school support worker

wishfulthinking

Guest MaybeOz

Hi,

LSA/TA are called Teachers Aides in Aus.

They don't seem to have many paid jobs in this sector, they appear to opt for individuals helping out on a voluntary basis.

Its worth doing a search on here for 'teachers aide' or google the job title for the state you are headed.

All the best with your plans.

Kari :wubclub:

Need a CV/Resume? PM me or email: thewrittenproof(at)gmail(dot)com

In Melbourne at our school we are Education Aides so maybe search for that too?

You need a 'Working with Childrens' check to work in schools. To apply you require 100 point document check of Medicare card, passport and utility/bank statement (not sure on the latter).

My friend in Mandurah, WA went around the local schools and handed out her resume (they want resumes to work at Maccas :huh:) .

The schools phoned her as sickness cover and that is how she got a permanent job.

In Victoria there is a government site with all school vacancies on but I have no idea about Perth.

I was given a short contract - mine was for 6 months - and I had to re-apply for my own job that was advertised on the site. School had to interview outsiders.

I went through this TWICE then I got a 7 year contract. However, if children move and funding is reduced I am out of a job!

@Ozzbound - Do you know what the government site is for Victoria please?

My family and I are emigrating to Melbourne in May.

I am Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) who will be looking for work ASAP once there.

I am also struggling to find anything on the net!

Vacancies - Careers.vic.gov.au

Didn't really find anything on there :(

Teacher aide jobs are in high demand because there are usually mums who want school conditions for their work while their kids are little. You may find that you have to register and be approved as an aide by the education department and then go and present yourself and your cv on the doorstep of local schools and hope that one fancies you. Because they are lowly paid, usually short term contract and requiring no particular training then they usually tend to go with who they know. If you need something regular and permanent I'd be thinking of a different career.

@Ozzbound - Do you know what the government site is for Victoria please?

My family and I are emigrating to Melbourne in May.

I am Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) who will be looking for work ASAP once there.

I am also struggling to find anything on the net!

Vacancies - Careers.vic.gov.au

Didn't really find anything on there :(

Hi there,

unfortunately that was the site :embarrassed:

there are some advertised in the local newspapers but I don't think our local is online. Like Quoll said they are usually mums that get the jobs, and as a HLTA who worked for the Special Needs Service I have arrived and had to start at the bottom on crap money - which I might add doesn't get much better. I was on a 6 month contract and re-applied for my advertised job (advertised on careers.vic) so even if you find a job it could actually be someone they want to keep but officially have to re-advertise the post. I have said this lots of times but I now have a 7 year contract dependant on funding... so still no secure future! :nah:

Guest Revs30

Ok, well even more stressed now then! My wife has got a job through a relocation package and we are really looking forward to a new life down under with our kids. Like i say, i am an HLTA and am currently earning 21k here in the UK.

If I have to choose a different career i haven't a clue what to do!

STRESSSSEEEEDD!

Archived