Muswellbrook X poms!!

Guest kennmikp

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris and deb k
Just thought id give this thread a jump start! Just waiting on visa now cant wait and have every possible thing i could have crossed lol hope i get it. hows everybody already in muswellbrook? good christmas and new year etc? what do the sparks do?

hi maqte sparks dont do much as per normal (only jokin gerry and gordy) the sparks work on the build site and dont get on the mines much as there is a prob with there quals as well but they get **** loads of overtime as long as its clean work. there a good laugh though if you can understand them most of the fitters will be on 24/7 shift by the time the next lot come over which gives moor space in the workshop for the new guys. we still havnt had our quals sorted out so we are still a bit in limbo so we will just have to wait and see. catch you later

Guest 5am8011
hi maqte sparks dont do much as per normal (only jokin gerry and gordy) the sparks work on the build site and dont get on the mines much as there is a prob with there quals as well but they get **** loads of overtime as long as its clean work. there a good laugh though if you can understand them most of the fitters will be on 24/7 shift by the time the next lot come over which gives moor space in the workshop for the new guys. we still havnt had our quals sorted out so we are still a bit in limbo so we will just have to wait and see. catch you later[/quote

Im a spark lol. please elaborate the clean work lol how are they hard to understand? Im irish so people will prob find me hard to understand. do yous have nvq, city and gilds? how did you find christmas in the sun? How long did your visa take?? i cannot wait to get over. 24/7 shift? as in on call? I s there only two sparks? thanks for the hasty reply talk to you soon

hi chris been reading all the post on here,Fair play to all of you. I have been put forward for a interview with hitachi myself for march in london.

Been at this game 25 years open cut mine, quarry's,construction.Level 3 city & guilds, should be ok but who knows got any advice on what the ask etc.

All the best for now, stay safe

Guest chris and deb k

Hi mate had my interview in london as well two of them ofcourse one with globe 24/7 and the other with hitachi and a member of globe 24/7. the interviews are easy they are more concerned with your personal life and how you will cope being away and not to bothered with what you can do. its all about experiance and if you have worked on the mines before your quids in. i havent worked on mines before but also been in the game for about the same time. its best to have a few stories of different jobs you have done. the second interview by hitachi guys starts with a little test where its basic electrics and hydaulics just know your scheematics and symbols and you will be fine. i had not done it since the late eightys and came top (thats what they said anyway but who knows) visa takes about 50 days once they have all they need get your police checks done early as they take about 3 weeks to come through. dont worry if you have been a naughty boy, as long as you havnt been to jail your ok for the visa. the 24/7 shift is exactly the same as what we do now apart from you do 2day 3 nights in stead of 5 days . its the same rosta pattern though so loads of time off. good luck and catch you all later

Guest chris and deb k

the two sparks are jocks and we have 3 irish mechanics so we english have a lot to cope with. i have nvq and c&g but the problem is that the NSW gov doesnt recognise uk quals so its still up in the air the mechanics have been seen by the local tech collage to get our qualls recognised but not much is happening on the sparks front that i know of. you must know what clean work is if your a spark.lol you lot dont like getting dirty.there are quite a few sparks over here but only 2 that came from the uk. hope this helps

hi maqte sparks dont do much as per normal (only jokin gerry and gordy) the sparks work on the build site and dont get on the mines much as there is a prob with there quals as well but they get **** loads of overtime as long as its clean work. there a good laugh though if you can understand them most of the fitters will be on 24/7 shift by the time the next lot come over which gives moor space in the workshop for the new guys. we still havnt had our quals sorted out so we are still a bit in limbo so we will just have to wait and see. catch you later[/quote

Im a spark lol. please elaborate the clean work lol how are they hard to understand? Im irish so people will prob find me hard to understand. do yous have nvq, city and gilds? how did you find christmas in the sun? How long did your visa take?? i cannot wait to get over. 24/7 shift? as in on call? I s there only two sparks? thanks for the hasty reply talk to you soon

Guest 5am8011
the two sparks are jocks and we have 3 irish mechanics so we english have a lot to cope with. i have nvq and c&g but the problem is that the NSW gov doesnt recognise uk quals so its still up in the air the mechanics have been seen by the local tech collage to get our qualls recognised but not much is happening on the sparks front that i know of. you must know what clean work is if your a spark.lol you lot dont like getting dirty.there are quite a few sparks over here but only 2 that came from the uk. hope this helps

