House prices, jobs, the economy, UK

Guest cricketbackinengland

Guest AndyandYvonneD
The banking and mining industry in Australia is booming not the little person in the street. And that's all China is interested in.

As far as the NHS goes, what national service or government can afford to treat the growing number of obesity, excess alcohol, smoking and drug related problems? It's this that's killing off the NHS because there isn't enough money to cure it. It isn't fair on those people who look after their health and then get sick or the chronically ill.

Mortgages - I don't really get this. If rates have been historically low at around 0%, how can you not afford to pay your mortgage. Other bills might have increased slightly but I can't see any huge changes or wild price increases.

Crime - nothing happens here that doesn't happen in Australia because the social ills and problems are the same.

Australia - a person who does it tough is referred to as the true blue Aussie battler. They are championed and upheld for their skills in surviving some of the worst setbacks and poverty you are ever likely to see. The only difference is in the UK the media highlights it very differently pointing out how wrong it is that people are living without the basic of means. In Australia, coping this way you get saluted and told she'll be roight mate'.

Don't bet on not seeing as much poverty, despair and homesless kids, never mind adults, in Oz. It's just being miserable and without in the sun is a better disguise and probably a bit easier to tolerate.

Watch how many poor homeless families migrate from Melbourne to the Gold Coast in winter over there in live near rivers in their cars. Seen it all.

Come to think of it, how do you run a business on a canal boat?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I don't think Bobby was on here 2 years ago actually.

Strange, 2years ago you said you were an electrician:biggrin:

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I don't think Bobby was on here 2 years ago actually.

Very true, but someone else was!:biggrin:

Come to think of it, how do you run a business on a canal boat?

I don't.:wink:

Guest chris955

I would have thought it would be easy and indeed idyllic to be able to run a business from a narrowboat.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I don't.:wink:

Strange thought you've said in the past that you have, just wondered how it was possible?

Guest chris955

I would have thought an office was an office, does it matter of it's in a building or a house or a hot air balloon ?

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I would have thought an office was an office, does it matter of it's in a building or a house or a hot air balloon ?

Hot air ballon, now there's a thought

Is a hell of a lot harder to run an office from a transient address, with no land fax/phone lines or reliable broadband connection - I imagine.

I wouldn't worry Chris. A refrigeration engineer is an electrician (my husband is a electrical engineer :biggrin:) and of course I run my clothing manufacturing business from my boat. Did you not know that??? Off to work right now to my office on my canal boat.:biglaugh:

Put your energy somewhere important like your photos.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I wouldn't worry Chris. A refrigeration engineer is an electrician (my husband is a electrical engineer :biggrin:) and of course I run my clothing manufacturing business from my boat. Did you not know that??? Off to work right now to my office on my canal boat.:biglaugh:

Wow, the refrigeration engineers I know would be offended at that especialy since they're 2 completely different trades!

some thought provokiing stuff here, did I here Jackanory mentioned ?

You know what Peacock? That's not a bad analogy. If only you knew the happy ending I've just had to an ongoing personal drama. I guess my life is a bit like a fairy tale at the moment. Everything has just slotted into place just in the last few weeks.:biggrin: I'm happy.

Guest peacock
You know what Peacock? That's not a bad analogy. If only you knew the happy ending I've just had to an ongoing personal drama. I guess my life is a bit like a fairy tale at the moment. Everything has just slotted into place just in the last few weeks.:biggrin: I'm happy.

Do tell !

Guest chris955

Some people seem more intent on picking holes in others lives rather than just getting on with their idyllic lives.

Shouldn't your office not be in some seedy backstreet ? :wink:

More photo's to follow.

Some people seem more intent on picking holes in others lives rather than just getting on with their idyllic lives.

Shouldn't your office not be in some seedy backstreet ? :wink:

More photo's to follow.

Those fotos bath and the south west that you posted chris?

Guest chris955

Yes Pabs, Bath and the Cotswolds. Both beautiful areas.

Those fotos bath and the south west that you posted chris?

Going back to the original topic of this thread, here's an upto date link on British manufacturing growth for anyone thinking about moving back to the UK but worried about the economy. It's cautious but carefully optimistic.

Manufacturing maintains strong growth

Based on forecast? The last quarter based on fact didn't exactly make good reading..What's going to happen when petrol takes a big rise? We don't just pay at the pumps. I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen in the UK, and speaking so soon after a VAT rise? ..not sure, but don't trust forecasts.

Based on forecast? The last quarter based on fact didn't exactly make good reading..What's going to happen when petrol takes a big rise? We don't just pay at the pumps. I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen in the UK, and speaking so soon after a VAT rise? ..not sure, but don't trust forecasts.

Just to add, manufacturing in the UK may be growing, but only because after 20 years of being stripped there was only one direction it could go - other than becoming totally extinct.

As I said, we call it cautious optimism here and you need to rely on some forecasting to predict trends. I'm in design and manufacturing. One of the reasons for the last quarter's poor figures was due to weeks of artic weather crippling the country. Things have slowly picked up since then.

When you off back to Oz?

Just to add, manufacturing in the UK may be growing, but only because after 20 years of being stripped there was only one direction it could go - other than becoming totally extinct.

Better late than never Peachey :wink: When are you off to Oz exactly?

Archived