Your thoughts on our best option please

woody123

Hi all

Am in abit of a pickle, we are going to be lodging our application in the next couple of months and now have the option of going with a skilled family sponsored visa 176 (been told it will be a long wait) or get state sponsorship from SA instead because this a slightly quicker route? My OH is a brickie and is on SA SMP but we did want to live in Queensland as we have family there. Also how to you find out what category you are??

Think I'm confusing myself now....help!!!

You're thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Woody.:unsure:

Only you can decide where you want to live and how long you are prepared to wait for a visa.

BUT do get on with it. I know tradies are going to find it more difficult to pass the points test from 1st July have you looked at this? If you are better with points from current system then take the route that will get the application lodged in time.

Have you done skills assessment yet?

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes OH has done skills assessment, we are waiting on the result. I'm aware of the changes coming in July and we are up against the clock because OH doesn't have enough points on the new system so our deadline to apply is June.

We were all set on going the family sponsored route, family in OZ have started getting all their paperwork together and we are nearly ready to go this end but then our agent mentioned the SS route and totally through a spanner in the works.

I've been reading on here about what category people are on different SMP's but I can't seem to find what Brickie would be on SA SMP?

I'm beginning to get very stressed out!

Thanks again

Mrs Woody.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes OH has done skills assessment, we are waiting on the result. I'm aware of the changes coming in July and we are up against the clock because OH doesn't have enough points on the new system so our deadline to apply is June.

We were all set on going the family sponsored route, family in OZ have started getting all their paperwork together and we are nearly ready to go this end but then our agent mentioned the SS route and totally through a spanner in the works.

I've been reading on here about what category people are on different SMP's but I can't seem to find what Brickie would be on SA SMP?

I'm beginning to get very stressed out!

Thanks again

Mrs Woody.

Hi Mrs Woody,

If you got SA SS as a bricky you'd be in CAT 2 (as long as brickies are still on the SA SMP) so your visa should get processed faster than a CAT 3 or CAT 4. We were thinking of applying to SA for SS as WA had not opened their SMP. We decided that 2 years of living in SA would be better than not getting into OZ at all as we'd not be eligble after the 1st July. Obviously you're in a slightly be better position than us having family over there so you've got more than one route you can choose to get in. I guess it really depends on how quickly you'd like to get your visa and whether you'd be prepared to live in different part of Oz for a while. Tough decision. Good luck :smile:

Hi Mrs Woody,

If you got SA SS as a bricky you'd be in CAT 2 (as long as brickies are still on the SA SMP) so your visa should get processed faster than a CAT 3 or CAT 4. We were thinking of applying to SA for SS as WA had not opened their SMP. We decided that 2 years of living in SA would be better than not getting into OZ at all as we'd not be eligble after the 1st July. Obviously you're in a slightly be better position than us having family over there so you've got more than one route you can choose to get in. I guess it really depends on how quickly you'd like to get your visa and whether you'd be prepared to live in different part of Oz for a while. Tough decision. Good luck :smile:

Hi Hevchick,

Thanks for the info. Having the two options is making it tough because I'm prepared like yourself to go to SA just to get in to Oz but OH really wants to go to Queensland to be near family. I've spoken to my agent today and she said to try and get SS, then if we get accepted to then decide what route to go down.....SS or FS. We are up against the clock because OH doesn't have enough points come July. I'm just worried that if we go for the FS it will take years to get our visa! We are waiting for OH skills assessment to come back, he did practical on 22FEB, I wish they would hurry up!!! What does your OH do and where are you in Essex?

Guest VickyMel

Unless your occupation is on the SOL a family sponsored visa would likely require you to wait a very long time by the way things are going at the moment. At least SA would be closer to your QLD family than the UK and you would quite possibly move there quicker by living in SA for 2 years than you would with a family visa - some people who applied in 2008 are still waiting I think.

As your agent suggests maybe try for the SA SS and then make the decision.

Hi Hevchick,

Thanks for the info. Having the two options is making it tough because I'm prepared like yourself to go to SA just to get in to Oz but OH really wants to go to Queensland to be near family. I've spoken to my agent today and she said to try and get SS, then if we get accepted to then decide what route to go down.....SS or FS. We are up against the clock because OH doesn't have enough points come July. I'm just worried that if we go for the FS it will take years to get our visa! We are waiting for OH skills assessment to come back, he did practical on 22FEB, I wish they would hurry up!!! What does your OH do and where are you in Essex?

I think that what your agent is saying makes perfect sense. I'm not sure what the processing times are for CAT 3 but like vickymel has said above I think you'll be waiting a lot longer to go to Queensland by the FS route than if you managed to get SA SS and went as a CAT2.

You should hear back from vetassess about your practical results shortly. My OH did his practical on 25th May and got the result on the 11th June, so it took about 18 days.

My OH is a bricklayer as well and we live in Brentwood. Although we are going with WA, it has taken us 2 half months from lodging with WA for SS to getting to the stage of having a CO for the 176 visa which is a lot faster than we expected! Have a look at my signature below for our timeline. I think there maybe a thread on PIO for those that have applied to SA for SS. Good Luck. let me know what you decide :smile:

Archived