Vetassess

Waitingawhile

Guest plannerOH

THANK. GOD. Positive VETASSESS result.

Of course I leave the country for 1.5 weeks beginning on Thursday. So I can't get the letter via post so VETASSESS agreed to fax it (and I have it now). I've scanned it and forwarded the positive result to Vic and am hoping for the best.

I was super, super nice to VETASSESS every time I enquired, thanking them for their work and their help and wondering if there was any way they could help move things along faster. When they said no or maybe I said 'oh, ok. I am just really excited/nervous'. I don't know what helped and what didn't, but based on what other people said on the forum, I figured I would try to very gently enquire by phone, but not too often. Also, I feel like I talked to the same two people several times. But who knows.

Now off to the doctor for the ulcer I gave myself waiting for the result.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HoutoMel

WOW!!! Congrats! And Thank God Almighty indeed! I'm truly happy for you. See?!?! Nothing to worry over. And to think--you were in the "further investigation" pool and got yours at least a month faster than me! I really wonder if me being a transit/transport planner is giving them fits. Makes me wonder if by "urban and regional planner" they really mean "town planner"...even though the ANZSCO description has transport planner (and environmental planner, which I could also function as) as a specialization under the urban and regional planner classification. Oh well.

Now that Vic has your result, I'm confident that you'll get approved by them--maybe even during your vacation, and you'll be sending your file to DIAC with Vic SS once you get back from your vacation. I'd say that you'll have your visa in time to unwrap it for Christmas, but I'm thinking you'll have it in time to give thanks for it during Thanksgiving!

Congrats again--once you get on the ground in Melbourne, see if you can find someone who'll give a transport planner a chance, lol!

Guest plannerOH

Thanks.. I feel like so much of this is random. I have no idea why things are going the way they are... I'm sure yours will show up any day now, especially because it sounds like you're good with following up-- something I wouldn't have done if not for you and others on the forum.

Speaking of credit where credit is due-- YOU are the one who encouraged me to lodge my skills assessment application soon after my Vic SS application-- otherwise I would be looking at 2012 before I had a skills assessment result... As they say, thanks heaps.

Lastly, something tells me you'll be in Melb before I will, so maybe I'll seek YOUR help. Either way it will be an adventure for both of us. Keep me updated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plannerOH

Hi, sorry if I am hogging this thread, but I am going to post another update if it helps others...

Well, less than a day before I was to go on vacation for 1.5 weeks, the VIC SS came through. I couldn't believe it, I was shaking a little. Since I had most everything together, I figured I should apply for the visa, since it takes a while for everything to be sorted out.

It is so weird to have that application in. Uploaded my docs, including just the fax copy of my skills assessment from VETASSESS. Now that I'm back, I had the paper copy waiting for me in the mailbox. If I'm asked to swap out the fax for the real thing, obviously I will.

Then I had to decide what I'm going to do about the police checks and medical stuff. Unless I messed up reading the requirements, you have to send paper fingerprint cards to the FBI. Annoying. And it takes like 10-12 weeks. And I know how patient I am (which is, not at all). So during lunch, I went to the police station and had them do my fingerprint cards, which I then sent to the FBI. The police station said they couldn't e-transmit to the FBI if the results were coming to ME, as opposed to an employer. Whatever. So I sent them in the mail.

They could, however, e-transmit my State of Ohio background check. And it was waiting in the mail for me today when I returned from vacation.

And after I applied for my visa, I had to decide about the medicals. The closest doc only does them Mon, Wed, Fri.. and I could either wait for a CO or just book them. I decided to book, and I had the choice of Aug. 29 or Sept. 16 (or later). So I picked Aug 28 and I am going for them tomorrow. I feel a little weird/foolish about it, but I need to get this thing over with. I have aged 6 years in the past 3 months worrying about this stuff.

So I still have some terrible feeling something is going to go wrong, but we will see.. Nervous about the meds ($335) and also nervous that the FBI is going to take ages to return my background check.

