When do you arrive in Canberra?

surhythms

Hey Guys

Well maybe its just me being nosey or maybe Im getting overexcited as we are due to set off next week. Just wondered when people are due to arrive in Canberra, what you have planned, any jobs yet.

Here are our details anyway:

Leaving Ireland Tuesday 31st May

Arrive in Sydney 2nd June

Drive down from Sydney to Canberra in a hired car. Arrive Sunday 5th June.

Staying in short term accomodation for the month of June - in Tuggeranong - Langley Heights to be precise (costing us AUD 2295) for the month - doesnt have a washing machine but we will survive! Its a 2 bed apartment off a main house

7 high school appointments made for week one - Belconnen High, Canberra High, Lyneham High, Melrose High, Merici College, St Clares College, Stromlo High - tried to spread the highschools around most areas apart from Tuggeranong.

Looking through rentals trying to set up appointments for week one aswell

Start work on 13th June ( a week after we arrive !!!)

OH still looking for jobs and applying for everything under the sun!! - he works in IT

Suzanne

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you arent going to start work on 13 June, that's a public holiday!!!!! There you go, you got an extra day to recover!!!

wooo hoo excellent - public holiday and a four day week on the starting of my new job!! Happy Days!

Hi Suzanne

We leave Scotland on the 20th July, stopping in Singapore for 4 days (no doubt the only holiday we will get this year!!) then fly from there to Melbourne and then finally to Canberra on 26th July. We are staying at Magnolia Cottage in Ainslie for just over 4 weeks and hopefully this will give us enough time to get a long term rental, we are bringing our dog so need need to a find a pet friendly place and that isn't easy.

Have both been looking at jobs on the usual agency sites but think we are just going to wait until we are in Canberra then at least you are there if they want you start asap.

Hope all goes well for you and the family when you get to Canberra, and would be good to have a meet up at some point as it seems there are quite a few of us going to Canberra this year.

Rich & Steven

Guest Watsons

Hi Suzanne,

Your departure date has certainly come around quickly.

Our departure is on the 18th June going via Singapore and Melbourne to Canberra. We are staying at the Argyll Execuitve Apartments (hope that this one is okay). Looking at going to see a couple of schools which we have spoken to for our 2 daughters ie Merici College, Melba Copland & St Francis Xavier.

We have been in contact with recruitment companies and have been told they are happy to see us when we arrive.

Here's hoping that you have a good trip and it would be good to meet up when we get there and also meet Quoll who has been an invaluable help.

Regards

Ian & Karen

Hi Suzanne

We leave Scotland on the 20th July, stopping in Singapore for 4 days (no doubt the only holiday we will get this year!!) then fly from there to Melbourne and then finally to Canberra on 26th July. We are staying at Magnolia Cottage in Ainslie for just over 4 weeks and hopefully this will give us enough time to get a long term rental, we are bringing our dog so need need to a find a pet friendly place and that isn't easy.

Have both been looking at jobs on the usual agency sites but think we are just going to wait until we are in Canberra then at least you are there if they want you start asap.

Hope all goes well for you and the family when you get to Canberra, and would be good to have a meet up at some point as it seems there are quite a few of us going to Canberra this year.

Rich & Steven

Thanks Rich and Steven - lucky you staying in Singapore!!! Will give you all the updates once we arrive and definitely will meet up with you when you get there!

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Our departure is on the 18th June going via Singapore and Melbourne to Canberra. We are staying at the Argyll Execuitve Apartments (hope that this one is okay). Looking at going to see a couple of schools which we have spoken to for our 2 daughters ie Merici College, Melba Copland & St Francis Xavier.

We have been in contact with recruitment companies and have been told they are happy to see us when we arrive.

Here's hoping that you have a good trip and it would be good to meet up when we get there and also meet Quoll who has been an invaluable help.

Regards

Ian & Karen

Hi Ian & Karen

Wow you arent too far behind us either its really exciting isnt it. We will deffo meet up with you guys and Quoll of course - she's great for all information - thanks Quoll. Will update you all when we get there

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne

We fly out on 8th June but we're spending a few weeks visiting my OH's friends and seeing Australia before arriving in Canberra (I've never been to Oz before :laugh: )

9th-17th June - Perth

17th-22nd June - Melbourne

22nd-26th June - Sydney

26th-1st July - East Coast

1st July - Arrive in Canberra

Neither of us have jobs yet so that's what we are focussing on now.

