School statistics

MazPaul

Hi everyone been looking on on http://www.myschool.edu.au at schools stats can anyone explain them to me. There is a section that has distribution of students between bottom middle and top is this just how many pupils are in each section of the school. Also which stats do we really want to be looking at on the site to see how good it is. Thanks Paul.

Well, IMHO nothing beats the eyeball test.

I think the distribution section you mention is the socio economic break down of the school population based on their residential post code - a crude reflection at best.

The easiest page to gauge performance in literacy and numeracy is the "Results in Numbers" which gives you a quick glance of where the cohort is at compared with all schools and schools with a similar socio economic breakdown.

The school profile page also gives the school a chance to sell itself and that description is an interesting one.

But, as I said, on balance, go with the eyeball test - wait until you get here then go and have a look. Just like real estate pictures, the reality is often different from the advertisements and if you dont gel with the staff that greet you then dont enrol your kids at that school. I always reckon another good indicator is to watch the playground to see what is happening and also to have a look at what happens when the kids leave school at the end of the day (and you can possibly hook up with some waiting parents and get the "back fence" gen on the place)

I agree with Quoll and you get good years and bad years at most schools.

Another thing to consider is that low performing schools do not have all low performing students and they are showered with more funds than better performing schools.

Getting to be disadvantaged used to be what most principles wanted it means more loot.

The stats are still quite new too, so you have to be careful about what assumptions you can draw. There are also the same potential issues in the UK, where teachers can teach to the test to get their results up. Most schools have a detailed school report as well, which will give you more insight.

Here is a link to a school report in WA - I've attached it as they give some guidence to the results

http://www.svacs.wa.edu.au/default.aspx?MenuID=152

Archived