House prices, jobs, the economy, UK

Guest cricketbackinengland

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cricketbackinengland

Getting back to the original intention of the thread, I'm noticing two economies in the UK. One is restrictive, one is growth, normal for a period of transition in a financially difficult time.

2011 is the bottom, we are now heading upwards. I think next year will be the turnaround for the country.

As a retail and design and production clothing business, I have seen a steady climb upwards. Our figures are up on last year and we are growing. The mood is lifting and people are spending more. Where I am anyway.

Guest chris955

You are in the best situation to know how things are going, consumers are often the best guage of where an economy is headed. Like you I think judging by most pointers things are on the up which is great for all of us heading home.

Guest shark

with inflation on the rise ,and and the price off fuel going up at the pumps don't see to many people going out spending,and if the price off a barrel oil keeps getting higher i see Britain going further into recession over the next few yrs

Getting back to the original intention of the thread, I'm noticing two economies in the UK. One is restrictive, one is growth, normal for a period of transition in a financially difficult time.

I also have noticed some companies have used it as an excuse to streamline and cut out some of the deadwood from their staff.

Sneaky, but effective.

Houses "down south" are still too expensive, and I can only see the prices increasing again.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
with inflation on the rise ,and and the price off fuel going up at the pumps don't see to many people going out spending,and if the price off a barrel oil keeps getting higher i see Britain going further into recession over the next few yrs

Its grim for millions, especially public sector workers, we are being hammered, not many jobs being created in this area, but theres alot of cuts. Doesn't make sense to me, it will mean less money going into the economy, which means this 3 year financial slump will just carry on.

it will mean less money going into the economy, which means this 3 year financial slump will just carry on.

The money had to come OUT of the economy first to pay these people.

We couldn't afford it during the boom years (hence the year on year increasing of the deficit), we sure can't afford it during the bust years.

Guest chris955

There is very little chance of the UK going back into recession. You do realise that inflation is on the rise here and fuel prices have increased about 20% in the last few weeks ?

Guest shark

Its grim for millions, especially public sector workers, we are being hammered, not many jobs being created in this area, but theres alot of cuts. Doesn't make sense to me, it will mean less money going into the economy, which means this 3 year financial slump will just carry on.
cuts :shocked: come on the Britain is on the up jobs everywhere people are going mad spending lol

Guest peacock
There is very little chance of the UK going back into recession. You do realise that inflation is on the rise here and fuel prices have increased about 20% in the last few weeks ?

I think the jury is still out on that one, espeacially with whats happening in the middle east at the moment.

Double dip recession in Britain still possible, warns Ken Clarke - Telegraph

Guest chris955

Lets not get carried away, things are looking up but we should keep it realistic for the time being :wink:

cuts :shocked: come on the Britain is on the up jobs everywhere people are going mad spending lol

Guest shark

There is very little chance of the UK going back into recession.
so the cost off fuel ,rising interest rates, rising cost off food etc ,cuts to public sector and private sector wound have affect on the economy:shocked: chris things are bad here and are going to get worse .

Guest chris955

When did I say that ? Fuel is rising everywhere as are food prices. What do you know about interest rates rising that no-one else knows ? I don't possess a crystal ball so I can't comment on how bad or otherwise things will or wont be in the future I'm afraid.

so the cost off fuel ,rising interest rates, rising cost off food etc ,cuts to public sector and private sector wound have affect on the economy:shocked: chris things are bad here and are going to get worse .

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Not everywhere is suffering shark, theres a few places that are better than others, unlike Australia, which had 2.7% growth last year and its forecast to do even better this year, great for jobs for those wanting to emigrate.

Guest chris955

As much as I like the banter I will leave you guys to slap eachother on the back, I going to watch some cricket :)

It'll be quite bumpy. I can see it dipping in and out of growth for a while.

The government needs to find something for the people it used to employ, to now do.

Their pay needs to not come from the tax of other workers, but needs to come from customers either in the UK or abroad and fund itself.

The UK needs to start being a producer again. Of what I don't know as workers rights, minimum wage and health & safety mean that India/China/Korea will always be cheaper. We can't get rid of those.

Guest peacock
It'll be quite bumpy. I can see it dipping in and out of growth for a while.

The government needs to find something for the people it used to employ, to now do.

Their pay needs to not come from the tax of other workers, but needs to come from customers either in the UK or abroad and fund itself.

The UK needs to start being a producer again. Of what I don't know as workers rights, minimum wage and health & safety mean that India/China/Korea will always be cheaper. We can't get rid of those.

You make some good points there Bibbs, to compete with many countrys is now damm near imposible, to fill the gap and productively employ all these civil servants will be hard, untill that point they will be a drain on the welfare system which I believe is now underfunded. Where were all the financial brains when this storm was gathering ?.

Where were all the financial brains when this storm was gathering ?.

Filling their own bank accounts to weather the storm.

I don't see Tony Blair, Gordon Brown or any of their mates in the banks short of a penny.

Look over in the US too for all of Bush's mates with their companies cashing in rebuilding Iraq.

All the "brains" were setting up Ponzi schemes to make sure they (and their families) are sorted for life.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It has been said for years that there are too many pen pushers in all types of jobs and the time to cut them was when there was jobs being created, cutting now just adds to the countries problems and its the banks who are largely to blame for causing this mess and they are grasping their big bonusses again and skanking the tax system.

Guest peacock
Filling their own bank accounts to weather the storm.

I don't see Tony Blair, Gordon Brown or any of their mates in the banks short of a penny.

Look over in the US too for all of Bush's mates with their companies cashing in rebuilding Iraq.

All the "brains" were setting up Ponzi schemes to make sure they (and their families) are sorted for life.

Yes, have heard Tony is doing very well with his after diner speaches and book deals, shame he sold the country down the river to make him and the lovely Cherie rich, :mad:

It has been said for years that there are too many pen pushers in all types of jobs and the time to cut them was when there was jobs being created, cutting now just adds to the countries problems and its the banks who are largely to blame for causing this mess and they are grasping their big bonusses again and skanking the tax system.

The problem was that when these government jobs were being created and filled, there were hardly any private jobs being created.

Cutting now does add issues.

But it's immediatly cheaper for the Government to pay unemployment compared to a full salary. But the knock on effects can only be guessed at.

The bankers are only doing what 99% of people would do in the same situation. If I could get a contract that payed me even if I was rubbish, and when I was sacked would give me a massive payout, I would (just like managing Liverpool it would seem).

I think you guys need to wait until the real cuts kick in after April...massive job cuts are predicted unemployment is bound to take a sharp rise...We're in Somerset and the cost of food seems to go up every week, house prices are falling which is good for the buyer, but think of the guys caught up in neg/equity. our local shopping precincts have several charity shops in them as they can't rent them as business loans are not easy to get. Two local restaurants have closed in the last year.

I'm due to leave my job soon, but I'm already told I won't be replaced due to costs, we know a few people out of work, and some on short weeks.

I wouldn't say that life is ruined in the UK, it's not if you tighten your belt..a lot!

To say 'what recession' is silly. of course the country is experiencing a recession and it's narrow minded to deny it because it hasn't effected you. Many families I know personally are struggling at the moment..and worried!

Archived