Teddy Bears - genuine concern

Ammosaph

Is there anything in the horror story I've heard that customs won't let you bring teddies with you? Me and OH are genuinely upset by the prospect that certain fluffy friends of 34 and 40 years respectively might be barred!

Can someone please put our minds to rest? :no:

It depends what they're filled with. If they're stuffed with straw they'd need to be treated when they get to Australia and it's not cheap. My mum's 60 year old Christopher had to be gamma irradiated (several hundred $!). If they're not filled with a natural, organic stuff, they'll be ok.

Oh poor bears, yes, if their innards are organic they will either have to be treated or euthanazed or left in UK with some kind extended rellies! We recently remembered just in time that a Tiggerish member of our family who has been handed down to the next generation and in a past life has travelled the world, might have been put into perpetual custody on our return to Australia because of his organic innards (they didnt seem to be quite so pedantic about it a few decades ago) so we didnt want to risk it. As it was, the DGD was beginning to be quite upset when the very nice Quarantine man spent rather too long investigating the wooden limbs of her newly acquired Heidi doll so I cant imagine how she would have been had he taken to feeling up the Tigger. So basically, check out the innards!

Hi

We bought loads of cuddly toys in our container including several in our check in luggage on the flight over.

Like other people have said so long as the stuffing is inorganic it is ok!

From what we were told the customs officers are more concerned with "soil" and stuff on shoes, garden items etc rather than disecting cuddly toys. :yes:

Guest roaminnomore

Hope so, we vac packed ours and they 'should' be in transit as we speak!!! Two of them are 30 and 45 years old. x

Hi

From what we were told the customs officers are more concerned with "soil" and stuff on shoes, garden items etc rather than disecting cuddly toys. :yes:

This is true - when my son arrived late last year they took away his boots and his joggers - neither of which were caked in mud, I must add - and washed them to their satisfaction because the running and walking he had been doing was in countryside Yorkshire and Cambridgeshire. So a good scrub of all footwear with water and a wire brush is recommended before you bring them.

Hope so, we vac packed ours and they 'should' be in transit as we speak!!! Two of them are 30 and 45 years old. x

They may well go through with no problem. Mine did the first time. It was the second time he entered the country that he was 'stopped'.

What they pick up on seems to be a bit arbitary - our wooden bark pictures, wicker baskets etc were fine, but our chairs and teddy had to be treated. Some people have no problem with anything and others have to have everything either treated, destroyed or sent back.

As the others have said though, it's the stuff with soil on it which they have to be most careful about.

The only one we left out was a lizard bought in Australia but filled with sand - I'd heard they'd destroy those anyway.

I seriously regret leaving my feather duvets, pillows and cushions as I think I was worrying overmuch as most people didn't even think about those things but sometimes you might get a jobsworth.

Thank you everyone - you've really put our minds to rest. I think all have inorganic stuffing - although I might perform some minor surgery on a couple just to check!

Silly really but as our Oz dream is slowly becoming a reality (having just got WA SS and therefore jumped into Cat 2 queue) its this sort of thing I'm now starting to think about.

:laugh:

Archived