Short term accommodation is organised in Crace from 3rd July to 17th September - renting privately off a couple going travelling (AUD 1880 per month).

Deb & Gary

Hi Suzanne

We fly out on 8th June but we're spending a few weeks visiting my OH's friends and seeing Australia before arriving in Canberra (I've never been to Oz before :laugh: )

9th-17th June - Perth

17th-22nd June - Melbourne

22nd-26th June - Sydney

26th-1st July - East Coast

1st July - Arrive in Canberra

Neither of us have jobs yet so that's what we are focussing on now.

Short term accommodation is organised in Crace from 3rd July to 17th September - renting privately off a couple going travelling (AUD 1880 per month).

Deb & Gary

Hi Deb & Gary

excellent have a fantastic holiday travelling around Oz - Im so jealous!!! we are having 3 days in Sydney and straight down to Canberra - wow thats a fantastic value on the rental - hopefully we will see you when you arrive :)

Suzanne

Hi Deb & Gary

excellent have a fantastic holiday travelling around Oz - Im so jealous!!! we are having 3 days in Sydney and straight down to Canberra - wow thats a fantastic value on the rental - hopefully we will see you when you arrive :)

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne

We definitely need a get together July / August time with so many of us heading out around the same time!

See you soon

Deb & Gary

Guest lisa2010

Hi all

we are heading to Canberra sometime between November and Jan (probably the former). Feeling overwhelmed by the whole process at the moment. We have a 6 year old daughter so need to find out good area's to live, schools etc. If anyone has any info that would be great. Also where did you find your short term lets because the one's we are looking at are really expensive!!!

ps am new to chat rooms, hope this is seen !!!

Lisa and Rich

Hi Suzanne

We definitely need a get together July / August time with so many of us heading out around the same time!

See you soon

Deb & Gary

Oh we will definitely have one !! - another bit of excitment to add to it all :)

See you guys soon

Suzanne

Hi all

we are heading to Canberra sometime between November and Jan (probably the former). Feeling overwhelmed by the whole process at the moment. We have a 6 year old daughter so need to find out good area's to live, schools etc. If anyone has any info that would be great. Also where did you find your short term lets because the one's we are looking at are really expensive!!!

Lisa and Rich

Hi Lisa and Rich

Welcome to PiO !! yeah it can be a bit overwhelming alright - we are heading out next week. Our daughter is 13 so we are looking for high schools. If you check out : http://www.det.act.gov.au/ - this will give you a list of all the public and private schools in Canberra - I believe the primary schools are good and you have lots to choose from but I think the area of Tuggeranong has OPEN SPACE schooling which wouldnt float my boat. You can also check out the NAPLAN scores aswell under www.myschool.net.edu - I think thats the address as far as I can remember - destinationoz has a child your age too so she may be able to give you some of the research she has done on schools.

As regards areas to live we first were going to stay in Belconnen but we are keeping our options open. Quoll has also said the only areas to avoid are Charnwood, Richardson and the Fyshwich side of Narrabundah. we met Julianne back in Feb when she was in Ireland and she mentioned to stay away from Holt in Belconnen and Gungahlin (apparently it resembles Nappy Valley!). I have checked out loads of rentals and to get a decent 3/4 bed with central heating (which you will need in winter) it will cost around 550 - 700 per week. Take a look at www.allhomes.com.au and www.domain.com.au which will give you an idea depending on what you are looking for.

We got a short term rental in Calwell in Tuggeranong and its workign out at 2295 for a month - its a 2 bed apartment off a main house - fairly cheap for what is out there at the moment and it has heating. take a look at : www.stayz.com.au , www.takeabreak.com.au and www.gumtree.com.au - there should be a few short term rentals there. One of the guys here got accomodation in Crace for just under 2k

Any questions just ask - im glad to help if I can or Quoll will give you loads of info on stuff aswell as she lives in Canberra.

Suzanne

Hi all

Lisa and Rich

You would be sensible to make your move as early in that time frame as possible because rentals are very hard to come by over that period as all the transferees and students are vying for the same places at that time, and everyone else is on their holidays! If you can come in October, so much the better (and you can get away with not enrolling your daughter in school until 2012 but will have time to look around and give them the eyeball test)

"Good areas" depend somewhat on where you will be working, how much disposable income you have and what you want from a house. There are a few areas to avoid - Charnwood, Narrabundah and Richardson spring instantly to mind but even Narrabundah is getting a bit upmarket. Where you will be working is probably the key - you dont want to be living at one end of the territory and working at the other if you can help it!

