CHOICE say Australia is a rip off

Guest siamsusie

Guest guest36762
Next boxer shorts are my weapon of choice.

I just wanted to share that with everyone.

Enjoy your lunch.

me too, they're fantastic

I've tried Aussie pants and they're rubbish

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36762
this makes me cringe . Its all fine as a losely used term between mates, or whilst telling some kind of drunken annecdote, but when its embraced as a bona fide word by politicians and thrown around like some sort of uber-nationalistic mantra, it suddenly loses any kind of freindly meaning and becomes a cringeworthy term which just makes them seem out-of-touch and clueless.

Its probably the same sort of feeling as having to watch your parents trying to dance to your favourite song in front of all your friends when you were about 13.

Didn't Kevin Rudd go so far as to try and have the word put on the constitution, or something sinmilar?

What a tool.

post of the week, no, the month!

Guest guest30038

Its probably the same sort of feeling as having to watch your parents trying to dance to your favourite song in front of all your friends when you were about 13.

To you perhaps. I doubt it has that same connotation to the thousands of absolute strangers who helped each other out in the recent floods and the hardships of previous times and likely the hardships of the future.

How long you been in Oz, mate? Obviously not long enough to realise how much it means to most Aussies and how "honest" a term it has shown itself to be since I came here.

I feel sorry for the cynical who can never experience the warmth of the shared experiences that have given birth to the word "mateship"

Guest guest36762
To you perhaps. I doubt it has that same connotation to the thousands of absolute strangers who helped each other out in the recent floods and the hardships of previous times and likely the hardships of the future.

How long you been in Oz, mate? Obviously not long enough to realise how much it means to most Aussies and how "honest" a term it has shown itself to be since I came here.

I feel sorry for the cynical who can never experience the warmth of the shared experiences that have given birth to the word "mateship"

I think a healthy dose of cynicism is what's needed in order to shatter a few longstanding and frankly ridiculous anomalies of Australian corporate culture, an Inconveniant Truth perhaps?

Guest guest30038
I think a healthy dose of cynicism is what's needed in order to shatter a few longstanding and frankly ridiculous anomalies of Australian corporate culture, an Inconveniant Truth perhaps?

Please explain (Hansonesque voice), why you think "mateship" has something to do with Australian corporate culture?

yeah, that's generally classed as Human Nature. It happens everywhere. Nowhere else seems to feel the need to claim it, name it and brand it. Do the Spanish have "Amigo-ness"?

Community spirit is global, and its a wonderful thing. See Japan for a more recent example. Trying to brand it just comes across as pointless, and actually devalues the underlying sentiment, in my opinion.

Long enough to know that "mates" and "friends" are now worlds apart in definition.

Long enough to know that "mate" is now just a term that is used for addressing just about anyone, good or bad. You proved this in your post, with bold font for emphasis:

"Thanks mate" to the shop attendant

"Oi Mate" to anyone in the street to grab their attention

"Whatcha think you're doing mate!!" to the person breaking into the car

"Are you having a go mate" to the bloke you're about to punch

its become the equivalent of saying "you" or "person", to the point of utter insincerity.

If it makes you feel better, and all warm and fuzzy having people call you mate, then good for you. Doesn't mean they like you.

For the record, most Aussies I know, and 4 Australian people I just asked at work, think it is a pointless word and a little corny, too.

I feel sorry for the cynical who can never experience the warmth of the shared experiences that have given birth to the word "mateship".

so because I don't subscribe to a corny phrase it means I obviously haven't experienced the warmth and experience of Australia?

Guest guest36762
yeah, that's generally classed as Human Nature. It happens everywhere. Nowhere else seems to feel the need to claim it, name it and brand it. Do the Spanish have "Amigo-ness"?

Community spirit is global, and its a wonderful thing. See Japan for a more recent example. Trying to brand it just comes across as pointless, and actually devalues the underlying sentiment, in my opinion.

Long enough to know that "mates" and "friends" are now worlds apart in definition.

Long enough to know that "mate" is now just a term that is used for addressing just about anyone, good or bad. You proved this in your post, with bold font for emphasis:

its become the equivalent of saying "you" or "person", to the point of utter insincerity.

If it makes you feel better, and all warm and fuzzy having people call you mate, then good for you. Doesn't mean they like you.

For the record, most Aussies I know, and 4 Australian people I just asked at work, think it is a pointless word and a little corny, too.

so because I don't subscribe to a corny phrase it means I obviously haven't experienced the warmth and experience of Australia?

post of the month:wink:

Guest RichB

Ive just has the displeasure of having to spend 2 hours at Melbourne airport waiting for a flight to Perth...$ 10 for a pint of Carlton draught..God this country has to be the biggest rip off of them all.

