Muswellbrook X poms!!

Guest kennmikp

Guest chris and deb k
How is everyone getting on with the move? Marc has handed his notice in but we are still waiting for a start date from Hitachi. It feels like the calm before the storm in a way because there is so much to do, I havent even been able to book the removals yet and I'm starting to get a bit nervous!:twitcy:

How is everyone else doing?

hi

i think you can tell john when you want to start thats the message i got from him as soon as i get my visa thats what i will be doing and then i will arrange everything from there

laters

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mark and Katie Singleton

Well after 3 days of sorting our house out and packing our bags Pickfords have turned up. 3 nice blokes have spent the day boxing all our belongings up and will return tomorrow with a container to load it all. The tool situation is no problem, my tool box was packed with all the tools inside, but due to the weight and ease of lifting they emptied my tool chest. So happy days.

Guest kennmikp
Well after 3 days of sorting our house out and packing our bags Pickfords have turned up. 3 nice blokes have spent the day boxing all our belongings up and will return tomorrow with a container to load it all. The tool situation is no problem, my tool box was packed with all the tools inside, but due to the weight and ease of lifting they emptied my tool chest. So happy days.

coolio :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

how clean are your tools mate????

Iv been scrubbing all my old 1s im taking!!!!

What were they like with the packing??? did they invoice every box???

Just made sure my tools were free from oil etc, I asked if the space first quoted was still the same, seem to think it would be ok, find out tomorrow when they pack the container. A lot of stuff I have taken apart to save space.

Guest kennmikp
Just made sure my tools were free from oil etc, I asked if the space first quoted was still the same, seem to think it would be ok, find out tomorrow when they pack the container. A lot of stuff I have taken apart to save space.

Ok good, mine look like new tools lol :eek:

Will be interested to know if they manage to reduce the volume of your initial survey!!!

We were quoted 455cuft, but the guy reaconed it could be just under 400 when packed (would be nice as it would give a refund to re-location allowance).

Happy days, the container has now left for Southampton, sails on the 27th and will arrive in Sydney on the 3rd October give or take. Takes 7-14 days to clear customs and then should see it mid October......and relax.......for now anyway.

Guest MarcandSarah
oh well done you guys big weight of your shoulders i'm sure. the unfortunate thing is we have that all ahead of us :eek:

I'm not looking forward to it either, John has booked flights on our behalf for the 27th Sept - there is so much to do!

Guest kennmikp
oh well done you guys big weight of your shoulders i'm sure. the unfortunate thing is we have that all ahead of us :eek:

Whens your removals guys????

Ours is booked for the 1st sept, assuming John gets the invoice paid by next thursday :chatterbox:

Just think its only the start, still got to find somewhere to live..Muswellbrook can go jump, many reports of problems with the dust from the mines etc, we are looking further than Singleton, much more for your money and closer to the coast(Cornish see) used to travelling to work so not fussed...got to find money for cars and sort schooling ugh. but for now chillsvill and look forward to our 4 day holiday by the beach near Newcastle NSW.

Guest kennmikp
I'm not looking forward to it either, John has booked flights on our behalf for the 27th Sept - there is so much to do!

when is your removals booked for????

Did you give John prefered dates for flying?????

Did it work out cheaper using the Hitachi corporate account????

It will be here before you know it! we would certainly recommend Pickfords for their promptness, professionalism, care of packing and speed of packing and the 3 guys were really nice.... we are hoping they are just as efficient the other side!

We are being put up in a house which has been described as lovely and we should be very pleased and has all new linen etc and is fully kitted out! still doing the 3 nights in Newcastle first to unwind from journey! Merewether Beach B&B in Newcastle, looks lovely and have corresponded with Jane the owner and she is very welcoming and English!

Good luck to you guys and we will keep you posted on the legs of the journey/settling in phase

Katie and Mark x

Guest MarcandSarah
when is your removals booked for????

Did you give John prefered dates for flying?????

Did it work out cheaper using the Hitachi corporate account????

