Obtaining a temp 457 visa alone - help!

young2682

Hi all,

My husband has been offered a job on a temporary 457 visa subclass. I wondered if anyone has done this themselves and how we would do this as the agents are charging a lot and we want to try and save what we can on costs like this. Or is it easier to just get an agent to do it?

Any feedback/advice is greatly appreciated!

:huh:

I lodged mine online and it was very straightforward. Have a look at the paper application and if you feel you're able to fill it out then do it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1066.pdf

I think the most difficult part would be having your skills recongnised which you seem to be doing. If there are any complex medical issues/criminal records, or you're concerned you might not be able to demonstrate any evidence (previous jobs etc) then consider an agent. It took me about 1.5 hrs to do the whole thing, so generally I don't think an agent is required.

Hi,

Thanks for this info.

I have been on the link and cant figure out how to start the application as it seems to want nomination reference/number, can you shed any light on this? There is an ACN number on the contract of employment and an ABN number on the offer letter, is this anything to do with the numbers they require?

We are a pretty straight forward case and have no complexities (I hope!)

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Alex :-)

Guest can36

I too have just been offered a job on a 457 visa - but as this is an employer sponsored visa - I would expect the employer to be leading the way on this - surely you will be providing the necessary details to the employer to submit as they are the nominator in this instance! You should not require an agent to do this for you as many employers (I know mine definitely does!) have agents they use all the time when they are bringing people over. double check with them!! good luck!

Hi,

Well we were going to use an agent that the company use but they were charging £800 plus the visa fee, so this was just an initial look at whether we would be able to do it alone. I guess our next step is to tell them we will be doing it alone and what the next step would be?

Seems reasonably easy (I hope!)

Thanks for your help :-)

Guest can36

Before we got the 457 route option - we were going to go 176 ourselves - we have alots of friends who have done it with agents and lots of friends without...we started the process ourselves and it didn't seem too bad - our friends that did it themselves also didn't find it too bad - there is a lot of scaremongering goes on with agents telling you they can track things that you can't and that they have x degree of influence etc. at the end of the day - if you have a bit up the top and are careful & methodical with your application - then there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't do it yourselves! At end of day as well - the 457 will be less onerous to apply for than a permanent 176 visa. Money will be better in your pockets than someone elses - however - if you are pushed for time, can't honestly be bothered in getting into the nitty gritty reading the requirements etc. etc. then yeah - agents are probs way to go - but they will not get it done any quicker or better than someone who applies themself to the process fully! Good luck with whatever way you go!

Archived