Check out the http://www.myschool.edu.au/ site for information on school performance and bear in mind that close to half ACT kids go to private schools so dont discount the Catholic system. Also bear in mind that most, if not all, the gov schools down in Tuggeranong were built in the age of "open plan" schools which dont work well for many kids.

Hi Suzanne,

Regards

Ian & Karen

Have you checked out the http://www.myschool.edu.au/ website? Melba Copland introduced the IB to boost its flagging numbers when the HS and college combined. I dont know how successful that has been. I am guessing that you will also have seen the report that, now, more than half of ACT's HS kids are in private schools. For my money, Canberra HS is probably the pick of the Belconnen HS. If you cant afford Radford (which would be the local pick) then Lyneham HS probably performs best of all the northside gov schools but it's a big school and you pretty much have to live in the area to get in as places are in high demand (it got some bad press with bullying recently but I think that was more one of those chronic complaining families than anything out of the ordinary - might have freed up a place or two though)

Guest lisa2010

thanks so much for that. I am a Psychiatric Nurse so i guess i will need to be near Canberra hospital - we would like a modern house with at least 3 beds (one for visitors) and some garden area, around the $500 pw mark - Chapman looks pretty expensive, what do you think?

thanks so much for that. I am a Psychiatric Nurse so i guess i will need to be near Canberra hospital - we would like a modern house with at least 3 beds (one for visitors) and some garden area, around the $500 pw mark - Chapman looks pretty expensive, what do you think?

Chapman is one of the "up market" suburbs and the primary school generally has a good reputation. Not sure you'd get much for $500 though in that area. Waramanga might be a good other option and Curtin isnt too bad but being close to Woden the rents are going to be higher. Torrens and Farrer are also usually well regarded especially if you want better than average primary schools.

Woden-Weston is essentially 1970 -80s apart from the house rebuilds from the bushfires so not quite sure how modern you need the house to be. The new builds are further out on smaller blocks usually.

Will you be working at TCH or Calvary (they have mental health programs too)?

Guest lisa2010

Not sure yet but have made contact with Canberra hospital so probably there. My husband will be working in Central so i suppose we could look at area's to the North as well. We are hoping to only have one car, so i guess if one of us can get to work easily by public transport that would be fine.

We would really like to come in Oct but our daughter would be starting school in year 2 here, however if she started school over there in October i understand she would go into reception as she will have to go back a year due to her birthday being in July, which would not be good for her. We can't really afford for me to not work until January but like you say in Jan we will be faced will possible housing issues!!!! the streesssss!! :chatterbox:

Really not sure what to do at the moment.

ps thanks Suzanne for your info - just saw your reply. I am new to this so trying to find my way around it!

Guest lisa2010

was just re reading your post about your short term accomodation, will that pose a problem regarding getting your daughter into school if you are not in the catchment area?

Not sure yet but have made contact with Canberra hospital so probably there. My husband will be working in Central so i suppose we could look at area's to the North as well. We are hoping to only have one car, so i guess if one of us can get to work easily by public transport that would be fine.

We would really like to come in Oct but our daughter would be starting school in year 2 here, however if she started school over there in October i understand she would go into reception as she will have to go back a year due to her birthday being in July, which would not be good for her. We can't really afford for me to not work until January but like you say in Jan we will be faced will possible housing issues!!!! the streesssss!! :chatterbox:

Really not sure what to do at the moment.

ps thanks Suzanne for your info - just saw your reply. I am new to this so trying to find my way around it!

She wont be going back a year because she hasnt been in the system! If she has just turns 6 in July then she will be in Kindergarten this year - totally different system with new expectations and a whole new bunch of kids, I wouldnt bother with the nomenclature just get her in with her age peers. She is going to be with that group of kids anyway, regardless of when you start her. The year level is only important if you are intending to return to UK at some point and even then it probably really isnt an issue while a kid is at primary school. You will find the standard is way lower here with much less formal expectation of the young kids.

