What exactly would be the cost and expected requirements for me dog

gaz n family

:)

I'm not saying don't take her.

Don't worry I know you weren't. But I really appreciate your comments, it has made me think about it in a different way. Our dog has to come first. At the moment my OH drops her off at my parents on the way to work and they walk her in the morning, I pick her up on a night. She is really spoilt. That would not happen in Auz, she'd be home alone all day and her needs would come after sorting out the kids.

Thanks again for the help.

Don't worry I know you weren't. But I really appreciate your comments, it has made me think about it in a different way. Our dog has to come first. At the moment my OH drops her off at my parents on the way to work and they walk her in the morning, I pick her up on a night. She is really spoilt. That would not happen in Auz, she'd be home alone all day and her needs would come after sorting out the kids.

Thanks again for the help.

Most welcome :)

It sounds like staying with your parents is definately a good choice then. If she is going to be home alone all day and have a lesser quality of life when you move to Aus, when you know she would have more here with people who love and know her, yeah, its a no brainer.

Its the emotional aspect that is hard to get to grips with. But if you think about it and put the emotion aside, you can clearly see what would be better for her. My heart is slowly breaking at the thought of leaving our dog behind and we are here till next year. But I am enjoying the time we have here with him and know he'll be very happy with my parents. And if the situation in the meantime can be changed to enable us to take him then I shall do everything I can to do so. But I know deep down it won't be changing and its only the emotional part of me holding out the hope things will be able to work out. I know we'll be making big compromises in his life by taking him and with my parents he slots right in to their routine, with their dogs and so I can't regret letting them keep him or let my emotions overrule my head on this one.

Guest china
Personally, having heard more of your situation, if it were me, its one where I would give her back to my parents. If she was the family pet and used to live there and has only been with you for two years and is now 12, I'd think why put her through all that when she is just as happy with the parents.

She is familiar with being at your parents, she goes there already 4 days a week and used to live with them most of her life. Let them keep her again if they are offering and able. Look at it this way, you are all heading off to Australia to live, let them have her back, for the companionship, the memories, the love she can give them. It'll help them hugely to have her to look after, give affection to and have for company once you are moved.

Yes you'll miss her, but you know she will be really happy with them and you'll have peace of mind.

Hi Snifter

I am not sure if this is a relpy to two people or if you have us a bit confused! She was my pet too - not just my mum's but now she is just mine, and she doesn't go four days a week, that is someone else, but that's the bitt where I wasn't sure if it was to me or the OP ;)

She won't be as happy with my mum because my mum has five other dogs whereas she is our baby, sleeps on the bed, etc etc, so I didn't make the entire situation clear. But I do appreciate your comments, it is just such a difficult decision to make!

I hope this doesn't sound argumentative, as it isn't supposed to, but I know how posts can sometimes come across as cross, and I definitely don't mean to! x

Hi Snifter

I am not sure if this is a relpy to two people or if you have us a bit confused! She was my pet too - not just my mum's but now she is just mine, and she doesn't go four days a week, that is someone else, but that's the bitt where I wasn't sure if it was to me or the OP ;)

I've gone back and slightly edited a post. 2 people replied to me and both had a dog who could be left with parents. I just got confused a bit when I was replying to one as I got the 4 days a week thing confused.

I'd quoted some stuff of theirs in some of my replies to their posts and they had replied also on this page. It gets a bit hard to keep on track of quotes and replies sometimes.

Nothing argumentative and no offense taken. I'm happy you pointed it out as I got a couple of people slightly mixed up when I replied :)

And now you've explained a bit more, it isn't so easily clear cut for you perhaps. If your parents have so many other dogs and you don't feel she would be so happy then I'd lean toward taking her. If she is fit and healthy and your vet feels she is able to travel and so on then look to taking her. Just be aware at her age there are possibly health problems that might make flying such a long distance not advisable (heart condition or some such perhaps) but your vet can give her a check up and make sure there are no obvious health issues to prevent taking her. I've read of many older dogs being shipped over although a few sadly didn't live a long time once arrived due to old age and their health taking a turn for the worse. But it wasn't the flying them over or anything like that caused them problems, just things that can happen with an older dog.

I know how sudden it can happen. I had a 13 year old dog who had never been ill in his life, always running around, happy and bouncy. One day I noticed he seemed to be out of breath, kept an eye on him and noticed after a couple of days he was losing his zip, seemed to be breathing a bit funny. Took him to the vets, it was heart failure, and 3 weeks later I'd lost him. We tried everything but there was nothing worked or slowed it down and he was gone.

