tracy123

While some see this as their England

692839-english-country-cottages-tractor.jpeg

top_dog.jpg

englishcottage.jpg

group061007_468x311.jpg

Others see this

chavs.jpg

79054899.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA6DE3B137140D02EE19B1389FAD4F4B285F232A23917BC4AA

95803D1B0CA000005DC368_468x312-vi.jpg

stp021.jpg

Now who is right and who is wrong???

To me all those images are English, I guess you choose what you want to see. I think the biggest problem is the class system, that seems to stop the 2 from meeting. 1 class lives in one part of the town and the other in the other :wacko: and it seems never the 2 will meet. Well that is unless on PIO :tongue:

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36762

second last picture looks like Luton, which is a bit of a dump, and yet 5 miles down the road is the pretty town of Harpenden.

Luton has it's problems of poverty, crime etc, ethnic tension, has a large number of muslims (mostly from Pakistan) who live in one area thereby creating a ghetto.

Harpenden lives in a bubble...a very nice bubble though.

I'm not condoning these inequalities. I certainly know where I'd prefer to live, bring up kids etc (not Luton).

But right there in those 2 examples you see the diversity that is England. it can't be accused of being bland, dull, boring.....can it?

Guest homewardbound

But that is the same as any country anywhere in the world, no country is all chocolate box material.

I have to ask, why does it appear to bother you how people see England ? There is no right or wrong, the first photo's would certainly

embody my England and it isn't a place that exists in my dreams.

The second set of shots will also be the reality for others. It has nothing whatsoever to do with class, I know people who live the life portrayed in the 1st photo's

and they aren't rich or a different class than anyone else, they just work hard which could make them working class ?

I'm just not sure about the purpose of a thread like this ? I assume you live here and are happy ?

Guest guest36762
But that is the same as any country anywhere in the world, no country is all chocolate box material.

oh, but of course, Australia is different....it's somehow immune to problems

therefore, diferrent slums, different crime, different scum bags, different drug problems, different STD's

oh, but of course, Australia is different....it's somehow immune to problems

therefore, diferrent slums, different crime, different scum bags, different drug problems, different STD's

Australia is different, Australia doesnt have a class system

Guest guest36762

it does, it just more simplistic:

there's the working classes (aka 'hard working Aussie families' aka Aussie battlers), and then there's the unter-menschen

Guest homewardbound

Do you honestly believe that is true ? The only difference I see is that the media doesn't label people. You have rich, poor and those who are inbetween. It's no different they just aren't labelled the same.

Guest The Pom Queen

I love the top photo of the lovely quaint village, the problem is there are more places like the bottom photos than the top. I notice when they show the UK over here on TV it is always the lovely villages and cottages with thatched roofs etc. If all the UK was like the top photo then I would have been perfectly happy staying there.

Guest The Pom Queen

Some photos of areas up North:

bradford.jpg

news-graphics-2004_565617a.jpeg

Malham.jpg

windermere_village.jpg

So let's face it there are good and bad in all areas. It's whether or not people can afford to live in these beautiful little villages.

Guest guest37336

Hi Geoff.

I do agree that it is a very personal emotion and I guess I am lucky (if that it the right word) in that I have on my doorstep the two ends of the spectrum.

I live in a fairly quiet market town, and I live in an area that is virtually crime free and social, BUT.

No more than one and a half miles from me is an estate that is notorious for drugs, yobs and vandalism, not a week goes past that something doesn't happen on the 'infamous' estate, to give you an example mate I will relate you as meeting I had not long ago.

I was sitting in the docs waiting for my slot when a youngish fella (mid thirties) walked in, looked very tired, and absolutely exhausted. We started to chat as you do and it turned out he was seeing the doc because he was very depressed, in ONE weekend he had been witness to an armed robbery, a fella brandishing a shotgun at him and his children after a domestic, and the police chasing a muppet around the streets which resulted in the death of a bystander, this was in ONE weekend at the infamous estate, which like I said is no more than five minutes up the road.

For all intents and purposes my family are living in a utopia compared to those from the estate, you wouldn't believe the two were in the same area, let alone country.

So I guess I can see both halves as it were, if ONE town can be so ploairised in such a short distance then god knows what the whole country can be seen as by many.

Opposite ends of the spectrum mate, but just goes to show, what you 'see' and 'hear' can have a huge impact on the old mindset.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest homewardbound

It is the same virtually anywhere, where there are good people there are bad people. It just seems like a strange thread to start really. Does anyone think that the UK or indeed Australia is all picture postcard ?

