Beer - is it all bad??

Guest MattnEm

Guest RichB

Yeah Whsikey and Gin and other spirits...$ 35 minimum for a poxy 700ml bottle, so dont drink that anymore..Cant even find a decent cider here in WA..Tassies Mercury is okay I suppose, but I really niss going into Tescos or sainsburys and seeing countless varieties of cider for sale and great stuff too..Even the cheap merrydown or Thatchers is much better than the cats piss you get here..

Guest RichB

As for wine being cheap..I dont agree, when I was in the UK I could go to Tescos and but a 4 pounds bottle of Chilean wine which was lovely. The cheapest wine I have found here in WA is a $ 6 cleanskin wine...You would have to pay $10 to find anything drinkable..Thats not that cheap considering the stuff is made here..

Guest siamsusie

I live in a wine growing region, I only buy bottled wine and pay no more than $4 - $5 a bottle for very good wine from the Tamar Valley.

Even in Karratha I manage to buy pretty good bottled wine for $5.

There is something to accomodate most tastes I find and pocket.

Susie x

Best Beers in United Kingdom

The United Kingdom citizens have preferred ales in place of lagers for the past several centuries. However, lager beers have been gaining ground in Britain also and the sales of regional ales have been affected seriously by big national lager brands. Carling, previously known as Carling Black Label, is the largest selling beer in Britain, which is originally from Canada. Equally surprising is the fact that the Australian beer brand, Foster’s Lager, is in second place in the United Kingdom, followed by Stella Artois of Belgium and Carlsberg of Netherlands.

From google...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie

I have to laugh Bob, Stella is the only beer that brings out the most brilliant pole dancer tactics in one of my sons:mad:.

Anyway, Deals Direct are excellent for bargain wines and I also use Grays On Line, great value, great auctions and in many cases free delivery.

Yeah Whsikey and Gin and other spirits...$ 35 minimum for a poxy 700ml bottle, so dont drink that anymore..Cant even find a decent cider here in WA..Tassies Mercury is okay I suppose, but I really niss going into Tescos or sainsburys and seeing countless varieties of cider for sale and great stuff too..Even the cheap merrydown or Thatchers is much better than the cats piss you get here..

Try Dan murphys, they have a big range of Pommie cider.

You can't buy good scrumpy here!

In the UK I was very definitely a real ale drinker--6X, Pedigree, Abbot, Old Speckled Hen, etc. were favourites. However, even there, come the few hot days of summer I'd probably switch to an icy cold lager.

The thing is that here the hot days last a lot longer so my taste in beer has moved to something lighter and chilled. Boags is probably a favourite though I can quite tolerate VB at a pinch.

Additionally, like others I've also moved to a lot more wine. We have a four litre cask of white in the fridge at all times--I've had to put aside my prejudice against "wine boxes" because, down here, there are some very nice ones in cask form for silly cheap money.

Where there's a will there's a way (at least for drinkers)!

Bob

Guest The Ropey HOFF
As for wine being cheap..I dont agree, when I was in the UK I could go to Tescos and but a 4 pounds bottle of Chilean wine which was lovely. The cheapest wine I have found here in WA is a $ 6 cleanskin wine...You would have to pay $10 to find anything drinkable..Thats not that cheap considering the stuff is made here..

We were getting a 5 litre box of wine for $15 and thats half the price here in the uk. We had several brands and some was rough and some was gorgeous, we will drink anything though. lol. Bottles of wine weren't cheap though.

There are some decent beers (bottled) like Squires, Little Creatures, the Lord Nelson also bottles its own beer.

I haven't bought beer from the bottle shop since Chrimbo and the homebrew kit arrived from Santa. Great beer, good price, no hangover. And living on the Upper North Shore, the nearest pub is a day long stagger away anyway, so no loss there...cheers.

Guest DaneD

My favourite Aussie beers are James Squires and Little Creatures, but theres so much choice at places like Dan Murphys, you just have to try and sample everything. The first time I went there I thought, "This is the best place ever!" haha.

I usually stick to Pure Blonde when I am having few. A pot of VB does go down a treat on a hot day too.

Guest siamsusie

shout.jpg

There are many facets that the modern ale connoisseur must consider when enjoying beer. One perplexing aspect of beer drinking is the number of different receptacles that beer can come in. When moving around Australia it can become quite confusing as to how to get the size of beer you want. Ordering a pot of beer in one state can mean a totally different thing in another. Thus it is wise to take note of the state you are drinking in and study the terminology.

Coopers Mild is a good compromise. 3.5%, tastes like a beer rather than a lager, and as its a little weaker it makes a good session beer, you can have a full carton and still get up the next day :)

James Boags, Pure Blonde and Crowne are all good.

If you drink wine, De Botolli is a good cheap wine. 4 litre box for $14 -$18......bargain :)

Guest RichB

Is a pot like one of those decorated mugs with a lid on it that they drink out of in Germany?. I have heard of a Midi before which I think they use in Victoria, looks a bit like a shot glass..Shots of amber nectar how horrible..Summer Lightening is a good summer drinking ale back in old Blight made in Salisbury, and has anyone tried Old Bastard, a lovely ale made down near my home town Devon way...Lovely drop..

Is a pot like one of those decorated mugs with a lid on it that they drink out of in Germany?. I have heard of a Midi before which I think they use in Victoria, looks a bit like a shot glass..Shots of amber nectar how horrible..Summer Lightening is a good summer drinking ale back in old Blight made in Salisbury, and has anyone tried Old Bastard, a lovely ale made down near my home town Devon way...Lovely drop..

A pot in QLD is a 10oz beer,equivalent to a middie in NSW,a schooner in QLD is a 15oz,same in NSW

Guest DaneD
Is a pot like one of those decorated mugs with a lid on it that they drink out of in Germany?

A pot, when ordered in Melbourne,is a half pint. And when it costs between $7 & £10 for a pint, my wallet appreciates a pot!

Guest RuthRescued
I have a real dilemma at the moment every time i visit a bar...

Which beer to buy? Being about 6 weeks in now I have sampled a few and thanks to the pub chain Pig and Whistle i have found some reasonable beers like Spitfire and Speckled Hen but the rest of the beer i find at the pump is just well.....$hite.:sad:

I have tried Tootheys and Carlton Draught among others but its basically cats urine - it almost makes a pint of Carling desirable....thats how bad it is!! :shocked:

Please help me understand the beer situation here in Aus...i am deeply missing real ale.

Matt you should try Archive in West End, they have an amazing beer selection, although it's not that cheap!

Archived