Houtomel, I owe you a HUGE hug and many thanks for all the info and reassurance so far. I would have been totally lost and delayed without your knowledge and answers to my direct questions. And of course all the others on this forum... I feel like a loud guest (as an American) on the poms forum, but it seems this is where the knowledge and experience is.

I will cross-post my VIC SS timeline in that thread so people have better access to the info if they want it. THANKS AGAIN! More updates to come...

Guest HoutoMel

Congrats! I knew you'd get VIC!! You just got it faster than I thought you would!

Regarding the fingerprints and FBI, I should've suggested that you go ahead and do that and completely forgot--sorry about that. It's true that they do take quite a while, but the good news is that you didn't wait until a CO requested the police check from you--so you'll be a little better off. I submitted mine back on 6 Jun and got mine around the beginning of this month. It would've been shorter but there was a payment issue (lost my wallet and credit cards after sending the forms to WV--so by the time they tried to process the card, it was shut off). Congrats on having the Ohio check already, though.

And you don't owe me anything--I'm just glad that God has put me in a position to help!! And don't worry about the meds--you'll be fine. My understanding is that they're simple and to some are even simpler than your standard physical. The main thing to remember is that you have a year to enter the country from the date of your results. Since the results are send directly to Oz, I'd recommend using 28 August as your "rule-of-thumb" date for your 1 year deadline.

So look at it this way--this time next year, you'll definitely be there!! And I'm sticking with you having your visa in time to give thanks at Thanksgiving!!

I'd update you on anything on my end with the visa but there is no update, lol.

Congrats again!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HoutoMel

I'm happy to report that I got a successful result from VETASSESS in the mail yesterday (dated 31 August 2011)!!

I could lodge my 175 now, but since it's been nearly 6 months since VIC rejected my SS, I may just wait two weeks and reapply for VIC SS before resigning myself to a 175. It's basically a 90-day gamble--VIC could say no, but they could say yes and my wait time on them could be longer than the time it'd take for a 176 to be granted. We shall see. I can't remember ever being so antsy to spend $3200 USD, lol.

Guest plannerOH

WHATS UP! Nice one. Congrats, well deserved! Now you never have to deal with them again... what a relief.

Regarding SS, that's a toughie. I guess it whether 3 months=$3k that you could potentially spend on a 175 that you eventually withdraw. Dilemma. You are much cooler-headed that I am and would be ok with another 3 months. On the other hand you could have a 175 in under 12 months.

On the plus side, either way you're good, right? Think of all the ppl who can't clear certain thresholds. You basically have a visa, it's just a matter of 9 months' difference in time. Good place to be! :)

PS congrats again!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My OH finally got his positive skills assessment and points test letter from Vetassess today , Woohoo!!

We can finally get our 175 application in.

Thanks for all the advice and help guys!

Hi everybody,I've been reading all these stuffs about Vetasses and I'm quite confused if I will still get for an advisory letter or just go on with the usual skills assessment.I hope someone can enlighten me.Thanks a lot for your replies.

Hi everybody,I've been reading all these stuffs about Vetasses and I'm quite confused if I will still get for an advisory letter or just go on with the usual skills assessment.I hope someone can enlighten me.Thanks a lot for your replies.

As far as I understand, you need a positive skills assessment for your occupation to be able to apply for state sponsorship or a visa. Advisory letter is recommended but optional, the final decision about your qualification and work experience will be made by DIAC. You can apply for advisory letter(s) at the same time as you apply for your skills assessment or at a later date, if you wish.

Hello Skyline,

We did a separate form for an advisory letter regarding my OH's work experience and degree, a few months after our skills assessment went in. There is a separate fee for this as well.

They issued the skills assessment and advisory letter at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Hi paris hipon, they seem to be sticking to their 12 - 16 week quoted times, fingers crossed you will hear back from them soon. It might be worth sending an email in a few weeks and following this with a phone call. Let us know how you get on.:smile:

i took your advice I emailed them asking when can I get my result hope it will be this October. Thanks for the advice appreciate it much! once I get my result ill come back at this thread. Praying my result will be like this :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and not like this :cry::cry::cry: ahehehhe. its gonna be either of the two soon hehe. :cute:

Hi paris hipon, they seem to be sticking to their 12 - 16 week quoted times, fingers crossed you will hear back from them soon. It might be worth sending an email in a few weeks and following this with a phone call. Let us know how you get on.:smile:

Hi there, just checked my vetassess acount today and they changed the date for "Aplication received - Documents received" - they changed it to 7 September even if they received the docs on 10 JUNE.