Hi Ken,

We are booking Pickfords for the 21st September (just need to send over the forms) and paying for it up front. As for flights John got us good flights with Quantas for £780 each rather than £1300 so its well worth asking him for a quote, we gave him a date and he responded really quickly.

When are you planning to fly out there? The prices go up the closer you get so its well worth talking to John as soon as you can.

Guest MarcandSarah
It will be here before you know it! we would certainly recommend Pickfords for their promptness, professionalism, care of packing and speed of packing and the 3 guys were really nice.... we are hoping they are just as efficient the other side!

We are being put up in a house which has been described as lovely and we should be very pleased and has all new linen etc and is fully kitted out! still doing the 3 nights in Newcastle first to unwind from journey! Merewether Beach B&B in Newcastle, looks lovely and have corresponded with Jane the owner and she is very welcoming and English!

Good luck to you guys and we will keep you posted on the legs of the journey/settling in phase

Katie and Mark x

Sounds great, we haven't got as far as talking about accommodation yet but if its fully kitted out thats a massive help.

I think we're going to look a little further afield than Musswellbrook too, i've read mixed reviews so we're looking forward to having a bit of a reccie when we get out there - we both love the sea so the idea of having it pretty close is a big bonus!

Hope all goes well for you and look forward to hearing how it went!

Sarah & Marc xxxx

Guest kennmikp

Katie and Mark x

Got Pickfords book for our move too so its good to hear that they are very profesional ;-)

Going straight to Muswellbrook for us, wanna get there and take a bit of time to view what it has and orientate ourselves. We will be settling there, cant be done with the traveling to and from work, wanna spend as much of my down time at home with the family, not on the road.

Please keep us upto date with how you guys get on, your 1st out there, so all feedback will be a brucie bonus :-)

Guest kennmikp
Hi Ken,

We are booking Pickfords for the 21st September (just need to send over the forms) and paying for it up front. As for flights John got us good flights with Quantas for £780 each rather than £1300 so its well worth asking him for a quote, we gave him a date and he responded really quickly.

When are you planning to fly out there? The prices go up the closer you get so its well worth talking to John as soon as you can.

Are you guys flying economy or ecomomy + or business class????

Wont be needing John to sort flights just yet, but its on the top 5 list.

Guest MarcandSarah
Are you guys flying economy or ecomomy + or business class????

Wont be needing John to sort flights just yet, but its on the top 5 list.

Just economy Ken, I hate flying (it bores me to death) so even if I was flying 1st class I wouldn't appreciate it. I'm just going to knock myself out on sleeping pills and hope for the best! :SLEEP:

were gonna be the third lot out there as 2 single blokes are flying next week....regarding flights check singapore airlines out, for 3 seats economy and one cot it only cost 1740 quid, good airline as ive flown before with them .top tip with those with kids, we were gonna drop our hire car off at Newcastle airport and get Hitachi to pick us up, instead we are now driving to Muswellbrook because we will already have hired a car seat with the car.....DONT QUOTE ME but they probably wont have a vehicle with a child seat in it.

Guest kennmikp
were gonna be the third lot out there as 2 single blokes are flying next week....regarding flights check singapore airlines out, for 3 seats economy and one cot it only cost 1740 quid, good airline as ive flown before with them .top tip with those with kids, we were gonna drop our hire car off at Newcastle airport and get Hitachi to pick us up, instead we are now driving to Muswellbrook because we will already have hired a car seat with the car.....DONT QUOTE ME but they probably wont have a vehicle with a child seat in it.

Thats good price there ;-)

And thats a good top tip. Will remember to let John know about that LEGAL requirement when they are booked to pick us up.

Do you know the names of the two lads flying out next week????

Guest kennmikp
Just economy Ken, I hate flying (it bores me to death) so even if I was flying 1st class I wouldn't appreciate it. I'm just going to knock myself out on sleeping pills and hope for the best! :SLEEP:

Mik dont travel too well (in any form of transport), so we decided to make it as comfy for her and little un as possible, hence the Upgrade to Business Class.