Its only NSW that dont reconise the nvqs etc isnt it? The only clean job is the fitting radios the nice we jobs the rest of the fun stuff is dirty starter haulin etc any way anything much dirtier be better letting a fitter do it lol the craic sounds good anyway the banter with the sparks and fitters. I cant wait!! im tempted to start swimming now lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 5am8011

Got my visa!!!! just waiting on medicals now!! hopefully wont be long. cant wait to get over and stuck into it. does anybody remember what their medical was like?

Guest 5am8011

medical on tuesday not long now hopefully till im out there cant bloody wait!!!!!! starting to get worried.......... about any1 i said i would buy a pint for we all know i was only joking right lol

Guest 5am8011

What is the name of the estate agents to steer clear from? some feedback please. if any1 is still alive that is lol

Guest 5am8011

So well be there in about 3 weeks hopefully so cyas soon!!!! got the go ahead to ship our stuff!!!!!!! get the bbq lit!!!!!

Muswellbrook nsw..!

Hi could anybody tell me what muswellbrook in NSW is like to live i.e schools, shopping,things to do,how far to beech,weather, the people & is there any crime

My wife is a nurse and may have a job offer here, we have to young children aged 7 & 9 & I work as a bricklayer/ General Builder would there be any work opportunities near here for me...really scary:arghh:not knowing what somewhere is like..!

But really excited that we could be over there soon...:biggrin:

Guest 5am8011

Hi mate the people who live there havent replied in a while. but i looked at the street view on google maps place seems beaut! muswellbrook looks like a nice we town from all research i have done about the place

• 2 weeks later...

I do not live there but I was offered a job in Musswellbrook and I live in Newcastle NSW so I drove up there to see what the place was like. It is a small country town with the usual array of shops plus a hospital and a town swimming pool. It is at least a 2 hour drive to any beach. It has a railway station that has about 2 trains a day.The thing that made my mind up not to take up the offer of employment was when I got out of my car all I could smell was coal dust. The upper Hunter Valley has the most polluted air in Australia. It's the elephant in the room because of the money that the coal mines make no one wants to talk about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just moved to Muswellbrook this week, other half working as a mechanic, I need to find something.

There haven't been many posts on this thread for a while from anyone living in the area, I was just wondering who was out there and if you have any advice for a newbie!

Cheers,

Rachel

• 3 weeks later...

ive admit ive only had a quick squizz thro' this thread and thought i would chuck out a quick post to say HI to those now in Muswellbrook, Singleton,Maitland etc.

We are in Maitland and i travel weekly to the above places. been here a couple of years and any help or info re the area im happy to share.

take care all

mark

• 1 month later...
Guest lookingforachange

HI Mark

Did u make it to Singleton ? if so what is it like to live in with a young family ? we have been offered work and thinking of moving.I have heard all stories about the dust as my daughter has allergies ( over protective mother ) is it easy to meet new people ?

Thanks

HI Mark

Did u make it to Singleton ? if so what is it like to live in with a young family ? we have been offered work and thinking of moving.I have heard all stories about the dust as my daughter has allergies ( over protective mother ) is it easy to meet new people ?

Thanks

hi, i heard the singo is not a bad place to live and has a lot more going on than muswellbrook. i dont know that from experience but i hear it often.

Guest lookingforachange

Irish couple moving to singleton next week with a toddler,anyone know of playgroups ect to meet new friends

• 2 months later...

Hi, we are in Rylstone (about 90 mins from Musswellbrook) and have been here for 5 years. Love it to bits. The rural life is lovely. It's good to get to the city now and again for shopping or entertaiment but OMG it's so good to get back home to the country (our nearest traffic lights are over 100km away in all directions lol). Let me know if you want any info:)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm a single mum with a 9 year old boy moving to Muswellbrook hopefully in January as I have been offered a job and am just waiting for 457 processing.

Any contacts/advice would be great and I would be really grateful for any meet-ups when I get there.

Thanks

Tasmin

Archived