Any thoughts on Kiama / Nowra

belaroy

Guest Lisamarie

Hi there I am from Dorset, living in Townsville at the mo, but was in Nowra (husband in the navy) for the 1st 9 months of being in Oz and will be moving back there at the end of the year.

That area of NSW is very much like the Dorset countryside and I did prefer it down there than up here. Kiama is lovely, Nowra town is a bit of a dump but the surrounding areas are beautiful i.e Jervis Bay, Kangeroo Valley, Berry Gerrigong, Cambewarra etc. For decent shopping the closest area is Shellharbour about a 45 min drive from Nowra.

Unemployment in Nowra is high though and the area is mainly Navy or tourism. Apparently it has a bad drug problem but I never saw anything myself, think thats more who you mix with really.

Basically if you love shopping and nightlife then its a no go. If you are outdoorsy and enjoy things like surfing, kayaking, bushwalking then it will be paradise to you.

If I was to buy down there it would be at least 20 mins from Nowra itself, probably Gerringong or Kiama but unfortunately the house prices are quite high, where in Nowra they are quite cheap. Best places to live close to Nowra are Cambewarra, North Bomaderry and down at Vincentia which is 20 mins South.

If I was you I would live further North, Kiama upto Wollongong, there is probably more job opportunities, unless you join the Navy.

Lisa

Hi there I am from Dorset, living in Townsville at the mo, but was in Nowra (husband in the navy) for the 1st 9 months of being in Oz and will be moving back there at the end of the year.

That area of NSW is very much like the Dorset countryside and I did prefer it down there than up here. Kiama is lovely, Nowra town is a bit of a dump but the surrounding areas are beautiful i.e Jervis Bay, Kangeroo Valley, Berry Gerrigong, Cambewarra etc. For decent shopping the closest area is Shellharbour about a 45 min drive from Nowra.

Unemployment in Nowra is high though and the area is mainly Navy or tourism. Apparently it has a bad drug problem but I never saw anything myself, think thats more who you mix with really.

Basically if you love shopping and nightlife then its a no go. If you are outdoorsy and enjoy things like surfing, kayaking, bushwalking then it will be paradise to you.

If I was to buy down there it would be at least 20 mins from Nowra itself, probably Gerringong or Kiama but unfortunately the house prices are quite high, where in Nowra they are quite cheap. Best places to live close to Nowra are Cambewarra, North Bomaderry and down at Vincentia which is 20 mins South.

If I was you I would live further North, Kiama upto Wollongong, there is probably more job opportunities, unless you join the Navy.

Lisa

It will more than likely be closer to Kiama rather than Nowra, as I have Family in Albion Park. I just saw how much cheaper the houses were in Nowra and figured it was there are less jobs etc. I think every town has some form of drug problem, like you say its the circles you mix with.

Thanks for your input, I think it always helps to get someone elses perspective on things.

cheers

We live in south Sydney, but frequently visit the area for holidays or days out. Agree with what has already been said, to be honest. Kiama is lovely, but Nowra is a little bit run down. Beautiful area though. Always reminds me of the English/Welsh border when we drive down that way. Wollongong area is bigger/busier so I should imagine that you would have more success with finding employment there.

Archived