Visitors from Home...

Phoenix16

vava!! I'm thinking of buying a 2 bed place just to put an end to all the future stress!!!! You are lovely though, you are willing to babysit! my in laws are here eating and drinking everything I've got but they won't babysit for us to have a night off because its their holiday and why should they!! We've only been married 8 months and I've told them our babysitter costs approx $150 a go she baulked at this but still did not offer us a night out, even though they sit every night eating our food and quaffing our vino, I refuse point blank to ask, I see it as a matter of principle and shame on them!!

fab posts, have had a real chuckle as it all sound so familiar!! Hubby spoke to his mum last week to say we have had offer on house & should be in Oz about June time, she then went through a list of our things, such as washing machine, etc, that she would kindly take of our hands to save us shipping them!!! (no money offered either) Today she called to say the family here are thinking of coming over for Xmas to us (ie, parents SIL & her kids) for about a month - WTF! I know she really means well but hubby family are good ole London folk that tend to shout & effing & jeffing at everything. Roll on the sedatives, he he

You know folks, the way your family members have been behaving is not normal. Being dutch myself (partner is british) and having lived here in the UK here now, the one thing that always ticks me off enormously is people being so polite they don't 'dare' to confront a friend/family/collaegue with any misbehaving.

Take a lesson from the Dutch girl and just confront them with it - tell 'm it's not acceptable and they need to get their butt into gear or they are no longer welcome <- I believe that's a totally normal thing to do.

fab posts, have had a real chuckle as it all sound so familiar!! Hubby spoke to his mum last week to say we have had offer on house & should be in Oz about June time, she then went through a list of our things, such as washing machine, etc, that she would kindly take of our hands to save us shipping them!!! (no money offered either) Today she called to say the family here are thinking of coming over for Xmas to us (ie, parents SIL & her kids) for about a month - WTF! I know she really means well but hubby family are good ole London folk that tend to shout & effing & jeffing at everything. Roll on the sedatives, he he

Lynda!! Trust me unless you are the tightest family ever and you really want them to come for Christmas avoid at all costs!! Christmas here is summer and we found that our christmas holiday was also our summer holiday! We've made a pact that as holidays here tend to be for 4 weeks annually we need them for us and are not willing to share them just as we didn't share them in the UK. We did actually invite both families to come over at christmas, they declined as it was too expensive and looking back thank goodness, we had a fabulous christmas together and with the new friends we've met, we have a week off at easter and possibly a week in October but thats it, so in fact our christmas was the family break we needed, our summer break too and in future, no houseguests from home!!!

You know folks, the way your family members have been behaving is not normal. Being dutch myself (partner is british) and having lived here in the UK here now, the one thing that always ticks me off enormously is people being so polite they don't 'dare' to confront a friend/family/collaegue with any misbehaving.

Take a lesson from the Dutch girl and just confront them with it - tell 'm it's not acceptable and they need to get their butt into gear or they are no longer welcome <- I believe that's a totally normal thing to do.

Oh Nathalie!!! I wish it was that easy!! Maybe its the brit in me but Im dealing with people who just dont think they are doing anything wrong and confronting them will cause a rift that possibly could never be repaired. They need to be 'managed' in a way that maintains a relationship with their son and grand daughter but also means no further visits that involve staying in our home, I think its doable. Put it this way, my hubby does know the consequences of a further house visit from them and the possible need to find a good divorce lawyer :biglaugh:

Guest craignkaren

hug enclosed jessie123... ive got a mum like that too. everything is someone elses fault or problem... if it rains its my fault! i now accept that theres nowt as queer as folk and its her loss that shes not valuing her lovely son and family. ..bearing in mind hes done such a terrible thing choosing another woman over her!!!! (after all shes done for him, how rude!!) if she starts put your hand up like a policeman stopping traffic and say "no" to stop her in her tracks and walk away, it works wonders honestly! my mate in melbourne arranges trips within oz when her rellies come over to stop her killing them, they have no choice in it... she says things like we knew you'd get bored here so weve arranged a tour (thro' a company) around the vineyards in adelaide for a week,we knew you'd love it...then change the subject quick!!!lol good luck, failing all this put a coathanger in your mouth to keep a smile in place! :0)

Archived