from Barnsley UK - to - Tasmania

Guest raynornina

Guest raynornina

Hi sunshine,

thanks for the area info, why would you say these are bad areas.?

we will be moving with our two young daughters 6 & 2 . we would like to be within a 20 min drive of hobart, and the beach... and in a catchment area of good schools.

where would you suggest. i have seen a few nice houses in New Norfolk, is this any good?

many thanks x

Guest SunshineSmile
Hi sunshine,

we will be moving with our two young daughters 6 & 2 . we would like to be within a 20 min drive of hobart, and the beach... and in a catchment area of good schools.

where would you suggest. i have seen a few nice houses in New Norfolk, is this any good?

many thanks x

You will be pleased to know that pretty much anywhere you choose to live in Hobart will be within an easy drive to the beach, the beaches are truely beautiful here, totally unspoilt.

The areas I suggested to avoid are areas where there are social deprivation and have more than their fair share of bogans and hoons.. unnattractive and inadvisable places to bring up your children. Hobart does have its fair share of social problems.. Absolutely not on a par with UK social issues, but never the less there are problems here too.

I dont know much about New Norfolk, but havent heard anything bad about it.. I think its a bit more than a 20 minute drive to CBD. I would suggest you look at Kingston, it seems to have what your looking for, it is a 15 minute drive to CBD but you have to drive on a very busy (and steep) highway.. However you would not have to cross the river to get to CBD. If you like the look of the Eastern shore.. have a look at Richmond.. very near to the most fabulous Seven Mile Beach (my most favourite place) and it is a beautiful historic town with a very English feel to it. Lovely place to bring up children.

Hope that helps some more!

Steph

Thanks for the info sunshine and im with you seven mile beach is just beautifull we were on the beech just before a storm the sky was amazing we have a photo and a painting of it up in our house in the uk.

we just got our case officer so will be heading for medicals and police checks really soon, cant wait to join you all in tasmania, does anyone know of any Stonemasons in the North of tas, we know plenty in hobart area but its always good to have all bases covered

thanks Cass (i will apologise now for all the questions im sure to ask you lovely people over the next few months but your experiences and knowledge are indispensable to us just at the begining of our journey)

Guest siamsusie

Hi Cass,

If you google "Stonemasons, Northern Tasmania," there are approx 7 companies.

Congratulations on getting your Case Officer and good luck with all your planning.

Susie x

Hi sunshine,

many thanks x

The first 7 suburbs Sunshine mentioned were purpose built as government housing estates for low income socio economic groups, often with very poor planning for social infrastructure - at quite a distance from the Hobart CBD and with very little infrastructure which people on low incomes particularly need, eg. a good bus service. So they have more than their fair share of social problems - unemployment, vandalism etc. They appear much more frequently than they should as the place of residence of people being charged in the law courts! Having said that, there are parts of Mornington - the higher levels up the hill - which are quite yuppified.

Moonah and Glenorchy were/are the industrial suburbs of Hobart, so not such a pleasant environment.

New Norfolk would certainly be more than 20 minutes drive to the beach and the Hobart CBD, especially in peak hour traffic. Because it is inland in a river valley it can be very cold and foggy in winter and hotter than Hobart in summer because the sea breeze does not reach there.

Vivien

Guest The Ropey HOFF

From Barnsley to Tasmania ............ i like this thread name it reminds me of when we go out with friends and they say to the wife, have you made up your mind about Australia yet and she says, No' not yet and i say ............. its tough deciding between Dewsbury and the Sunshine Coast in Brisbane. I have been to Barnsley and theres worse places to live .............. Dewsbury for one. lol

:jiggy:

Cool! I love it up in Groningen! A really lovely place!

I was born and grew up in the Uk, but am actualy Dutch. My fammily are from the south, near Breda.

There is a part of Kingston in Tasmania which used to be called Little Groningen because so many migrants from Groningen settled there. Groningen Road still exists in that area.

Vivien

Hi Cass,

Sorry cant help on the school bit but I can certainly direct you about nice areas to live.

I will start with the areas to avoid!!!

Clarendon Vale

Risdon Vale

Mornington

Warrane

Gagebrook

Bridgewater

Rokeby

Parts of Glenorchy and Moonah

Nice areas;

Kingston

Blackmans Bay

Taroona

Sandy Bay

Lindisfarne

Geilston Bay

Bellerive

Howrah

Tranmere

Richmond

New Town

North Hobart

Lenah Valley

I should perhaps add one other area to avoid - Chigwell, which, like the others, was a government housing estate.

And some other nice areas with good schools

Mt. Nelson

Dynnyrne (pronounced D'NURN)

and parts of South Hobart and West Hobart

Margate (a bit further out south of Blackmans Bay)

Vivien

Thanks Skani

I think my problem is that i love all the areas, i think moving blind might have been a better option then i wouldnt have has such a hard time deciding.

Did you guys organise somewhere to live in tas from uk or did you go over on a reccie and organise it all then move.

thanks again for all the info

Guest siamsusie

Hi Cass,

Although I am married to a Tasmanian, we still got a camper van and travelled extensively around Tasmania before deciding where to live.

How are you plans fairing?

Susie x

Hi Suise

thanks for all the information. We have our medicals booked for July 1st so figers crossed that they go well. After doing some research we relly like the look of Howrah for renting and to buy when we sell our place in the uk. the primary school looks good which is important as we have two lttle ones, it also not to far from hobart. well now that decided i guess we need to look at removals.

cass

Hi,

We are just getting sorted to apply for our 176 ss visa.

I do care work (Nina 27) My partner (kev 30) is a mechanic and we have two young daughters age 1 and 4.

We are looking at moving near Hobart (well within 20 min drive of Hobart)

We would like information of jobs, places to live, childcare, shipping etc.

And we also would like to meet some pen pals (internet pals) to get to know and maybe meet once we get there (2012 hopefully).

We currently live in Barnsley, UK.

Hiya

It's good to hear of someone else moving to Tassie.

We've just payed £4500 to ship a 20 footer with Pickfords.

Where we've just moved from isn't too far from you, at Byram ( nr Pontefract ) and I've just sold my barbers shop in Hemsworth, which is a bit nearer.(Have you noticed i've resisted the temptation to call you Cock, lol)

We fly out on the 12th of June to Hobart and are looking to live in Kingston, hopefully.

How far on are you with your visa app?

Thanks Skani

Did you guys organise somewhere to live in tas from uk or did you go over on a reccie and organise it all then move.

Just to let you know that I'm not avoiding or ignoring this question. It's just that I was brought here by my parents from New South Wales at age 6. My mother was the English migrant - a war bride in 1945, so no, she didn't have a reccie :biggrin:

Thats ok Skani

any info on anything is usefull, i think we have decided on howrah for many different reasons and once we have the visa we can decide if one or any of us will come first and sort things out or just turn up all together and hope for the best at least the internet is a great tool theses days.

cass:biggrin:

Thats ok Skani

any info on anything is usefull, i think we have decided on howrah for many different reasons and once we have the visa we can decide if one or any of us will come first and sort things out or just turn up all together and hope for the best at least the internet is a great tool theses days.

cass:biggrin:

I think Howrah is a good choice: it must be - my 94 year old Dad moved there in 1966 and is still there :biggrin:

There is a part of Kingston in Tasmania which used to be called Little Groningen because so many migrants from Groningen settled there. Groningen Road still exists in that area.

Vivien

that's funny, I'll send my husband to that street when he's homesick. :laugh:

We're thinking about moving to Margate or Snug.

• 4 months later...

Archived