BMI for medicals

Brown5

This maybe a really silly post but I'm starting to worry .... I have my medical a week on Tuesday and I've been trying to shift a few pounds, so far I've lost a stone. I wouldn't call myself fat, I'm a size 14, however with regards to the BMI I am classed as overweight :sad:

To be within my healthy BMI I need to lose another 14lbs which I don't think is going to happen within the next 12 days, unless I cut my arm off !!!!!!!!

So my question is ...... will the fact that I'm overweight go against me for the medical ? My OH (who is a fitness fanatic) won't be best pleased if we fail cos I like my food, especially how much we've spent.

Any comments would be appreciated ....

Tracey :sad:

Guest tommo66
This maybe a really silly post but I'm starting to worry .... I have my medical a week on Tuesday and I've been trying to shift a few pounds, so far I've lost a stone. I wouldn't call myself fat, I'm a size 14, however with regards to the BMI I am classed as overweight :sad:

To be within my healthy BMI I need to lose another 14lbs which I don't think is going to happen within the next 12 days, unless I cut my arm off !!!!!!!!

So my question is ...... will the fact that I'm overweight go against me for the medical ? My OH (who is a fitness fanatic) won't be best pleased if we fail cos I like my food, especially how much we've spent.

Any comments would be appreciated ....

Tracey :sad:

Don't worry, weight isn't a problem in itself, as long as it's not affecting your health.

I am 17.5st and 5ft9in and had no trouble.

If your BMI is under 30 then it will be okay. If between 30-40 then as long as it's not affecting your health and the doctor assesses this as so, then it will be okay too. You mention that you are in the overweight category so this is BMI under 30 so you should be okay. Try not to worry about weight as long as you're not excessively obese, which you aren't. Hope this helps.

Guest NeilEB

Phew glad to hear it!

Apparently I am double my 'ideal weight' - diet starting now! Other then asthma, I am not aware of any other underlying conditions, and have had a phew tests recently so would assume high blood pressure or diabetes would have been picked up.

Guest NeilEB
Good to hear I am well over weight and been killing myself in the gym every day but its not as easy to lose as it is to put on!.

Not as tasty either! :arghh:

Good to hear I am well over weight and been killing myself in the gym every day but its not as easy to lose as it is to put on!.

OMG you won't see me anywhere near a gym and I must admit it's not easy to lose the pounds, I can have a good weekend and put on 2lbs (by good I mean glass of wine and a takeaway:biggrin:) then watch what I eat and it will take me 2 weeks to get rid of the 2lb !!!

Thanks to everyone who has replied I can now go for my medical without worrying.

Tracey x

Archived