Permanent resident and partner applying from UK?

Guest Frasier2

Hello. have just read through all the info given. In similar situation. Son came out last sept with girlfriend to join us. She came out on 12mth working visa. Got cold feet, went home after 6 weeks and my son followed. They have been living together over 2 yrs. Have today spoken to DIAC who have said, If she comes across now on Partner Migration form it will be no problem But will take 2yrs to process. Could come out on sponsored visa, again takes 8-10 mths. We were advised to do a 457 visa. it's a sponsered work visa but it's temporary. Processing time 4-6 weeks. It lasts for 4yrs and at any time you can apply for a different Visa(any of above). If you become a Citizen in that time and then marry your boyfriend it helps.

To clarify, the partner visa takes 4-6months to process, she would then get a temporary/provisional partner visa, Which will be reassessed for PR two years after the original application date. So yes, it may take 2yrs to get PR, but she can come out to Australia as soon as the temp visa is granted, with full work/study rights (though think you still have to pay international fees until the PR comes through). Getting married is not necessary, as they have been living together for more than 12months.

Getting hold of a 457 is all very well, but she'd need to find a job first, and it's a temporary visa with no guarantee of getting PR. Since she qualifies for the partner visa, that's going to be the way to go.

(I'm assuming she used up her working holiday visa the first time she came out? otherwise she could come out on that and then do an onshore application, longer processing times, but she'd be in australia already)

Guest Sk1ppy
When does your resident return visa expire? You may have problems renewing this if you've never resided in Aus unless you have compelling reasons for not doing so.

Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)

Hi ali, I don't need a visa to live in the uk but I've not lived in oz for about six years and so far so good with the visa

:cute:

Hi ali, I don't need a visa to live in the uk but I've not lived in oz for about six years and so far so good with the visa

That is because you are an Australian citizen - Citizen's do not need Resident Return Visas.

Australian Permanent Residents who want to leave Australia (outside the validity of the original visa) need a RRV to get back in. These are difficult to obtain if the permanent resident has not properly taken up residence in Australia. i.e. not used their original visa :wubclub:

Sorry Sk1ppy - it was directed at the member who said their visa was RRV and hadn't yet lived in Aus

Archived