I have submitted my aplication for Points Test Letter in September, it reached them on 19th of September and had a hard time making them processing the payment by 3 October - it was a paper based application for Points Test Advisory Letter following skills assesment.

Please anyone had a similar problem - they changing the date for receiving the original documents? (they changed it from 3 June to 7 September!!!!!!)

:mad:

Guest Kalinka
Hi there, just checked my vetassess acount today and they changed the date for "Aplication received - Documents received" - they changed it to 7 September even if they received the docs on 10 JUNE.

I have submitted my aplication for Points Test Letter in September, it reached them on 19th of September and had a hard time making them processing the payment by 3 October - it was a paper based application for Points Test Advisory Letter following skills assesment.

Please anyone had a similar problem - they changing the date for receiving the original documents? (they changed it from 3 June to 7 September!!!!!!)

:mad:

I applied for the Points Test advice letter from Vetassess regarding my qualification (paper based application as there was no option of applying online at that time). Originally the date of receving the docs was 15 August and then a couple of weeks down the line changed to 1 September. I was worried that it would delay my application so phoned Vetassess and they told me that in their system the date was still 15 August and that would be the starting point for their assessment. 7 weeks later I've logged in to see that my assessment has been completed, now just waiting for the letter advising of result, so all in all the whole process will have taken around 10 weeks from the date of my posting the docs to them.

Guest Skyline
Hello Skyline,

We did a separate form for an advisory letter regarding my OH's work experience and degree, a few months after our skills assessment went in. There is a separate fee for this as well.

They issued the skills assessment and advisory letter at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Jaffas for your good suggestion=)

I applied for the Points Test advice letter from Vetassess regarding my qualification (paper based application as there was no option of applying online at that time). Originally the date of receving the docs was 15 August and then a couple of weeks down the line changed to 1 September. I was worried that it would delay my application so phoned Vetassess and they told me that in their system the date was still 15 August and that would be the starting point for their assessment. 7 weeks later I've logged in to see that my assessment has been completed, now just waiting for the letter advising of result, so all in all the whole process will have taken around 10 weeks from the date of my posting the docs to them.

Thank you, so I understand you have another trade/occupation that was not assessed by vetassess. Did vetassess asked for a recommendation from your assessing body in order to proceed with the qualifications assessment?

And also, if it's not to much if I ask, have they acknowledged receiving the application immediately after actually receiving it?

For instance, in my case I've sent the docs with UPS and they reached them on 19th of Sep. but they acknowledged the receipt of docs only on 4th of Oct.

Hi All, I am new here on the forum, and am seeking some opinion/ advice.

My qualification is Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and in my 7 years of work experience, the last five years are more relevant to Occupational Health & Safety Advisor role then hardcore engineering job. Though all this OSH experience is in Engineering/ Construction and Manufacturing companies. Some of my latest job roles are EHS Engineer, HS Auditor and EHS Coordinator.

My question is that is there anybody out there who had a similar situation, and can thus guide me how to proceed. Should I apply to Engineers Australia or I can try my luck at VETASSESS.

I used VETASSESS advisory service and there advice was completely vague about this. They said that though this is not a highly relevant degree, however this is evaluated at VETASSESS on a case to case basis.

Also, is there anybody with similar situation who might have applied to Engineers Australia, who can guide me.

Guest whayaaat

Hi Guys,

Just a quick query about these points advice letters. I got a migration letter from Vic uni under this new skills assessment system. The letter states the General Electrician AnZco code that I was assessed on. It also says That the OTSR issued is evidence that I meet the technical requirements for uee30807 certificate 111 in electrotechnology electrician. Is this letter sufficient to get the 10 points for my overseas qualification or is it one of these other points letters I have to get aswell?

Just when I thought I was sorted Im plunged into doubt!!!