Buss Serviced Suburb VS Train Route Living

Guest AndreMontauban

Guest AndreMontauban

Hey Guys.

My Visa's just been approved and I hope to be in Sydney by July. I need some advice and hope you all can help me out.

Being from South Africa I have never really experienced Public Transport and was wondering how this effects where you stay. For the first two years my Fiancé and I hope to make do with 1 vehicle and hence she might be quite dependant on Public Transport. As a couple we don’t necessarily need a quite suburb like Families with kids but we do currently live in a spacious suburb next to a race course.

The real question… To be able to use public transport effectively would one need to live near a railway station (currently looking Gordon to Hornsby, working in Chatswood and along the M2) or could one live in one of the suburbs serviced only by buses (looking around St Ives)?

I assume the suburbs offer a better quality of living, but is this worth the extra concern around transport?

I know a lot of this will be personal perference but let me know what you guys think.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest siamsusie

Hi Andre,

Bumping this up for you, and hope you receive some replies soon.

Susie x

There is a reason why real estate increases in value the closer you get to the North Shore train line stations. It is an excellent service. Cheap and on time. And far superior than the alternative.

It also helps if you are heading in to town in the evening etc.

Living within walking distance from the train station is probably the best option, but it adds considerably to the price.

There is nowhere near enough parking near the North Shore train stations, but if you can walk to the station it's great.

There is a bus from St Ives to Gordon station http://www.forestcoachlines.com.au/html/time/frame.html which would be another option.

Guest AndreMontauban

Thanks Guys.

It is good to know that the train service really works. Are the busses just as good?

My fiance and I have both thought staying in St Ives would be better than too close to the rail way as we are both used to more open space.

I personally would be using a car as my primary transport for work. Would it be feasible for her to travel by Bus and Train to Chatswood? She has yet to find work, but will be on "holiday" for the first few months while we settle in.

Any thoughts would help in settling the jitters, looks like we fly 4th July?

Yes she can take the bus and train, it's just a bit of a pain when it's raining waiting at the bus stop. She probably won't need to go to Chatswood too often, St Ives has most things you need. St Ives is the main centre for South African migrants in Sydney for some reason, and it's a lovely spot. I grew up in nearby Turramurra. Be prepared for noisy (and cheeky) cockatoos so loud you can't hear the TV, but you might be used to something similar from home.

Archived