House prices, jobs, the economy, UK

Guest cricketbackinengland

Guest shark
I think you guys need to wait until the real cuts kick in after April...massive job cuts are predicted unemployment is bound to take a sharp rise...We're in Somerset and the cost of food seems to go up every week, house prices are falling which is good for the buyer, but think of the guys caught up in neg/equity. our local shopping precincts have several charity shops in them as they can't rent them as business loans are not easy to get. Two local restaurants have closed in the last year.

I'm due to leave my job soon, but I'm already told I won't be replaced due to costs, we know a few people out of work, and some on short weeks.

I wouldn't say that life is ruined in the UK, it's not if you tighten your belt..a lot!

To say 'what recession' is silly. of course the country is experiencing a recession and it's narrow minded to deny it because it hasn't effected you. Many families I know personally are struggling at the moment..and worried!

do you work for the daily mail lol

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, have heard Tony is doing very well with his after diner speaches and book deals, shame he sold the country down the river to make him and the lovely Cherie rich, :mad:

Champagnie socilism at it's best.

Add in all the Union guys on their £150k jobs, paid for by the "workers".

It's not left wing vs right wing, it's those in charge lining their pockets. The colour of the tie doesn't make a difference.

Guest shark

i wonder will Cameron &co be taking pay cuts on the wages and expenses ,seeing how they keep tilling us we have no money

To say 'what recession' is silly. of course the country is experiencing a recession and it's narrow minded to deny it because it hasn't effected you.

Totally agree, I know it's there. It's just that it's not *really* effected me. Yet.

I'm not gloating, it's just what's happened.

I do worry for those it is/has effected though.

I've no solution to offer though. As a country we are broke, and have nothing to offer other contries to pay for us to be "not broke", when compared to compeating contries who can offer more for less.

A situation reflected by a lot of people.

i wonder will Cameron &co be taking pay cuts on the wages and expenses ,seeing how they keep tilling us we have no money

They did when they took office.

Coalition Government: David Cameron announces pay cut for ministers - Telegraph

And Gordon cut the PM's pay by £50k just as he left .. what a spiteful little man.

Gordon Brown accepts a pay cut (for David Cameron) - Telegraph

they are still on huge wages ,and expenses .they are taking the ...............

Agreed. Token gesture, but at least they did *something* about their own salaries.

For the work they do are the majority any better than middle managers?

I think in time the UK will pull through relatively well. You have to think back to the Thatcher era when the conservative government was stuffed! the thing that saved the day and as Thatcher always said north sea oil and gas saved them! No-one has given the banks anything, the country bought shares in the banks worth billions of pounds, granted they're not worth that right now, but the banks (through greed) are clawing back to profits, and given time the government will be able to off load shares at a profit.....it'll be damn interesting to see who benefits from the cash though?..pretty predictable

Long live the daily mail:notworthy:

No-one has given the banks anything, the country bought shares in the banks worth billions of pounds

At rock bottom prices.

That's always the thing that gets me .. the banks took a fraction, of what the UK owes.

The rest was spent by the previous administrations over the last 20 years.

I agree Bibbs. It will take time even when the banks break even!

It's pretty hard on a day when the armed forces are taking a hit, and thousands of council workers and families are bracing themselves. the fishing industry is due to take another huge financial hit in their pockets where it will end.

A friend at work has two children in further education colleges. We're in the heart of the country and it's an hour's journey for them..she is now having to leave home at 5.15 am each morning and take them ..almost two hours round trip before starting work, as without EMA she cannot as a single mum afford the £56 bus fare for them to go. but wants them to complete their courses. A local private bus company is facing closure as the morning and afternoon college run was a great source of their daily income!

Makes you wonder if they really realise the knock on damage the cuts are causing...her health and a bus company? It makes you worry!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Staggeringly i heard the news the other day that the government will borrow £10 billion pounds less this year, down from £148 billion to £138 billion, thats even with the cuts. I had to re-read it several times, i can't follow whats going on with the uks finances, we owe nearly a thousand billion pounds and this extra will send it over the trillion pound mark............... who is lending us this money? Is it Australia? They seem to be one of only a handful of countries that are doing great and never went into recession.

Staggeringly i heard the news the other day that the government will borrow £10 billion pounds less this year, down from £148 billion to £138 billion, thats even with the cuts. I had to re-read it several times, i can't follow whats going on with the uks finances, we owe nearly a thousand billion pounds and this extra will send it over the trillion pound mark............... who is lending us this money? Is it Australia? They seem to be one of only a handful of countries that are doing great and never went into recession.

Then add in PFI - which is kept off the books.

and pension liabilities - which are also kept off the books.

Where is the debt?

_47356069_gilt_graph_466.gif

Guest shark

Pension funds ,Investment trusts , Private individuals, Therefore, the interest payment is paid to those who buy the government bonds and gilts

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Damn those news channels telling us we owe nearly one thousand million pounds of debt, i don't know who to believe?

Damn those news channels telling us we owe nearly one thousand million pounds of debt, i don't know who to believe?

Those fig I posted are from 2009 (if that's what you were talking about).

But the posted trillion is minus PFI and Pensions.

Just read that the interest in 2008 was £31billion, and in 2009 was £35billion. Makes me think the £11 interest on my Visa card is okay now.

Guest peacock

Just maintaining interest charges on this amount must keep the UK government busy

Did I really read a post on this thread that claimed there was only a recession on the news? :biggrin: :biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's getting worse not better. Another couple of years of struggle at least. The public sector cuts have not bitten yet.

It'll come good in time but we've not reached the bottom.

Guest chris955

No, I don't think you did read that.

Did I really read a post on this thread that claimed there was only a recession on the news? :biggrin: :biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's getting worse not better. Another couple of years of struggle at least. The public sector cuts have not bitten yet.

The money had to come OUT of the economy first to pay these people.

We couldn't afford it during the boom years (hence the year on year increasing of the deficit), we sure can't afford it during the bust years.

Bibbs, are you in Bibra Lake or back in the UK? from your posts here it sounds like the UK.

No, there was no claim like that. I wrote :-

"From my view of the UK there isn't a recession (never was apart from on the news)."

I know it's there, but from my position/location I've not seen any of it.

Fuel costs and supermarket food costs are about the only way it has impacted me - personally.

No friends are unemployed, no friends have redundancy over their heads.

I'm one of the lucky few.

Guest peacock

Have they started the mass retrenchment of civil sevants yet, that will surely put a lot more unfortunate people on the dole ?

No, there was no claim like that. I wrote :-

"From my view of the UK there isn't a recession (never was apart from on the news)."

I know it's there, but from my position/location I've not seen any of it.

Fuel costs and supermarket food costs are about the only way it has impacted me - personally.

No friends are unemployed, no friends have redundancy over their heads.

I'm one of the lucky few.

You are lucky then. Where I'm from ended up quite reliant on public sector work and the cuts are going to be very very deep here. Funding for regeneration projects have been culled and the area is very much in danger of slipping back into the depression we had in the 80's and early 90's. A very bleak outlook. Though there have been a couple of good announcements of manufacturing work very recently.

Also across the whole country there is very little in the way of annual pay rises and with inflation at around 3.7 last time I heard many of us are being hit in the pocket in some small way.

Just my view from an area that will bear the brunt of this.

Archived