1 bit of good advice

The Hippo

Just a new member on PIO and due to come across to Melbourne in June for at least 2 years with my current employer on a 457 visa. Only applied for the job back in December and offered the job a couple of weeks ago, so maybe not as well prepared and up to speed compared with those that have been looking at a move for years.

So for those that have already made the move, what is the 1 unique bit of advice you would give to others making the step and coming across to oz that you feel may make the initial period that bit easier?

Thanks in advance

The Hippo

The OH has just bought herself a new winter jacket for oz in the North Face winter sale. She's well chuffed with her purchase.

:yes:Good, in the middle of July you will be glad of it, especially at night.....brrrrrh:arghh:

The move is a big deal for you and your family, but be aware to the average Aussie it's no deal at all. Immigrants arrive by the 1000's each year, most settle, some don't. So don't think your "special" and that people will be even vaguely impressed that you've made the big move. It's up to you to fit in with the Aussie way of life, if's not for the Aussies to fit in with you. May sound harsh, but it's a fact.

dalhousie

The move is a big deal for you and your family, but be aware to the average Aussie it's no deal at all. Immigrants arrive by the 1000's each year, most settle, some don't. So don't think your "special" and that people will be even vaguely impressed that you've made the big move. It's up to you to fit in with the Aussie way of life, if's not for the Aussies to fit in with you. May sound harsh, but it's a fact.

dalhousie

This is sooo true .... we still laugh that we expected the whole flag-waving and fan-fare as we passed through into Australia on our one-way ticket! I remember feeling very miffed that the customs official couldn't even manage to crack a smile :laugh:

Just a new member on PIO and due to come across to Melbourne in June for at least 2 years with my current employer on a 457 visa. Only applied for the job back in December and offered the job a couple of weeks ago, so maybe not as well prepared and up to speed compared with those that have been looking at a move for years.

So for those that have already made the move, what is the 1 unique bit of advice you would give to others making the step and coming across to oz that you feel may make the initial period that bit easier?

Thanks in advance

The Hippo

Mine would be to take the time to enjoy your surroundings .... rather than get swept along in the rush of all the "mundane" things that need doing in the start up period especially!

Thanks in advance

The Hippo

Get out and meet people and see the sites around Melbourne. check out a few pubs. Don't spend all your spare time on-line, e-mailing, SMS'ing or SKYPEing folks back in the UK. They are not going to help you settle in here.

I've spoken to a couple of new arrivals recently who are feeling a bit homesick. Both the wives have been at home a lot on their own while hubby is working and spend a lot of time SMS'ing etc. old friends back in the UK and then saying they're bored and there isn't much to do. They've hardly been out of the house. Due to the time difference they stay up late to communicate as they feel they are missing out on something, so feel tired most of the time.

Enjoy what you have, where you have it.

All the best.

dalhousie

Having said that dalhousie, I am always interested to hear where people are from, so yesterday when we heard an english accented guy doing my sister's fence, we chatted and got him a cuppa. He was more than happy to talk about England and us to listen, so we are not all 'uninterested'.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'll obviously be out at work every day (Mon-Fri) and initially the OH won't be working. With an 18-month old daughter the OH will be keen go integrate through attending mother and toddler groups and similar type groups.

Guest Louey

Research everything prior to leaving helped us massively. We looked at costs for rentals, phones, mobile broadband, cars etc

Try these:

realestate.com.au

carsales.com.au

Big W

K-Mart

It meant that when we got here we knew where to go to get the best deals and saved trailing round loads of places. Try and message some folks on here before you go and arrange some meets for when you get there. We have met some great people and they have fab advice as they have been through it. Also make an effort to meet some Aussies which am sure you will do through work. As for your OH and little one there seems to be loads of stuff. Just have to put yourself out there and you will be fine.

Thanks Louey. Ye done some research already to ensure that when the job offer was made I wasn't blindly accepting a job without ensuring it was financially viable for us as a family to accept this great opportunity, especially when still having substantial UK still to cover.

Thanks

The Hippo

This is sooo true .... we still laugh that we expected the whole flag-waving and fan-fare as we passed through into Australia on our one-way ticket! I remember feeling very miffed that the customs official couldn't even manage to crack a smile :laugh:

Can't believe they didn't do a welcome dance and get the flags out when you arrived! - how rude!:wink: Hope all is going well in the new house x (in case you didn't guess it's Carla - different name on this forum :biglaugh:)

Guest Phantom1974

Never get ratted on your first night and walk past a body piecing shop and think Mmmm gets get some bits pierced! Although to be fair i still have them 10 years later i must say it was a shock in the morning :laugh:

Archived