CHOICE say Australia is a rip off

Guest siamsusie

Guest guest37336

:biglaugh::notworthy:

Don't get me started on the bananas Kev. Bloody Bob keeps PM'ing me trying to sell kilos of the bloody things, I told him it was 'racketeering' but once again he just said, 'Horooo' (I believe this is an 'Australian' habit, a bit like 'Mateship' :biggrin:) and buggered off fishing again,:biglaugh:.:biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Just an example of a Rip off.

I needed a new head cassette for my Braun shaver. At the Shaver shop in Melbourne I was quoted $93 approximate. I decided to leave it as we were flying back to the UK for a holiday. At Boots in Scotland the exact same cassette was GBP32, so roughly half price. So have now bought 2 for the price of an Aussie 1.

Also noted that the actual new shavers were pretty similiar in price so why the big descrepancy in replacement parts.

Mike

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi

Just an example of a Rip off.

I needed a new head cassette for my Braun shaver. At the Shaver shop in Melbourne I was quoted $93 approximate. I decided to leave it as we were flying back to the UK for a holiday. At Boots in Scotland the exact same cassette was GBP32, so roughly half price. So have now bought 2 for the price of an Aussie 1.

Also noted that the actual new shavers were pretty similiar in price so why the big descrepancy in replacement parts.

Mike

If you are living in Australia and buying something in the uk then everything is cheap, using the current exchange rate average skilled wages are paid at approximately 35% more in Australia.

If you are living in Australia and buying something in the uk then everything is cheap, using the current exchange rate average skilled wages are paid at approximately 35% more in Australia.

Hi Jim

And your point is????

We are not "earning" in Au but only receiving UK pensions, your point has no relevance to us. But the fact remains that an article in Au costs twice as much as in the UK, even if the exchange rate was 2.5$/GBP it would still be more expensive and I cannot understand why the huge difference in price. If anything the strong Au$ should mean imported items should cost less.

Mike

Guest siamsusie
Hi,

We are moving to Albury the end of next month pls God! I was in Harvey Norman in Drogheda, Ireland the other day and saw a fab suite I liked. Cost here €999. I checked to same suite on HN Aus and it was $1799. Big diff!

$400 bucks difference isnt too bad... and dont forget over here we can barter.. more than likely you can get a couple of hundred bucks off here.. also Harvey Norman;s prices do differ from state to state

Susie

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi Jim

And your point is????

We are not "earning" in Au but only receiving UK pensions, your point has no relevance to us. But the fact remains that an article in Au costs twice as much as in the UK, even if the exchange rate was 2.5$/GBP it would still be more expensive and I cannot understand why the huge difference in price. If anything the strong Au$ should mean imported items should cost less.

Mike

I wasn't been funny with you, but to say it was half price than what it cost in Australia, is only correct if you use the current exchange rate only and you are able to buy from the uk, but using this rate means an average skilled worker in Australia earns about 35% more, i see you are on a uk pension and that must be really tough for you and everyone else retired in Australia on a uk pension. There isn't a huge difference in price if you are working in Australia and earning AUS dollars, the huge difference is down to the huge drop in the dollar to the pound, down to $1.5 to £1, from $2.6 to £1 and thats why people think things are cheaper here in the uk and it is only any good to you if you are visiting the uk, or buying items online, which is something i would do if i was in Australia.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

My mate has retired and moved to Thailand and he says he is a very rich man over there, everything is rediculously cheap, he said a police officer earns £20 per week. But ................ he LIVES there and spends his uk pension over there. If you can earn Australian dollars and live in the uk, everything will be cheap, but who does that?

Guest siamsusie
My mate has retired and moved to Thailand and he says he is a very rich man over there, everything is rediculously cheap, he said a police officer earns £20 per week. But ................ he LIVES there and spends his uk pension over there. If you can earn Australian dollars and live in the uk, everything will be cheap, but who does that?

Jimbo we have a home in northern Thailand. my father lives there. The Thai Baht has remained strong despite the political problems there, and 2 years ago we were getting 72 Baht to the pound. Today it is 49 Baht... we support Dad every month , he is on a pension. The ridiculously cheap days are over well and truly and ex pats are finding it extremely difficult as they are in Australia to eek out their pensions and they are going home in droves... seriously!

Susie

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Jimbo we have a home in northern Thailand. my father lives there. The Thai Baht has remained strong despite the political problems there, and 2 years ago we were getting 72 Baht to the pound. Today it is 49 Baht... we support Dad every month , he is on a pension. The ridiculously cheap days are over well and truly and ex pats are finding it extremely difficult as they are in Australia to eek out their pensions and they are going home in droves... seriously!

Susie

You have another home in Northern Thailand? Your doing well aren't you gal, lol.:wink:

Its interesting looking at costs of things in different countries, but its nigh on impossible to work the true costs out, because we all compare exchange rates, our wages, the costs of things, its very complicated. People visiting a place wherever it is, the costs of things will be reflected on what they earn back home, but when living in the uk you will be earning pounds and in Australia you will be earning dollars and in Thailand its the Baht. Why has it changed so much in Thailand susie?

Guest siamsusie
You have another home in Northern Thailand? Your doing well aren't you gal, lol.:wink:

Its interesting looking at costs of things in different countries, but its nigh on impossible to work the true costs out, because we all compare exchange rates, our wages, the costs of things, its very complicated. People visiting a place wherever it is, the costs of things will be reflected on what they earn back home, but when living in the uk you will be earning pounds and in Australia you will be earning dollars and in Thailand its the Baht. Why has it changed so much in Thailand susie?

Its on the the river Mekong by the Laos /Thai border Hoff. We have had it for donkeys years and its convenient for us to see him on a frequent basis , he has no chance of living in Australia.

Food ie. rice has become extortionate in recent years , electricity , has all gone up...

In 1997 we had a massive devaluation of the Baht in Thailand , which paid dividends for people like ourselves who were getting approx. 90B to the pound... but the repercussions were severe with thousands of people unemployed, and a huge national debt. Abhisit Veijaia is the PM (unpopular/popular??) has managed to maintain the strong Baht but I personally feel it is to the detriment of the country because the crime rate is extortionate !

Expats are certainly looking at countries like Laos (Communist) and Cambodia to re locate to or back to their own countries.

The Ex pat Visa for Thailand is non too healthy also, my father has to "produce" every 12 months evidence of sufficient funds to maintain oneself and if you think DIAC are fussy.. try Thai Immigration, they change the rules pretty regularly.

Healthwise... yes we have the 30B hospitals but to receive decent treatment you have to basically be seen at a private hospital which can be costly... (ripped off??.. yes that happens).

Personally I would rather be ripped off by Australia than Thailand, which make no mistake was a gorgeous country but I think now there is better out there.

Susie x

Archived