Beer - is it all bad??

Guest MattnEm

Guest MattnEm

I have a real dilemma at the moment every time i visit a bar...

Which beer to buy? Being about 6 weeks in now I have sampled a few and thanks to the pub chain Pig and Whistle i have found some reasonable beers like Spitfire and Speckled Hen but the rest of the beer i find at the pump is just well.....$hite.:sad:

I have tried Tootheys and Carlton Draught among others but its basically cats urine - it almost makes a pint of Carling desirable....thats how bad it is!! :shocked:

Please help me understand the beer situation here in Aus...i am deeply missing real ale.

Guest siamsusie

We have some great beers here in Tasmania

Boags, Cascade, Seven Sheds (real Ale) , Van Dieman, (real Ale) Moo Brew (Real Ale) , IronHouse Brewery Beer(Real Ale), Two Metre Tall (Real Ale)

I guess its trial and error until you find your suitable tipple!

Cheers

Susie x

Guest RichB

Yes I know what you mean. I really miss all the real ales you can buy in Tescos or sainsburys back in Blighty. You can buy some of them here in Perth, but they are very expensive..I went to one of those brew your own breweries and made some ale there, which tasted nice but no strength at all even though it was supposed to be 7%..I love the really strong English ales, Old speckled Hen, old Thumper, old peculiar a bit like me really..I havent found an Aussie ale that comes close..I find there beer tastes chemically and gives me a raging hangover..Alot of aussies dont seem to know what real ale is and how different it is from your mass produced cats whatever you call it...Probably Little Creatures is the best aussie ale I have found...New Zealand has some nice beer such as Macs, Monteiths and the best beer I have found over this part of the world is Renaissance ale from Blenheim in NZ, it is lovely and as good as most english ales..

Guest MattnEm

Thank you all for the suggestions...

There is a 'bottle shop' across the street so i will see if i can find any of those Tasmanian beers SiamSusie suggests. As to that bar in Brisbane - that sounds right up my street!! Thanks :)

And i will definitely give Coopers and Little Creatures a whirl.

As to the raging hangovers RichB mentions - i totally concur i had only 4 pints of Cartlon Draught and the following day was a total right off.

With all the moaning i have made about the dire beer situation i should balance that with the awesome selection of decent wine at really favorable prices that I am enjoying at BWS. :)

Guest markone

Hi Matt.

Unfortunatley there is no substitute !!

The bulk of aussie beer is ****e and comes with a very severe hangover !!!

It breaks my heart to spend $28 for a six pack of old speckled, that is slightly on the dated side !!!

Cheers !

J'Ale 'eres Shoyt!However dinnae despair Amigo.Salvation is at hand.Coopers Lager on draught is OK,James Squire Golden Ale and keep checking out the unusual ones at the bar,you will be pleasantly surprised sooner or later.Down at Dan Murphys there are one or two decent 5% or more crates about for around 40 bucks,like Lowenbrau imported....5.2%,or Chang,or Coopers,or if it is on special Tooheys Platinum....6.5%!You'll find summat to float your boat,we all do!:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres no pint glasses either in all of Australia, i read once that it bothered someone so much, it helped make their decision to come back to the uk. lol Amused.gif

Theres no pint glasses either in all of Australia, i read once that it bothered someone so much, it helped make their decision to come back to the uk. lol Amused.gif

Don't you believe it. You just need to know where to look.

The Customs House in Sydney serves Coopers Ale and Pure Blonde in pints and it is wonderful!

Yeah, something to do with the beer getting warm before the drink's finished. Well, it depends how quick you drink ;) I think we'll be taking along a few souvenir Paisley Beer Festival pint glasses for old times sake home bevving.

I love the look of this U Brew It place, think we'll be regulars!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Sorry .............. i should have also mentioned it wasn't just the pint glasses that made them come back, it was also the fact that all the bars and resteraunts had ................ plastic furniture. I'm not making it up, i started a thread about stupid reasons why people come back home ................ i split my sides with some of the reasons.Amused.gif

Guest JamesGong

I have to admit I miss ready access to the Greene King beers I grew up with :-( On the upside, if you look around there is a growing number of boutique breweries and pubs making good local Aussie beer like Little Creatures, but they can be expensive. Tooheys Old is ok, I suppose. I suggest you learn to love Coopers http://www.coopers.com.au/ or maybe James Squires http://www.maltshovel.com.au/ or as an alternative to VB style beers, I suggest you try Bluetongue http://www.bluetongue.com.au/

I love VB and Crown already! But then I'm a Bud drinker. Pleased to note slabs of Bud come in around the same price as VB. And Dan Murphy's looks great - kegs of Franziskaner Hefeweizen for $34.99, yum my fave European beer of all time! Gotta get a fridge big enough to cope with that!

Guest JamesGong
Don't you believe it. You just need to know where to look.

The Customs House in Sydney serves Coopers Ale and Pure Blonde in pints and it is wonderful!

Yeah, plenty of places serve pints. I'm more worried about the under sized schooners you get in Sydney these days.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Beer, spirits and lager is dear in Australia, but wine is really cheap, so ................. wine it is when we get there.

Wine is krazy cheap! Yesterday in Sainsburys I pointed out to husband that a 3 litre box of Aus wine is £19.99, whereas in Aus a 'cask' of 4l of Chardonnay can be obtained for $15 or even less. So in the UK £6.66/litre, in Australia £1.70/litre (using the faithful 2.2 conversion). That's like Spanish prices!

I found the beer to be tough in Australia!

I found it all, way too cold. No Flavor and way too fizzy.

That said, when I got to Tasmania, they had some much nicer beer! Some great microbreweries, and Boags wasn't too bad either.

I brew all of my own beer back here in the UK. I have a scaled down version of a microbrewery, and do it all from scratch. Use malted barley, water, Hopps and Yeast. In fact, I'm drinking a cracking pint of Blonde ale right now! Lovely!

Just a word of warning, to the people who are thinking the boxes of wine are the way forward. Well, the cheap stuff tastes like paint stripper, and gets you sooo smashed, you might as well have had an anesthetic! I've never had such a bad hangover, apart from drinking that stuff!

They call it goon, and it is a backpacker favorite! Many a good night was had in Byron Bay on that stuff!!

Anyway, yeah, good beer is hard to come by in Oz, but it is out there. Some of the Coopers stuff isn't too bad either, especialy if you can get it on draught. The Stout was rather nice.

Archived