Guest guest30038

The common use of the word "mate" has absolutely nothing to do with "mateship". It's a form of address..............nothing more, nothing less."Mateship" is something entirely different..............a culture of helping one's fellow man, and I would question your assertion that it occurs "ëverywhere" or that it is "Human Nature".......... "Survival of the fittest" seems to be the order of the day in my experience of Quite a few countries.

Your preoccupation with what you see as the "labeling" of a culture that encourages help towards ones fellow man is curious to say the least, as is your "labeling of it as a "corny phrase"? I'm guessing that the "fighting spirit" of London residents in WW11 or the "bulldog breed" was not deserving of a "label" either?

Each to their own opinion and perceptions eh? I'm just glad that I'm not perceiving through your eyes.

To Add: With respect to the OP and in view of the fact that the thread has gone way off topic, I'll say no more on this particular matter.

Guest guest36762
Ive just has the displeasure of having to spend 2 hours at Melbourne airport waiting for a flight to Perth...$ 10 for a pint of Carlton draught..God this country has to be the biggest rip off of them all.

More fool you for having a sip of Carlton draught, let alone a pint:wink:

and on Monday I flew to Melbourne airport (from Cairns) and back again, a round trip of 4,600 km for the princely sum of $119.96, which I wouldn't exactly file under 'biggest rip off of them all'. In fact I've flown that route twice in the last few weeks, although I concede the first time did cost me $10 more.

Guest guest36762
and on Monday I flew to Melbourne airport (from Cairns) and back again, a round trip of 4,600 km for the princely sum of $119.96, which I wouldn't exactly file under 'biggest rip off of them all'. In fact I've flown that route twice in the last few weeks, although I concede the first time did cost me $10 more.

Yes, thank god Richard Branson came along and shook up the airline industry:notworthy:

thats excellent!

i've bought rounds of drinks that cost way more than that!

Well,yes OZ is a major Rip Off,no doubt about that in my mind.Also though,it is not confined solely to here.The UK is just as adept at having you off big time.Thing is for me i have come here for a new start,and although i cant get the bargains i used to get there,in the grand scheme of things i don't really give two Shoyts.As my wonderful wife(Faceache)always says"just get on with it".Life is too short.:wink:

Guest peacock

Its called consumerism, charge as much as you think the punter will pay, its a world wide phenonimum

Guest NeilEB

Let's face it - we get ripped off in the UK.

Someone mentioned Steam before - well in the UK, Steam games are the same prcie as getting them from a shop. In fact it's cheaper to buy via Amazon then to use your own bandwith and get them from Steam. How?

Clothing is far more expensive here in the UK then in the US for example. Sure there are cheaper shops (supermarkets, Primark etc), but the quality is awful. Nike's can cost £100 here, whereas in the US, maybe $80 (not counting the factory outlets.

Basically what I think I'm trying to say in a very roundabout way, is that you can't really compare the cost of items across countries - what you need to do is compare different places within the same country and look for bargains.

And if you can shop online, and have them delivered for less then you can buy it in Oz, go for it - and just hope that companies don't try and put a restraint of trade on their items (yes GamesWorkshop I'm looking at you - grrrr).

So even more basically - what rockola57 said!

Guest guest36762
Its called consumerism, charge as much as you think the punter will pay, its a world wide phenonimum

phenonimum, da der de der da, phenonimum, da der de da da!

Guest siamsusie
phenonimum, da der de der da, phenonimum, da der de da da!

I think Peacock made a fair point Harpo,:wink: can we keep on topic please.

Thank you

Susie :wubclub:

Guest Sir Les Patterson
Yes, thank god Richard Branson came along and shook up the airline industry

It happened long before Richard Branson came along my friend.

Guest chris955

That may possibly be true of regional areas but this country seems just as obsessed with labels and keeping up with the latest and greatest as anywhere else.

To be honest, (im going to be slaughtered for this I know it) I feel Australia has a more traditional and natural way of living, Australians seem to be less pre-occupied with labels and fancy clothes. Think as Europeans we can be over-consumered (is there such a word? lol) and label-pretencious (sorry thats spelt wrong I know) and Im guilty of having lived my earlier adult life that way.

Less concerned with that stuff now, so I guess the fact that we dont have competitive high street prices doesnt bother me :nah:

Steph

Guest chris955

Yes that's a very good point, you see this sort of behaviour everywhere. You only have to look at any distater anywhere in the world and human nature shines through, people help people, it's what they do. It isn't Australian or British or American, it's just human nature but the media especially would have us believe it is some sort of unique Aussie characteristic.

Archived