Taking U.K food?

foy465

Any kind of fresh food is a no-no but all that you mention is ok (I think) and yes you MUST declare it all - I got rumbled with a pack of rescue remedy pastilles (thought of them as medicine not food!) and was read a caution - not the best welcome to Oz! I needed the pastilles after that :)))

But seriously why bother? Yes, things are a bit different here, chocolate especially but if you're migrating you're better off just adapting and getting used to it. Depending where you are you will probably find a British section in the supermarket and possibly a British shop if you really must have a 'taste of home'

Most people struggle to keep to the luggage allowance when migrating, I wouldn't waste and weight on food.

Jules x

Wow! can't believe they cautioned you on the pastilles!

I know what you mean, at first I thought nope I am not taking anything foody but now I am thinking maybe I should take a bit for the kids mainly...I don't know. :confused:

Take a look at this page on the AQIS website. In particular this leaflet covers what you can and cannot bring in with you.

They are very strict, you will get checked with a sniffer dog, and if you're carrying anything then there's a chance you'll get caught. There are similar restrictions when travelling between states too.

The first time I landed in Oz I had my bag emptied out (nothing in there, fortunately), and a couple of presents opened up. A friend was once stopped for having a few teabags on her.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Joker

Any fresh foods or plant matter are not permitted. Packet stuff, tins and all processed stuff is fine. We just made a list of everything that we had and handed it over to customs (as do parents when they bring over fresh rations). Declare EVERYTHING, otherwise they will get you. They will decide whether you can bring it through or not but never try and conceal anything as they get quite nasty and you can easily get a fine of several hundred dollars. Even though we declared what we thought was everything we had forgotten a packet of sweets in my daughter's rucksack bought at the airport on the way out. They stood there, checked our list and asked if there was anything else. I said no. They asked if we had any "lollies". I said no as we genuinely didn't have any lollies. However, their lollies were not what we thought our lollies were. So they went to my daughter's rucksack and pulled out the "lollies" (aka sweets in proper English) and a lot of grovelling on my part ensued to prevent him giving me a two hundred dollar fine. Just not what you want after a long journey and not having had much sleep for several days due to the excitement of moving and emotion of having said goodbye to all your friends and family. Can be quite stressful. So DECLARE or BEWARE.

Guest The Joker

As far as customs on entry to Oz are concerned, toiletries are OK and no need to declare. However, security restrictions at UK customs have limits on the sizes and contents of all things liquid - and that DOES include shampoo, toothpaste, perfumes etc. You need to speak to the airline you are flying with for the accurate and current limits and packaging requirements.

Hi can any one please tell me if perfume, make up, deodorant and shampoo etc is counted as liquid and has to be declared or can be packed in my suitcase ?? Thanx in advance :wink:

I filled a large plastic box with lots of stuff like this and also precription cream and meds, we sent it in my container. Meant we had a bit of famiiraity around us until i had time to shop around for equivaents. We had no probelms with customs.

Cal x

I'm not sure tea bags would be allowed as they have organic material inside ?

I think unopened things may be ok ie buscuits, chocalates etc.

Probably not a half packet of buscuits.

Just guessing really. Probably not worth taking that sort of stuff with you anyway.

Declare it all.

I know from watching Border Security that food is basically anything you could put in your mouth or ingest.

We always bring a packet of biscuits and a jar of coffee with us.

We ALWAYS declare them. As a result you walk past all the queues at Immigration and have a chat with a nice customs man. Sometimes they want to look, but they are permitted items. It just gets you through quicker!

We always bring a packet of biscuits and a jar of coffee with us.

We ALWAYS declare them. As a result you walk past all the queues at Immigration and have a chat with a nice customs man. Sometimes they want to look, but they are permitted items. It just gets you through quicker!

That was exactly what I was going to comment.

Always go through "goods to declare" :wink:

The queues are way shorter, and because you are being very open, they actually dont give any hassle either.

We have brough packaged herbs, sweets (lollies) and plenty of other weird & wonderful things (wife is Dutch, so has favourites as well) and we have never had a problem at all. If its pre-packaged and well sealed you should be fine.

Be honest & open and you can be through customs in a flash.

That was exactly what I was going to comment.

Always go through "goods to declare" :wink:

The queues are way shorter, and because you are being very open, they actually dont give any hassle either.

We have brough packaged herbs, sweets (lollies) and plenty of other weird & wonderful things (wife is Dutch, so has favourites as well) and we have never had a problem at all. If its pre-packaged and well sealed you should be fine.

Be honest & open and you can be through customs in a flash.

Can you really bring herbs in?

Sorry, meant to write spices.

my wife always brings about 10-20 packets at a time of supermarket prepacked spices and never had a problem.

They were from a Dutch supermarket and i'm sure customs have no idea what "gehakt kruiden" & "Shoarma kruiden" mean :laugh:

Guest siamsusie
Sorry, meant to write spices.

my wife always brings about 10-20 packets at a time of supermarket prepacked spices and never had a problem.

They were from a Dutch supermarket and i'm sure customs have no idea what "gehakt kruiden" & "Shoarma kruiden" mean :laugh:

Gehakt kruiden (mincemeat herbs) would be difficult enough to pronounce let alone know the meaning of for some:biggrin:

Susie

Guest siamsusie

I bring in Saffron all the time ( much cheaper) Buddys mum and many Thai spices and have all my declarables in one bag , custom ready... I havent had any issues to date.

Susie

Archived