salary etc. They also indicated they wanted him over there ASAP.

That was last week Thursday. Today he recieved an e-mail stating they would pay 50% of his visa and flight for him to complete his assessment, training and 3 month probation period. This was never mentioned in any correspondence to start with and has left us feeling confused and not sure what to do.

They state that if, after the 3 months, he has successfully completed his probation and is still interested in staying, they would "move to get his family here". So, it would mean him resigning from his job in the UK, taking a chance for 3 months, leaving the family behind with no assurance of anything at the end.

Is this normal for Australian companies? Why would they initially offer to sponsor all of our visas with confirmation of a permanent job and then change the offer a week later???

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Most positions these days have a built in probation period - all of the positions in our office certainly do and we are a not for profit organization. It is also usual practice in government so I cant see private enterprise being that much different. It is also not unusual for probation periods to be extended if the employee isnt quite up to scratch. 3 months is what we have.

Guest JK2510

I'm a little confused by this!! Would this mean they would sponsor him on a 457 or 121 subclass but only for 3 months if the worse come to the worse. I thought these job sponsored visas were a minimum of 2 years.

Guest MongooseB
I'm a little confused by this!! Would this mean they would sponsor him on a 457 or 121 subclass but only for 3 months if the worse come to the worse. I thought these job sponsored visas were a minimum of 2 years.

Thank you for asking this question, I wasn't sure myself. Can anyone advise on the type of visa he would most likely be sponsored. The probation thing is pretty normal all over the world, but what kind of reassurances do we have in the matter? I also thought these job sponsored visas were a minimum of 2 years? Don't understand the purpose of the sponsorship if there's a 50/50 chance of having to go back to where a person came from.

Thanks for everyone's input, I hope to find the reassurance we are looking for in this thread.

Dear Mongoose,

Hi there. The three month probation is a standard practice. Even in the UK I always had a probation period when I started a new job. From the employers point of view I would think they would apply for the 457 for the 2 or 4 year period rather than get a visa for three months and re-apply again later. Just because your hubby has a visa doesnt guarantee him a job. The employer is entitled to cancel it if the employee doesnt work out.

It's probably a case of the boss offering a permanent job and the HR department then having to say actually this is the way we normally do it!! As long as your husband is competent at his job and gets everything in writing including the bit about 'moving to get your family here' I would think you are OK. There's always a risk in starting a new job, even if you did it in the same country - although you wouldnt have had to move half way round the world for it!

Good luck

Guest JK2510
Thank you for asking this question, I wasn't sure myself. Can anyone advise on the type of visa he would most likely be sponsored. The probation thing is pretty normal all over the world, but what kind of reassurances do we have in the matter? I also thought these job sponsored visas were a minimum of 2 years? Don't understand the purpose of the sponsorship if there's a 50/50 chance of having to go back to where a person came from.

Thanks for everyone's input, I hope to find the reassurance we are looking for in this thread.

I'm not sure how he would get here apart from a job sponsored visa. The tourist visa is for 3 months but your not allowed to work.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with alot of experience in the visa migration field.

Guest TheBrockmans

I've just started a new position which has a built in 3 month probabtion period attached. i did query at the time but was told it was usual so didn't push any further. there are 3 month business visas that are free and possible that it is that which would be offered on the basis that a 457 takes 8 weeks they can apply for that in the meantime. hope that helps.

Guest MongooseB
I've just started a new position which has a built in 3 month probabtion period attached. i did query at the time but was told it was usual so didn't push any further. there are 3 month business visas that are free and possible that it is that which would be offered on the basis that a 457 takes 8 weeks they can apply for that in the meantime. hope that helps.

Thank you so much! This is starting to give me a bit more hope! Felt quite numb this morning, kind of had our hopes dashed there for a moment. But all this advice is really helping, thank you.

Guest MongooseB
Dear Mongoose,

Hi there. The three month probation is a standard practice. Even in the UK I always had a probation period when I started a new job. From the employers point of view I would think they would apply for the 457 for the 2 or 4 year period rather than get a visa for three months and re-apply again later. Just because your hubby has a visa doesnt guarantee him a job. The employer is entitled to cancel it if the employee doesnt work out.

It's probably a case of the boss offering a permanent job and the HR department then having to say actually this is the way we normally do it!! As long as your husband is competent at his job and gets everything in writing including the bit about 'moving to get your family here' I would think you are OK. There's always a risk in starting a new job, even if you did it in the same country - although you wouldnt have had to move half way round the world for it!

Good luck

What you have said makes perfect sense. We know that the MD is on recovery leave and has probably be advised by HR on the company procedures. I guess too that if there are processes in place for locals they would have to apply to migrants otherwise it could have dire consequences. As you say, there's always a risk in starting a new job but at least they aren't uprooting the family before the probation is completed.

Thank you for your advice.

Guest NeilEB

Just to echo what other's have said, I can't see anything wrong in this. They are sponsoring him for a visa, the 3 months is fairly standard, even here in the UK. I've had it, and so has my wife and we are in very different fields.

Good luck!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We have a 12 month probation period in my job here in the uk and it was the same in the job i was looking at in Australia. The worry is that having given up everything in the uk that after 3 months they will not keep him on, to me this is highly unlikely because it sounds as though they are spending quite a bit to get him there, but it appears to be normal practice, best of luck.

Guest VickyMel

Can you guage how desperate they are for him?

The temp visas have the clause that if you finish working for that employer you need to either find another sponsor or leave the country within 28 days (although it sounds like there is some flexibility on this).

You might ask that if he passes the probabtion period they start the process of sponsoring him for a 121 PR visa rather than having to wait the 2-4 year period to convert to PR. The PR would give you better security - plus may be cheaper re school fees etc.

Plus maybe if they decide to cease your OHs employment they would pay for his repatriation to the UK if necessary.

I would be tempted to ask them if they have employed other people successfully in the past using this type of offer - through to PR at the end of it?

But it depends how confident you are they want him and how important it is to you to go - its a risk.

FYI - all jobs at the place I work have a 6 month probationary period.

Good luck Vicky

Hi,

The three month visa that has been mentioned in the eVisitor visa which allows 'business' travel. This means attending a conference, exploring business opportunities etc. It is not valid for working for and getting paid by an Australian employer.

Guest jamesw

I am here on a 457 and had a 3 month probationary period - waived after one month - they must like me! I have always worked a probationary period in every job I've had so nothing new there. My employer moved me, partner and possesions over from day one but I have a clause in my contract stating that I pay a proportion of costs back if I leave within 3 years. My 457 took 2 weeks to com ethrough

Guest MongooseB
I am here on a 457 and had a 3 month probationary period - waived after one month - they must like me! I have always worked a probationary period in every job I've had so nothing new there. My employer moved me, partner and possesions over from day one but I have a clause in my contract stating that I pay a proportion of costs back if I leave within 3 years. My 457 took 2 weeks to com ethrough

Hi,

Thank you for this, it has given us some reassurance. They have offered to pay 50% flight and visa for hubby, and "if they proceed with visas" will advance the costs of getting the rest of the family across, to be paid back over an agreed upon period. The way we see it, they have clearly been burnt before and aren't prepared to expose themselves again. It doesn't worry us at all as we aren't looking for any handouts. If anything, the fact that we are still happy to go on these conditions, should show our committment to them. We are the only ones who are really taking any risk here!

But like the saying goes, "no pain, no gain".

Now we wait for the next step in the process, whatever THAT might be...

Archived