Salary packaging:a good idea?

mr luvpants

Has anybody taken out the salary packaging that is offered by the Queensland government departments? Someone told me that if you sacrifice your super contributions, you don't get the additional payment from the government? Also I am seriously interested in the novated lease scheme and wod be interested in any ones thought on whether they thought it was a good or a bad idea?

John

Dont know about the Queensland government scheme but I have always sal sacrificed into the ACT gov scheme (which was pathetic BTW). I now also sacrifice into a NFP scheme which effectively gives me $16k tax free - it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned but with this scheme I just get my money back in my hand and dont have to put it into super. Anything you put into super will be doing you good (and the gov co-contribution for low income earners isnt much anyway and many gov workers would be above the threshold for it) especially if you are older and rushing towards retirement.

Not so sure about novated car leases. When I did think about doing that, there was no way I was going to get enough mileage to avoid the FBT rates and there is no point ending up with a car which has had miles put on it just to avoid the higher tax rates. If you do a lot of miles in the normal course of events then yes it might be worth it but to have to go on long country drives (with motel fees on top) just to get the miles up doesnt make too much sense (one of my colleagues had to do that!)

• 2 months later...

I salary sacrifice with Q Health and I think it is a great idea. I couldn't tell you figures ie how much better off I am or anything but it's good. I sacrifice the mortgage and my super payments. You can go to electricity and all that but I haven't done that yet but I will. I get the additional super payment from the government. I do not have a novated lease car but I know someone who does. She is happy. But for me it didn't seem that good cos you pay for a long time and you can usually get a deal if you go direct to car sales shop. Sorry just saw the post I know this is late but maybe it'll help.

Archived