What's your address when you first move??

ThistleandRose

We got our visa a week ago and are beginning to make lists and preparations. Many things occur to us.. many questions to ask PIO and here's the first. When you first move over, and if you haven't got a longer term accommodation yet, what do you tell people your address is? I remember years ago when friends were back packing you could get a "Poste Restante" address - does that still exist and how does it work. Was thinking of what do you tell the mail redirection from the UK etc etc. Keen to hear your experiences.

It seems odd starting again.. no home, no history... exciting though!!

Thanks for your help.

Hey there all .... firstly congrats on your new Visa that is great news I am sure you are all totally thrilled !!!!! :biggrin: Okay so yes good question about the address ... few problems with this

1ST - Do you have any friends or Rellies in Oz ?? If so you can use there abode .. obviously ask them first lol

2nd - As far as I know and have been told that you cant use a POBOX address or similar especially if you are exporting house goods or pets

I would suggest if you have jobs then ask permission of the company if there address can be used for shipping. Once you are there you can then get sorted with rentals and then change your address and contact details with the movers and customs.

Hope that helps

Good luck with it all ... its so exciting !!!

Mine was C/- Post Office, Melbourne.

When I first went half way around Australia in 1964, I got a letter from my oldies; it was stamped, Perth, Carnarvon, Broome, Kununurra, Darwin, Alice Springs, Port Augusta, and I received it back at the Perth PO.

Cheers, Bobj.

Anything important I still have sent to my dad's address - mostly bank and credit card statements etc.

I'd also advise giving someone you trust implicitly either Power of Attorney or 3rd party mandate on your bank accounts so they can sort things out. They will be able to sign cheques and open bank accounts, take out mortgages etc which is handy as I send stuff that I buy on the internet to his address and he takes the money out of my bank account to send it onto Oz and he sorts out anything important. It gets around the old "I can't help you because of the Data Protection Act" stuff.

Archived