Will our situation financially viable?

Guest Angelica

On Phil down under the chip shop couple had a british business too - so could possibly send to other Aus states.

Might be a bit cheaper than coming from UK; as their shipping would be less as they would be buying in bulk.

just a thought. All the best to the OP for their new life in Sydney and keep us posted how you get on.

I didnt think you were allowed to put food in your container.....did you declare it on your shipping list..........and does this extend to liquids like kitchen/bathroom cleaning stuff and the like............

Yes, we declared it. They don't usually mind things like that as long as the packets aren't opened, it's the plant and animal products which would cause a problem.

Our packers said we shouldn't pack liquids, but were happy to take unopened packets of washing powder etc (my bulk buy bargains!! We had a 40' container to fill!).

Yes, we declared it. They don't usually mind things like that as long as the packets aren't opened, it's the plant and animal products which would cause a problem.

Our packers said we shouldn't pack liquids, but were happy to take unopened packets of washing powder etc (my bulk buy bargains!! We had a 40' container to fill!).

Oh christ......the Mrs is going to have a field day....Makro won't know whats hit them !!!!!! do they do a 100' container size :biglaugh:

Thanks Quoll, its really helpful.

In hindsight I think time off for my OH isn't really going to be a luxury we can afford, so our plans have since changed.

He has already been offered one job at the higher end the salaries we had hoped for, he just needs to confirm the finer points of the contract and the job is his. Its lucky that he has contacts through his old job which have helped him secure this job (oh and a quick interview via Skype!).

So I'm going to settle our 3 year old into oz whilst hubby gets settled in his job and then after a few months will look for childcare and will try and get a job myself.

Since posting I have been put in touch a friends sister who owns a recruitment agency in Sydney who now has my CV and seems confident I would find work no problem given my experience, so who knows.

I have also increased the costs of food and added $500 for childcare once I'm working so it might give us a better idea of what we will be left with.

We have also changed our minds after seeing Mosman described as a slightly "poncy" area to live, its the last thing we want to move into, so are now looking at other areas. I just wish there was a train line that went up to the Northern beaches to avoid a bus or car commute of an hour as Queenscliff looks like a nice place to live, but we don't want to spend an hour getting to and from work.

We are also looking at Waverton, Neutral Bay and Cremorne. I would move to Manly again but I have images of it being overrun by backpackers now and we want more of a family environment.

So if anyone knows any areas that are good for families, good commutes into CBD, close-ish to the beaches and not too pricey I would love to know.

:biggrin:

Manly is still nice!

Archived