Guest china

Hi Snifter!

I took her to the vet last week, and she said that she would be happy for her to travel, and could see no reason not to take her, but as you said she also pointed out that at her age things can change so suddenly. It really is so hard to decide. I spend one day talking myself in to it, and the next talking myslef out!!! I wish when you got the visa you also got a counsellor to help with all teh decisions, there are just tooooooooooooooooooo many.

Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful comments xx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest daisysmith

Hello, thank you so much for this thread - we're working from it now! The only question I've got is about the rabies vaccine - do we need to vacsinate the doggies 6 months before the trip or not? Some vets doesn't mention it some does?! We've just found out that Australia and UK are rabies free countries so...? Did you vaccinate your dogs?

We really need to know urgently as time is ticking for them and for us - if we have to do it, we have to do it this week.

Thanks again!

Daisy

Hello, thank you so much for this thread - we're working from it now! The only question I've got is about the rabies vaccine - do we need to vacsinate the doggies 6 months before the trip or not? Some vets doesn't mention it some does?! We've just found out that Australia and UK are rabies free countries so...? Did you vaccinate your dogs?

We really need to know urgently as time is ticking for them and for us - if we have to do it, we have to do it this week.

Thanks again!

Daisy

Don't quote me on this, but if you plan to return to the UK (or think you might) then you should get the rabies jab done. It has something to do with the quarantine laws and pet passports. Perhaps check the immigration UK info on this. I think if its not part of the pet passport scheme you could be faced with a longer quarantine stay on return.

Try this page http://archive.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/procedures/owners.htm

Guest daisysmith

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't mentioned (my mistake) - we are in UK going to Oz (hopefully)! Thanks!

Guest daisysmith

Thanks again!

Daisy

Thanks again!

Daisy

Hi Daisy,

I don't believe you need to worry about Rabies at all between the UK and Oz. As you say both are Rabies free. Check with your vet but I didn't vaccinate my boy for it before doing the same move and I haven't heard of other UK based dogs having to do it. Main countries it affects are South Africa and US really.

Good luck,

Karen

Guest daisysmith
Hi Daisy,

I don't believe you need to worry about Rabies at all between the UK and Oz. As you say both are Rabies free. Check with your vet but I didn't vaccinate my boy for it before doing the same move and I haven't heard of other UK based dogs having to do it. Main countries it affects are South Africa and US really.

Good luck,

Karen

Thank you very much Karen, we've also asked the autorities and they confirmed it so - no rabies thank God! Wish you all the best!

Daisy

We have approached one company so far and are waiting for a little more information back from them.

We were given two options, a gold which included everything, then a silver which included the following;

· Airline ticket for dog with BA/Qantas from Heathrow

· Airline surcharges (Handling / Security / War Insurance / Fuel / Airway Bill / Transit Fees)

· Booking of quarantine space (30 days required) with Australian authorities (NB quarantine fees not included as payable in Australia) We think this cost will be about $1,300

· Custom made PetAir UK, IATA approved, wooden travel containers with comfortable bedding and watering facility (please see notes below about the crates)

· Meet at Heathrow airport visit on day of departure, completion of Part B of DEFRA paperwork

· Official sealing of the travel container at the airport

· Assisted check-in to make sure dog is comfortably and safely away

Other than that if we were to choose the silver package and possibly save money,

what do we need to do exactly before she can fly?

I know we will need an export certificate, but not 100% sure, plus with all the import and export forms, subsequent fees, plus vet checks and their cheap fees (RIGHT!!!) would we really save any money?

If anyone can help i would really appreciate it, we have sent an email the the Carlise office but are waiting for a reply and need to know the following

1 What do we need to do to Export her?

2 What injections does she need and by when?

3 What medical checks does she need and by when

4 What is the overall medical requirements she needs to be fit to export?

5 If we do not export her before we leave, can our mother do it on our behalf?

6 Can our local Vet certify all the required documents and forms?

7 Typically how much would a vet cost that signs the EHC (I assume this is sign are the airport, please correct me if this is wrong)?

8 We are going to employ an agent to arrange the flights, but to save money we intend on arranging all the export requirements our self – is this foolish?

Hi we used petAir and they where fantastic, they did everything for us, they will even come to ur house to give the dog everything they need b4 the flight.

We paid about 3000 for our dog, i8t was money well spent, :biggrin:

Archived