Do we stay or do we go

Maxg

Me, my husband and 2 children (5 and 18month) have decided to emigrate to Perth, but we are now wondering if it is too big a step to do. We have a comfortable life here, but have been wanting to do this for the last 2 years.

Anyone that has emigrated to Perth can you please let me know if it is a good over there as what everyone says.

We just dont want to move and then it be the worst thing that we have ever done.

Guest chris955

I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it, if your life is good as you say and you want others to validate your decision then perhaps you need to think some more. Some have a great life here and others don't.

Just come here with your eyes open, there is crime, taxes, bad weather, rising prices etc as well as good weather, different things to do and an adventure.

I doubt it will be the worse thing you have ever done, you won't know until you try it.

Guest TREVORPAYNE

my friend has just moved out to perth and seems to be loving every minute of it.I dont know if this will help but like yourself I have decent standard of living but always loved Australia. So we have decided to bite the bullet and go give it a try, dont want to be sat here thinking what if and you only live once, so make the most of it.

Good luck with your decision.

Add me to the list of "if it aint broke dont fix it" folk.

Work out what you can afford to gamble and then make a decision about whether you are prepared to lose it all. If you have a good life in a nice place with a steady job that you like and with a good social network then try not to bugger it up. If you do come, then come with belt and braces - take a career break, rent out your house, put a time frame on your adventure, come to a certain job or bring a lot of money to tide you over the initial stages of unemployment.

What do you expect to be better in an already good life?

Some people love it.........some people hate it.......and others are indifferent.

Are you willing to sell up everything at that end to arrive here and find that it is not what you expected?

It is a big gamble but one that only you can take.................Joe Bloggs may have found his paradise but it could be hell on earth for Jane Doe..........

No-one is saying do not come....................we are all different.....you may love it but you have to ask yourself what you will do if faced with the other side of the coin.

Guest PocketMamma
Add me to the list of "if it aint broke dont fix it" folk.

Work out what you can afford to gamble and then make a decision about whether you are prepared to lose it all. If you have a good life in a nice place with a steady job that you like and with a good social network then try not to bugger it up. If you do come, then come with belt and braces - take a career break, rent out your house, put a time frame on your adventure, come to a certain job or bring a lot of money to tide you over the initial stages of unemployment.

What do you expect to be better in an already good life?

I like Quolls last statement "What do you expect to be better in an already good life?".

Do you have a list of reasons why you want to make the move, and how the move will fulfull those reasons? What could you potentially gain that you don't already have?

If you don't really have any major reason to move, then why are you? As others have said - for some it's good, for some it's bad. But if you don't have a clear idea of what you want from a move over then perhaps it is too big a step - or at least something you need to think a bit more about.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

I can’t really add much to the advice that you have already received. I have family in Perth and they absolutely love living there. Having visited a few times I can see why, as they have really settled into their new lives, the children are happy, they have made new friends, and have a beautiful home. Perth has fantastic beaches, decent weather and a lot to offer however, you only have to read some of the threads on Moving Back to the UK to realise that it is not for every-one.

We decided on our very first visit that it wasn’t for us, but the reasons had more to do with valuing our lifestyle in the UK, rather than anything else. We love the fact that we can visit often and pack absolutely loads into each trip, but have never felt a need to move to Oz on a permanent basis.

Quoll’s advice in relation to weighing up the pros and cons, and leaving some doors open in the UK seems like good advice to me. Only you can decide whether the life you could (or might) have in Australia is worth trading for the life you do have (or might have) in the UK……..hope that makes sense!!

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

Archived