You shouldnt have any problems getting into a school providing you arent living in a hotel or something (and even then, I have known schools to take kids albeit very unwillingly!) - once you get your rental then go for the enrolment

As for a place to live, I am an inner North girl - the rationale being that it is always easier to go out to a workplace than to go in to the city - I can walk from home but the houses arent going to be what you have in mind - mostly 1950s/60s with the occasional 40 thrown in for good measure unless they are multiple occupancy blocks in which case they wont have much of a garden.

Getting away with only one car - hmm, not so easy in all honesty. Even we (semi retired couple) still find that we need two although we had thought to consolidate. Public transport is a bit hit and miss - the outer suburbs miss more than the inner suburbs. At least in the inner suburbs you generally get a half hourly service but the further out you go the less regular they are.

Guest lisa2010
She wont be going back a year because she hasnt been in the system! If she has just turns 6 in July then she will be in Kindergarten this year - totally different system with new expectations and a whole new bunch of kids, I wouldnt bother with the nomenclature just get her in with her age peers. She is going to be with that group of kids anyway, regardless of when you start her. The year level is only important if you are intending to return to UK at some point and even then it probably really isnt an issue while a kid is at primary school. You will find the standard is way lower here with much less formal expectation of the young kids.

You shouldnt have any problems getting into a school providing you arent living in a hotel or something (and even then, I have known schools to take kids albeit very unwillingly!) - once you get your rental then go for the enrolment

As for a place to live, I am an inner North girl - the rationale being that it is always easier to go out to a workplace than to go in to the city - I can walk from home but the houses arent going to be what you have in mind - mostly 1950s/60s with the occasional 40 thrown in for good measure unless they are multiple occupancy blocks in which case they wont have much of a garden.

Getting away with only one car - hmm, not so easy in all honesty. Even we (semi retired couple) still find that we need two although we had thought to consolidate. Public transport is a bit hit and miss - the outer suburbs miss more than the inner suburbs. At least in the inner suburbs you generally get a half hourly service but the further out you go the less regular they are.

oh that's really helpful. So in that case my only issue is if we come earlier - i would be faced with having to sort out childcare to cover the school summer holidays if i were working by that time. Do the Kindergardens usually provide some holiday cover or would i need to access it elsewhere. I have a child who hates going to any sort of clubs!!!

oh that's really helpful. So in that case my only issue is if we come earlier - i would be faced with having to sort out childcare to cover the school summer holidays if i were working by that time. Do the Kindergardens usually provide some holiday cover or would i need to access it elsewhere. I have a child who hates going to any sort of clubs!!!

Nope you would have to source it elsewhere. There are school holiday programs but not usually in the school premises unlike the after school programs which usually operate out of schools. Most families take their holidays over Christmas so there is quite a bit of time where the holiday programs are a bit thin on the ground. Places like the YMCA usually have some programs going.

BTW, Kindergarten in ACT is the first year of full time school.

was just re reading your post about your short term accomodation, will that pose a problem regarding getting your daughter into school if you are not in the catchment area?

Hi Lisa

Not if we put her into a private school and I dont know if you have seen the Canberra TImes lately but there was an article on most kids going private - I have been onto a few schools (public) and they have told me that they will consider her if she doesnt live in the catchment area!

Suzanne

Guest lisa2010
Nope you would have to source it elsewhere. There are school holiday programs but not usually in the school premises unlike the after school programs which usually operate out of schools. Most families take their holidays over Christmas so there is quite a bit of time where the holiday programs are a bit thin on the ground. Places like the YMCA usually have some programs going.

BTW, Kindergarten in ACT is the first year of full time school.

Oh ok, that's really helpful. I think we have made a decision to come earlier and not worry too much about the school issues - i was getting myself into a bit of a tiz and losing site of the adventure of it all :-), also think we may look at Belconnen area as well as seems to be a bit more reasonably priced. We have just booked medicals, once they are done we can book flights - whoo hoo!!

Lisa

Guest lisa2010
Hi Lisa

Not if we put her into a private school and I dont know if you have seen the Canberra TImes lately but there was an article on most kids going private - I have been onto a few schools (public) and they have told me that they will consider her if she doesnt live in the catchment area!

Suzanne

Oh ok, that's really helpful. I think we have made a decision to come earlier and not worry too much about the school issues - i was getting myself into a bit of a tiz and losing site of the adventure of it all :-), also think we may look at Belconnen area as well as seems to be a bit more reasonably priced. We have just booked medicals, once they are done we can book flights - whoo hoo!!

Lisa

Archived