Guest MarcandSarah
Mik dont travel too well (in any form of transport), so we decided to make it as comfy for her and little un as possible, hence the Upgrade to Business Class.

worth spending then extra pennies then, I'll just get some Sominex and two bottles of Blossom Hill - sweet dreams!:cute:

Hi Guys

To all you moving to Muswellbrook to work for Hitachi Dave and I have posted on here before to give you some advice and support.

Let us know when you are due to arrive and once you are here and have a mobile no. send me a Private Message and we will connect with you to help you settle in.

We have been in Australia 15 months now and know what you have to do to settle in as quickly as you can. We know the pros and cons and a lot of the pitfalls of emigrating to Oz.

Dave works in the mines for one of the engine companies, knows there's quite a few new lads due to start work at Hitachi and also knows how things are operating here. I work in Singleton and travel to Muswellbrook one day a week so will be able to help your partners with a few things.

Let us know if you need a bit of help. Believe us we know how you're feeling!

Safe journey to Oz and we will hopefully conect when you get here.

Take care.

Jenny & Dave :cool:

Hi Jenny

We arrive on 31st August with Mark starting work on 5th Sept, we are heading from Sydney to Newcastle for a 3 night break to recover from the flight and to give our 2 girls a chance to get use to their new surroundings etc! We are going to be looking for rental properties asap, we are still undecided on where? ideally we would prefer to be nearer to the coast, perhaps Rutherford, however depends on price and ease of getting to work for Mark, we will have to watch the pennies initally till we sort ourselves. Contemplating Singleton as our rental home location, but will have a drive around and look what we get for our money and size of properties.

I will definitely love to meet up with a few people as with Mark away in the day time and a 5 year old and 5 month old to entertain in amongst venturing out and about and looking for a home etc an adult conversation will be nice and also chatting to other people who have done the same thing as us is a bonus.

Will inbox you when we have a phone number to contact us, many thanks Katie x

Hi Jenny

We arrive on 31st August with Mark starting work on 5th Sept, we are heading from Sydney to Newcastle for a 3 night break to recover from the flight and to give our 2 girls a chance to get use to their new surroundings etc! We are going to be looking for rental properties asap, we are still undecided on where? ideally we would prefer to be nearer to the coast, perhaps Rutherford, however depends on price and ease of getting to work for Mark, we will have to watch the pennies initally till we sort ourselves. Contemplating Singleton as our rental home location, but will have a drive around and look what we get for our money and size of properties.

I will definitely love to meet up with a few people as with Mark away in the day time and a 5 year old and 5 month old to entertain in amongst venturing out and about and looking for a home etc an adult conversation will be nice and also chatting to other people who have done the same thing as us is a bonus.

Will inbox you when we have a phone number to contact us, many thanks Katie x

We were in Singleton for 10 months and moved to Rutherford 4 months ago. We find it better for us as we come from a large city and Singleton, although a lovely little suburb, it's semi-rural and it was a huge difference to what we were used to. We find Rutherford a bit better for the shops and only 30 mins or so away from the beach and majr town, instead of over an hour from Singleton. I'm still working there and the kids going to school there too at the moment. Dave works in Muswellbrook so has about 1hr 20mins drive both ways but he said it's worth it, as he prefers Rutherford, there's more available and more to do.

I'm an Infant Massage Instructor too, so will be able to help you learn some massage techniques for you to help settle your 5mth old when you get here. There is so much you have to do! I think you would probably be better off in Rutherford or nearby, as long as you partner doesn't mind the drive. It's better for you at the weekend!

Keep in touch when you arrive. I will PM my mobile no. to you.

Jenny

I meant to add don't sign up for a Mobile Contract they're minimum 24 months here, you're better on Prepaid £30 or more a month at least until you're well established. Cheapest plan is about £49 month. Telstra has the best coverage.

Also we don't have a home phone. If you buy an online no. on Skype for about $40 if on half price offer, $80 full price, it's cheaper and it only costs you $8 mth for unlimited landline calls to UK and you can buy extra credit for mobiles.

You really need to budget when you get here, it's more expensive than home!

Will update you if I think of anything else.

Archived