Guest Guest37175

I have to ask, why does it appear to bother you how people see England ? There is no right or wrong, the first photo's would certainly

embody my England and it isn't a place that exists in my dreams.

The second set of shots will also be the reality for others. It has nothing whatsoever to do with class, I know people who live the life portrayed in the 1st photo's

and they aren't rich or a different class than anyone else, they just work hard which could make them working class ?

I'm just not sure about the purpose of a thread like this ? I assume you live here and are happy ?

Oh I think I can guess :wink:

Guest Guest37175
While some see this as their England

692839-english-country-cottages-tractor.jpeg

top_dog.jpg

englishcottage.jpg

group061007_468x311.jpg

Others see this

chavs.jpg

79054899.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA6DE3B137140D02EE19B1389FAD4F4B285F232A23917BC4AA

95803D1B0CA000005DC368_468x312-vi.jpg

stp021.jpg

Now who is right and who is wrong???

To me all those images are English, I guess you choose what you want to see. I think the biggest problem is the class system, that seems to stop the 2 from meeting. 1 class lives in one part of the town and the other in the other :wacko: and it seems never the 2 will meet. Well that is unless on PIO :tongue:

Bunch of lads out celebrating their A-level passes, British citizens exercising their right of assembly and free speech, and a beauty spot in Bradford.

Blummin' tractors are an eye-sore though....

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres good and bad in both countries and to me i want nice weather so i can go to places like Cottesloe beach for free, i spend over £10,000 a year on holidays abroad, just so i can have some sun and gorgeous beach life, i know there are some nice beaches in the south of the uk, but your not guaranteed the weather, in fact it will probabaly piddle it down in july or August as much as it is sunny. No a big part of emigrating for me is the guaranteed fantastic hot weather we had when we were there in january the hottest month, it wasn't too hot for us, we were in the pool, the jacuzzi, the sea, out and about every day, having barbies at night and sitting out, it was fantastic and............. cost hardly anything.

1399px-CottesloeBeach_gobeirne.jpg

Guest homewardbound

No offence but this post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread :confused:

Theres good and bad in both countries and to me i want nice weather so i can go to places like Cottesloe beach for free, i spend over £10,000 a year on holidays abroad, just so i can have some sun and gorgeous beach life, i know there are some nice beaches in the south of the uk, but your not guaranteed the weather, in fact it will probabaly piddle it down in july or August as much as it is sunny. No a big part of emigrating for me is the guaranteed fantastic hot weather we had when we were there in january the hottest month, it wasn't too hot for us, we were in the pool, the jacuzzi, the sea, out and about every day, having barbies at night and sitting out, it was fantastic and............. cost hardly anything.

1399px-CottesloeBeach_gobeirne.jpg

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Its got everything to do with it, i see the uk as a wet cold grey and miserable place, most of the year, you might not see it as that, someone on here tried to convince people that the weather was great here, it might be his thought process that made him think like this, opposite to nearly everyone else. I think theres nice places and not so nice places in both countries like i said before, but to me i want some nice weather, it doesn't mean the uk hasn't got alot to offer, it has, just rarely is the weather sunny and hot.

Please tell me that this isn't another uk bashing thread! :wacko:

Not everyone wants the perfect sunshine all year round, Some believe it or not enjoy seeing the four seasons, Yes even the cold crisp winters and all the snow we had! Kids loved it, maybe more so as Bournemouth never seem to get the decent stuff from one year to the next! Spring is officially here, the daffodils are popping up all along the road side, Birds are singing and nesting, so all pretty good where i am, Glorious sunshine again today and forecast for the rest of the week! :wink: We don't have the perfect cottage with roses around the door living in the perfect country side, but we are only a 20 minute drive out to the new forest if we wish to escape! Perfect!!!

Guest homewardbound

I'm afraid that is all it can be to be honest, what other purpose can a thread like this perform ?

I love the New Forest, we have spent many a beautiful sunny day exploring it's pubs :laugh:

Please tell me that this isn't another uk bashing thread! :wacko:

Not everyone wants the perfect sunshine all year round, Some believe it or not enjoy seeing the four seasons, Yes even the cold crisp winters and all the snow we had! Kids loved it, maybe more so as Bournemouth never seem to get the decent stuff from one year to the next! Spring is officially here, the daffodils are popping up all along the road side, Birds are singing and nesting, so all pretty good where i am, Glorious sunshine again today and forecast for the rest of the week! :wink: We don't have the perfect cottage with roses around the door living in the perfect country side, but we are only a 20 minute drive out to the new forest if we wish to escape! Perfect!!!

Archived