New un opened items in your container

MazPaul

Hi we have some new items that we will be putting into our container for shipping. Can they tax you on new things as they see them as being imports. For instance we have a brand new still boxed gas bbq.If we leave it boxed it shows to them its never been used so isnt a risk,but if they would tax us on it for it being new we could take it out of its packaging. Then you might have it rejected as they think its been used. I thought i had read a thread telling people to remove packaging on new items.Thanks Paul.:cool:

No idea really. Assume they go by the condition it's in and the make & model no would show how old it is maybe? Though you do have to fill in declarations and it asks specifically about goods under 12 months old.

Guest destinationoz

I don't know the answer Paul but we've got shipping quotes recently and a few have said it doesn't matter if it is in the original packaging as long as its been taken out and is not totally brand new ... (for example

, we have some glass bedside lamps that we bought a few months ago and kept the boxes knowing we were going to move and the companies have said that is OK as they can see the lamps have been out and used and that is OK ...) so I reckon you should be OK esp if you take out of the box and wrap up in another bag/box .... just IMHO thou and I dont know the actual rules!!

We had heaps of new stuff , plates saucepans , knives all electric tools I'd bought 240v and it was all ok , i out on shipping form that it was all over a year old and we had no probs . I was worried though ! Only a couple of boxes were checked and if they see stuff is clean it would appear they don't get too thorough .

Is that on all house hold items? How can they tell if some thing is new or just in mint condition

Yes, all household items. I imagine once they decide something is 'new' the onus is placed upon you to prove otherwise - or pay the duty - if you want them to release it through customs.

Archived