reverse flights from uk to australia?

jodi73red

I did just that recently for my son with Qantas - log on to the Qantas UK site http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/home/gb/en, not the Aus site and it is very easy. You can also use points and pay if you have FF points.

You can probably do the same for any of the other airlines, just log onto their UK sites and pay with a credit card. Added bonus of that is that it is cheaper to fly UK to Aus than Aus to UK so you get the lower rates.

Guest siamsusie

We have just paid for a flight for our son London to Tasmania with Singapore, no issue whatsoever. On line no problems whatsoever.

Susie x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GeorgeD

Emirates wouldn't let me book tickets when I was in the UK for my wife to fly from Oz to UK...they told me I had to be on the travel itinerary. Their website said that, and their call centre confirmed it. I eventually had to transfer money to her Oz account so she could pay.

I had the same problem trying to book a flight for my niece from the USA to Oz using Delta, their website wouldn't accept it nor did the call centre. We managed to find a travel agent in her home town who would take the booking if my niece went to their office and I called with my card details while she was there!

**EDIT** It may be different if you are actually traveling on the journey yourself, but these two airlines wouldn't let me book for someone else.

Guest siamsusie

Hi George,

I usually pay for the kids to travel over to see us... mind you there is a section which does ask if you are travelling with the passengers, but I have never had any problems whatsoever .. this is all on line as well with Singapore.

Guest GeorgeD

I'm trying to think if there was any more detail...it may have been an issue that I was trying to use a UK credit card to pay for a flight from Oz without being on the itinerary. I wonder if it would've been different using a card issued in the country of departure? I didn't have any Oz cards at that point.

Different airlines may have different rules, so thumbs up for Singapore, question mark over Emirates (and Delta isn't really relevant here as they only fly to/from the USA)

But is there any way of booking a return flight overseas where you fly from Australia first.

Eg book on the Qantas site overseas for an Australian based passenger flying Aus to London and return to Aus.

Apparantly Qantas charges a lot less to its overseas customers.

Why does everyone want to book flights online via the airlines website???

People....try a travel agent, thats what they do ALL THE TIME. It's their job!!!

OK time to fess up...Im a travel agent and we do this stuff everyday. We help you, not expect you to do it all yourself.

Cheers Lucy Lou :chatterbox:

Why does everyone want to book flights online via the airlines website???

Erm, because it's generally the cheapest option, and it's convenient? Not to mention that you can go direct to the airline's representative to sort things out if there's a problem/cancellation, rather than having to deal with a middleman who may be fast asleep in a different time zone.

I would only go to a travel agents if I was flying somewhere unusual that required several different airlines to be connecting, or wanted some sort of package holiday deal.

But is there any way of booking a return flight overseas where you fly from Australia first.

Eg book on the Qantas site overseas for an Australian based passenger flying Aus to London and return to Aus.

Apparantly Qantas charges a lot less to its overseas customers.

Nope unfortunately there isn't, that's how the airlines rip us off/make money

Guest guest33730

The only way of getting the cheaper prices is if you plan to travel to the UK every year i.e. when you first fly to Aus get a return ticket with the return date being a year after you leave. You can then use that as the first leg of the return journey from Aus to the UK and then book a return flight from the UK using the first leg as your return to Aus - then just keep doing the same. It can be worth it at the moment with there being so much difference in price and with most airlines you only need to pay £50 to change the date of the return journey if you need to.

Daniel

Guest GeorgeD
The only way of getting the cheaper prices is if you plan to travel to the UK every year i.e. when you first fly to Aus get a return ticket with the return date being a year after you leave. You can then use that as the first leg of the return journey from Aus to the UK and then book a return flight from the UK using the first leg as your return to Aus - then just keep doing the same. It can be worth it at the moment with there being so much difference in price and with most airlines you only need to pay £50 to change the date of the return journey if you need to.

Daniel

That's a good idea...Emirates charged me 75 GBP to change one of my trips. I had actually checked in online and the desks at the airport were open when I decided to move my departure a couple of days later. It was 4 hours before my flight but they still managed to move me OK...the same flight 2 days later would've been 100 GBP more when I booked, but all I had to pay was the 75 GBP to change days.

Archived